SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

What are your goals when you design your garden?

melissa_thefarm
14 years ago

I have several goals in mind when I plan a section of garden, and many of them have nothing to do with each other. I want to grow certain plants, for example Tea roses and hardy lavenders (no brainers), rosemary and box (some thought required), and Osmanthus and ceanothus (caution called for). I want to fill up the garden with plants, finding varieties suitable to those areas that are stony, dry, shady, compacted, or seasonally wet. I want all the plants to go together to make a beautiful garden--as I said, none of these three goals has any necessary relation to the others: it's my job to make everything work together. I want the garden to be (relatively) low maintenance, becoming more so with time as the plants mature; and I want it to be a garden with low water and fertilizer needs, and one that doesn't require spraying. My goal is to establish something approaching an environmental equilibrium requiring low intervention by the gardener, though this will always be necessary.

My idea of a satisfactory garden is one that offers a great deal to look a closely and that is also handsome at mid-view and even at a distance. Our garden is small for the last, but it's set in open countryside and I have to keep it in mind. It will improve as it matures: it's hard for a garden to be impressive when it has no mature trees or shrubs. I want it to offer something to look at most parts of the year. I want it to be comfortable to walk and to sit in: right now we have a crying need for shade in the summertime, for example; while a couple of small grass terraces created by bringing in dirt have made comfortable south-facing areas to lounge in the sun on sunny fall and winter days. As I hinted before, I also want it to be a biologically healthy place, with healthy soil. I don't know whether the use of so many exotic species and hybrids is wise in this sense or not.

One more thing: my garden is the home of my rose collection, though it's not strictly a rose garden, just a garden with a great many roses.

What are your goals when planning your garden?

Melissa

Comments (20)