SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
etherealsunshine5

Espalier Forum, Please? Pics and Experience with your espaliers?

About 4 years ago, I began planning an apple and pear espalier during some research on living (willow) fences and seeing some beautiful fruit espalier examples on the web. I gleaned what tips I could during the planning process from any tutorials I could find online, and carefully chose my varieties. (In fact, this project was originally called CAPANAPAC, as I was going to include two cherry trees on the ends and a nectarine in the center...I've since learned that stone fruits grow in a very different habit than apples and pears and require different pruning techniques.)

I searched high and low on Gardenweb, but found references to espaliers and pleaching few and far between, with very few photos, and on various forum categories (Fruit and Orchards, Vines, Topiary...) Can we get some love for Espalier and Pleaching techniques on Gardenweb? Several posts on espaliers begin with, "Can we get an Espalier forum on Gardenweb?" or "I don't know where to post this..." But I digress...

I planted my eleven custom bench grafts in spring of 2013 two feet apart to be trained into a Belgian fence pattern. I had to replace four grafts that didn't make it through the winter, and another that wasn't thriving with mail-order bareroot trees this spring/early summer. I'm pretty happy with my second-year fence and I'm finally seeing a bit of shape emerging from the row of "sticks" that my SO griped about (and almost drove over in the snow).

Hopefully, some gardeners with more established espaliers will chime in with photos of their projects...a lot of the longer espalier threads are several years old. This is a technique that takes time and patience to see a final product. (I'll take a nice photo or two when I get home.)

Some Q&A?
What rootstock did you use for your project?
I used M7 for the benchgrafted apples, OHxF87 for the benchgrafted pears, and Stark Bro's "semi-dwarf" rootstock for the replacements. I probably could have gone dwarf with the apples, but I wanted the vigor to match the apples somewhat and it was a good match for our amended clay soil. M7 rootstock might be more suited to a candelabra form with longer branches.

How long did your espalier take to bear fruit (if it is fruiting)?
Too early to tell for me, but I'm curious if the judicious pruning and semi-vigorous M7 will produce on the early side (I'm hoping for a few fruits next year).

Your favorite varieties (spur-bearing fruits or ornamentals) for your espalier experiments (or those to avoid)? I wanted to espalier a couple of Flying Dragon bitter oranges, but they didn't make it through the winter in the garage.

Your favorite (pruning or other) mistakes? I've only made 3 pruning cuts that elicited profanity afterward: when cutting off what I thought was a side shoot only to realize it was the growing tip of the neighboring tree poking past where I had them tied together(!) AND when planting the last replacement whip--on the end--I mindlessly lopped it off at 18" like the other whips, only to realize I could have left the extra 18" of leader since it was on the end...that was a tough one.

What do you enjoy about espalier technique? I enjoy the complexity of the form and the meticulous pruning. It already draws focus to the perennial guild bed I've planted under and around it.

Questions you'd like to ask the espalier (or pleaching) scientists here?

I haven't been able to find a definitive answer as to whether or not pears and apples will pleach over time...I have read that grafts usually only take with an interstitial graft, but nothing on the long-term grafting together of two trees. Anyone have insight on apple/pear pleaching?

Tips or tricks you'd like to share?
-I just found a source yesterday that said M7 is incompatible with Northern Spy, one of the grafts that didn't survive...oh, well.
-When weaving a Belgian fence pattern, your first horizontal row of crosses should all cross over the same way for a basketweave (e.g. east branch under/west branch over on each tree)...it seems counterintuitive, but it's really a basketweave at 45 degrees, so the over/under weaving should alternate along each branch. I sat in the garden for 20 minutes before I finally sketched it out to make sure. Don't be a wimp when it comes to pruning, but also, don't space out!

Favorite espalier resources?
OrangePippin.com has a vast database of characteristics to help choose the right apple and pear varieties (old and new)...and I even found a rootstock tree height calculator today. This helped a LOT when weeding out tip-bearing varieties, comparing disease resistance, and planning overlapping pollination and harvest. I wanted a couple with showy flowers, a couple for baking, a cider/juice apple, and the rest for eating/storing
height calculator: http://www.orangepippintrees.com/treeheights.aspx
I got my benchgrafts from wagonwheelorchard, but they are working without the supplemental scion resources they used to have...they also did not offer rootstock choices in 2014 (M111, OHxF87 only). They still have an amazing selection of rare scionwood and a lot of spur-bearing sports not available elsewhere.
A pretty basic tutorial with nice diagrams: http://www.growables.org/information/EspalierNew.htm

If we can't have an espalier forum, we can make a massive informative (and pic-heavy) thread at least!

Comments (17)