SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

Right hole, wrong rose

sherryocala
14 years ago

Have you ever...

My original rose bed from 2007 has been sitting there for months with a huge (a relative term since nothing is huge about my yard) blank space after the removal of Spice and Natchitoches Noisette. The ends were fine with Louis Philippe at one and Mrs B R Cant between the oaks at the other. Belinda's Dream was moved to Spice's spot when he went bye-bye, leaving a space next to LP of 8ish x 9ish. Typically, my planting plans materialize as I'm gathering the planting accoutrements at ground zero and just before I pick up the shovel, and I was really pleased with today's plan. It would find homes for THREE roses and get them out of my pot row. Mme Scipion Cochet at the back midway between LP & BD with a good 5' from all centers. So as not to repeat the bad plan of the original which left the back roses inaccessible, I was careful to choose a smaller rose for the front, Souv de la Malmaison, with some space for getting through. But my pie de résistance was to put SdlM, Climbing in between and slightly to the right to pillar on a 4x4 in the middle of the bed. I thought it would be a thing of beauty to have the bush and climber in bloom together (though not often, apparently) with the medium pink of MSC behind.

So MSC goes in - lovely. The post and SdlM, Cl go in - lovely. SdlM bush's spot is expanding the bed a bit into virgin territory, i.e., sand, so I get it all amended, dig the hole, drop in a shovelful of composted horse manure, couple handfuls of alfalfa & milorganite, pick up the rose, de-pot it, hold it upside-down so I can sprinkle mycorrhizae all over & under on the roots, sprinkle just a touch in the bottom of the hole, place the rose in the hole but it comes apart so I sprinkle some more myco in the gaps, and fill in the hole with amended soil. Excellent! While I'm bent over double, I figure I'll remove the name tag looped around one cane. While my clumsy glove-covered fingers are fighting with the tag, I'm thinking, "Rose Petals Nursery doesn't put tags on their roses. Didn't I buy you from RPN? Hmmm, what does this tag say anyway?" WHAT???? White Maman Cochet??? Well, dang, I must have picked up the wrong pot, so back to pot row, but no SdlM. Huh? Where did she go? I ask myself while scratching my head. Scratching my head works every time. Oh, man, I planted her a week ago in the front yard! So much for pièce de résistance! And on top of that, WMC ain't gonna fit in that spot. So I very deftly insert my shovel up against WMC's backside, remove her & drop her into her old pot, kind of bulging a bit. Now what? Ah, ha! Run go get Baronne Prevost who will be a perfect fit, not too wide and not too tall since I'll have to prune her back after every bloom to keep the BS under control. When I bought her a couple weeks ago, I had no clue where she was going. So my mess-up turned into a blessing that I will easily be able to smell as I walk past. And that bed is complete, hopefully, for a long time. Feels very good!

Sherry

P.S. Sometimes it doesn't pay to plan. On the other hand I don't mind being overruled when it works out so well - which, of course, it always does.

Comments (6)