SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karin_mt_2

I made a mistake pruning my espalier apple trees. Advice, please!

karin_mt
5 years ago

I have three newly-planted dwarf apple trees for my first foray into espalier. I'm doing the style with three horizontal wires.

I cut the trees down to around 14" tall to force new growth down low on the tree. Then we put up the trellis and support wire. And now, whoops, I see that the wire is higher than the cut. The wire is supposed to be a couple of inches below the first cut. In hindsight, I made that first cut too low. Bummer.

Obviously, I can move the wire, although I like the height that it's at because I'd have room to grow tulips or lettuce underneath the lowest tier of apple branches. But I'm looking at how the trees have responded to that initial pruning, and the buds below the cut didn't spring to life as I'd hoped. On two of the trees, there's only one new shoot growing where I made the cut. I need 3 (one to go left, one to go right, one to go up). There are shoots coming along down lower, but they are too low to be useful, I think.

So I wonder if I can let the new sprout on those trees grow up a a bit past the wire, then cut it, and then prompt new shoots to come off of that new growth?

On the third tree I have lots of sprouts and lots of options.

I'm open to suggestions! Thank you.

This is a Spartan on a mini-dwarf rootstock. You can see there is only one good shoot at the top.

This is Honeycrisp on a dwarf rootstock. Similar situation as the first one.

This is Liberty, on a dwarf rootstock. Many more options on this one, but I'm still not exactly sure what my next move should be.

Comments (9)