SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wanttogarden

Pruning mistake. Help

wanttogarden
16 years ago

As I mentioned in my other posts, I am new to taking care of roses. My roses always fended for themselves and from time to time, my "Mow and Blow" gardener took pitty on them and did some dead heading.

This year, I decided to take care of my old roses plus the new ones I planted. Well, since I live in CA and my Roses grow very tall canes ( up to 7 -8 ft) long, I decided to follow the David Austin pruning advice and give them "summer pruning". Every time I dead headed, I cut the cane shorter and shorter to "incorage new busher growth". Problem is after 2 flushes I do not have any more roses buding on my bushes. I chucked it up to summer heat and dormancy. But yesterday, I read the following tips.

"If you also want to prune for size control, you can go as far down as two leaflets above the previous cut. Pruning beyond the previous cut tells the rose you don't want it to bloom. Remember that hybrid tea and grandiflora rose stems tend to grow at least 18 inches after each pruning before blooming, so if you only prune the minimum amount you will have a very tall (and possibly leggy) rose by the end of summer."

I have been cutting too low beyod the previous cut. Now what do I do? Do I say good by to my roses untill next year?

Can they be activated again?

Thanks for advice.

Comments (4)