SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carebear3117

Pruning apple tree-help please

carebear3117
16 years ago

I have a semi-dwarf September Ruby apple tree that I would like to learn how to prune but I don't even know where to start. I have read a couple of books on apple pruning as well as searched the internet for instructions but I feel like I am getting mixed messages as to which is the best way to prune an apple tree. I want to make sure I prune the tree properly to avoid problems down the road. For my particular situation, I would like to keep it no higher than 10-12 feet so that I can pick the fruit. My tree is about 2 years old and has three leaders growing out of the top. From what I have read I should be removing the competing leaders but I was told recently that I should just tie down the three leaders with padded ropes and rocks to spread the three leaders in a open vase form. I have attached the picture below. Can someone please help me to get me started with how to prune this tree for this year and also if anyone has recommendation for some good pruning books I would be grateful.

Thank you

Carrie

[IMG]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii49/carebear3117/appletree30apr08.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (8)