SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swede1234

BLOOMING PROBLEMS, & PRUNING HONEYCRISP & HARAL-RED APPLE TREES..

swede1234
8 years ago

I have had two so-called dwarf apple trees which I've tried to get apples from for 7-10 years, but they have NEVER bloomed at all until this year! The trees are: Honeycrisp Apple, and Haralson-Red, a hybrid of the Haralson APPLE....

As I said these were supposed to be dwarf, or semi dwarf trees, I cut down the original Haralson apple tree I had many years ago, because it just got to big and high for me to harvest, and the Honeycrisp was a new Minnesota Apple at the time, which I loved and thought it would be a good replacement..

Anyway, I've posted before about what can I do to get them to bloom... but no help was forthcoming, other than mentioning fertilizer, and soil/water issues....

Now, THIS YEAR, I was stunned when I noticed a week ago I DO have apples growing on both trees way on the very top of the highest branches! Only 3 apples are on the Honeycrisp, and 4 of them on the Haral-Red, but they are growing on the highest branches of each tree, which is way too high for ME to reach to harvest in a normal way... I have a son who may be able to pick them with a huge stepladder when ripe this year, to get my first taste of the apples from my trees, but if we get MORE apples next year, I'll be hard pressed to reach them.

So, MY questions!

1. What can do to encourage blooming next year... I've checked water, and soil samples, and that was never any problem...

I've heard some folk tales of beating the tree branches to stress and encourage the tree to go into propagation mode rather than leaf production, but it sounds pretty far-fetched for me... Is there any truth to this stuff?

2. More importantly, is there any way to cut/prune? the tree severely removing MANY branches, especially from the top of the tree, so the tree will grow into a manageable height, and become pretty much the dwarf it was advertised at the nursery when I bought them? I remember a neighbor who just hacked HIS apple tree branches a few years ago, and it looked just awful the next year, but it eventually recovered and continues even today to produce fruit.

Those of you who are apple tree fanciers please try to help me!

Thanks, Gary

If one man, and a few appleseeds can change a world.... I can too! ...Jonathon Chapman (Johnny Appleseed)

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH