SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaitu_gw

Grape pruning mistake...Am I out of luck?

kaitu
13 years ago

Hey all, I just recently moved and the place I moved to had a HUGE, neglected grape plant devouring the back deck (plant is at least 20 years old but wasn't tended at ALL by the previous tenants who were there for 10+ years). A week or so ago I decided to trim it back off the deck and, in doing so, took out the 2-3 vines that were holding it to the deck. After the entire thing collapsed I figured it would be best to completely cut it back instead of leaving it piled on the ground all winter.

I now have about 4 heaping pickup truck loads of trimmings to dispose of and one VERY large and strong plant (the trunk is at least 16-18" around) with 4-5 branches that are each at least 5-6 feet long (longest one runs about 10-15 feet along the edge of the deck) and 5-8" around. Considering the slightly warmer weather we've been having and everything have I irreversibly ruined this plant? I know the cuts are starting to show sap and the lowest branch seemed to actually be dripping water yesterday morning. Is there anything I should do now to help it or should I just wait until late winter/early spring to look for anything that looks sick and cut it off then?

I know I should have waited to cut it back but, as dense as the vines had grown, I was afraid it would damage the deck more then it already has over the winter. It has really good fruit but is more decorative then anything.

Sorry for the really long post but any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)