SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emilykro

Fireplace upgrade goes wrong, right? Disportportionate insert, etc.

Emily Kronberg
6 years ago
We bought our first home last January, it's a pretty nicely done flip, and we love it! We've made a few small and a few larger changes since moving in— fence, concrete, lighting, etc. All has gone well so far, well that's up for debate with this latest project — we decided to cap our chimney, insulate it, and had a company complete the work and pop in an electric insert (the previous chimney was wood burning). Long story short, the company and I had to renegotiate and stop work for a bit, because the company wasn't going to hardware the electric unit in place; it turned out that the company was going to run an extension cord from the outlets on another walk (a far wall, which was not what I had originally agreed to). I worked out the compromise so the company would make things right, but didn't stick around for the other changes that were being discussed as I left (I figured they were upgrades and I had to go to work)... I left my wife Alex to supervise the work (aka work from home while construction was happening).
Next time I came home to the house , I saw the job was "complete" and I was shocked at what the fireplace, surround, and overall FINAL work looks like... ITS DISPROPORTIONAL and lacks cohesion. I don't want to offend my wife, especially since the money was significant, but I can only see ugly when I look downstairs —VERY DISAPPOINTING.
What can I do to improve the look? Or is it me?
FYI, This is one of our last rooms to not be decorated with furniture specific to this house, so I included a few photos to give the overall vibe of the house. The house is a tri-level, this is the lower "family room" area.

Comments (35)