SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artic_gw

Espalier apples trees, many questions...

artic
16 years ago

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of buying a new house that contains some wonderful property that I'd like to start a small orchard on. There exists a wonderfully 175+ ft (on the east-west horizontal) area that I would like to plant a great deal of apple trees on, each a different variety, and I think it would be spectacular to espalier these trees. The only problem being I have had no experience with espalier, only knowledge is what I have read, and info seems to be sparse. As such I've got a handful of questions that I'm hoping some of you experts can point me in the right direction to answering.

1. Are there any good references for espalier especially for fruit trees, books, fliers, websites, etc?

I'm under the impression that I can plant semi-dwarf (M26) apples about 6 ft apart if I'm using a espalier method, is this a good, bad, or even a terrible assumption?
I'm looking to maximize the varieties of plants as much as possible, and I have had good experience grafting, any good recommendations for sources of root stock / scion wood? Barring that, is there any good place to purchase variety of different trees at a discount? I can't at the moment afford the number of trees I would like at the standard going rate of $20 to $25 per tree that most catalogs charge now that I'm buying the property, and local stores just don't have the varieties.

Any other ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks in advance

Robert

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH