SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Did I Luck Out With Bonica?

I went to our local little nursery today to look for a lavender starflower (Grewia occidentalis) to put in a spot with morning sun and afternoon shade where several roses had already failed. At the entrance there was a 5-gallon pot covered with smallish pink flowers in clusters, which turned out to be Bonica, although the tag was missing. I had always heard this was a good rose but would like to know specifically whether this rose will do well in a hot and dry climate. I bought it, so I hope the answer is yes. For anyone in a similar climate who has it, can you tell me how tall it grows for you? All comments are welcome.

Ingrid

P.S. I did get the Grewia, the only one they had, and it's supposedly drought-tolerant and easy care - yay!

Comments (48)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Here it was strictly a once-bloomer. Spectacular in spring and then zippo the rest of the year. Long gone.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I have no idea how large it will be for you but here it was used a lot for hedges when it first came out (pre Knock Out times) and it got about 4 feet tall and wide. Of course it had to be pruned back severely in the spring each year due to die back, which you probably won't need to do. It didn't seem to mind being whacked down though and it did rebloom all summer.

• Related Discussions

My zone 5 luck may have run out

Q

Comments (16)
    I'm part of the team that designed the 2012 USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map. The zones are based on the average of the lowest temperatures each winter for the 30 years ending 2005. Then divided into 5 degree zones. But on the interactive map you can find out exactly what your average low temperature has been based on zip code, so you can know how close to a zone edge you might be. If you are zone 5a, your average low temperature over 30 years could be anywhere from -15 degree F to -20 degree F. But you get the same zone if your average is -15.1 as if it is -19.9. We specifically say that the temperature is based on the average, not the lowest it has ever been or the lowest it ever will be. But like they say about the stock market, past behavior is not a guarantee of future behavior. Of course, the scale of the USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map only goes down to about one-quarter mile, so you still have to know the topography of your own garden. My official zone is 7a, but I'm really 6B because I'm surrounded by Rock Creek Park, the largest urban green space in the country. There isn't enough black top and concrete to hold the heat and lots of tree canopy (although less now after the derecho). Some genuses have Societies that are now doing independent testing for cold hardiness. But there is no real convention for using a particular amount of exposure as the basis for rating a variety--single night vs. multiple nights. Also, hardiness really depends on when the cold exposure comes. If the plant has a chance to be conditioned to colder temperatures in a gradual slide, it will be better able to survive than a sudden drop to a cold temperature. There is more scientific convention about the hardiness of agricultural crops, but it is still pretty loose. Mostly I think ornamental plant breeders just grab the hardiness zones on record for the species of a plant and who knows how precise those really were when they were recorded. That's one of the reasons I peruse and often buy from very reputable mail order nurseries like Plant Delights, who do a lot of their own testing of new varieties and tell you what they've found and if it differs from the label given by the breeder. I know this isn�t new information for many gardeners, but I thought I�d confirm what most of us believed.
    ...See More

Am I out of luck?

Q

Comments (10)
    "vanilla scented aclepsia"? Do you mean butterfly weed? I searched on "vanilla scented" and came up with A. incarnata. I have a handful of these and they are already up about a foot. I also have A. tuberosa and that is barely poking its head out of the soil. Depending on which one you have you should know w/in a couple weeks if it's really dead. I'm a warm Z5 and they can be a little finicky but once established seem to come back year after year. I do find the incarnata survive winters much better than tuberosa though.
    ...See More

Cabinet Stain too dark...are we out of luck?

Q

Comments (39)
    Lindy--can you hear my sighs and oohs and ahhs? Gorgeous--everything! What a great job you have done. Be proud! Love it, love it! Don't change stain at all! This is off the thread, but I noticed on another thread your progress pics and that you used board and batten. (Gorgeous everything again--love your style!) If you don't mind me asking, did you use, (for a lack of technical terms), real wood or manufactured siding type? What type of maintenance will you have with your choice? And, did you carry it all around the sides and back? DH not too handy :(, so I'm worried about a lot of maintenance. If we have to start cutting things on our plan due to budget issues, I don't want to lose my stone on the front, (call it my!), but I would rather lose the brick. We were thinking cedar shakes and/or board & batten. Just was hoping to "pick your brain" and see what helped you make your decision. Thanks in advance. If you want, you can email me. Thanks too for sharing your photos and experiences.
    ...See More

Subway Tile - Am I out of luck?

Q

Comments (25)
    I think you are overly concerned about nothing big. (I'm the one who also has a 100 year old house with subway tile all the way up to the uneven ceiling). Rather than starting at the top and focusing on how to even out the ceiling tiles, we started with a full row of tiles at the counter level because, after all, this is what the casual observer will most likely look at. The one other thing to try to figure out (easier said than done) is if the amount of space you have available once you really get to the ceiling will result in nearly full size tiles (this is our situation) that vary in size or very small slivers. IMO a row of teeny slivers that then transitions to no tiles would be most obvious.
    ...See More
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hoovb, that's a major bummer! Something tells me this rose prefers a cooler climate. I'm seriously bummed now. I thought I had happened upon a treasure. You have to wonder why they would even have this rose for sale here.

Ingrid

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I just visited a rose garden that had a pair of incredible Bonicas at the front of a rose walk. I would guess they were 3-3.5 feet tall.

I have some cuttings that I hope took from one down the street that blooms in the mostly shady parking strip. Guess I will find out of those took (they were in the cuttings trash bin when I picked them out as the homeowner was pruning)

• User
    10 years ago

Well, it was a good repeat-blooming rose in western Massachusetts when I grew it there. Would come roaring back to 4' from those little stubs left after winter like nobody's business.

Googling around, though, I do see it's on some recommended rose lists for Red Bluff (I don't think there's anywhere that gets hotter and drier in NoCal than Red Bluff) and by a nursery in a town toward the foothills out of Stockton (not exactly cool and breezy there in the summer, either).

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

It was definitely the Knock Out of its day, or at least promoted as such. Wasn't there an "improved" Bonica a couple of years later? Anyhoo, I recall Martin & Rix describing it as the most floriferous rose of any they photographed--but they have an English slant. Maybe it is superior in cooler climates.

I had it in muggy coastal zn 9 & it never really did for me, but many grafted roses didn't. Maybe it will be a great rose for you.

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

My neighbor has a Bonica, looks awful here, no matter what season. I'm so happy the rose park got rid of Bonica and replaced with Gene Boerner (almost thornless, lasts very long as cut flower, smells good in cool temp, and bloomed at 100 degrees heat).

I bought a Bonica for $2 at HomeDepot, since it was grafted it blackspotted immediately in my bed with leaves on top. I dug up and there were tons of slugs in the root ball. My soil never have slugs before, so I had to killed them all, for fear of spreading in my garden.

Below is Gene Boerner, a much better choice:

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, my enthusiasm has waned considerably, but thank you all for your comments; I'm not sure at this point whether I'm even going to plant it. When am I going to learn not to buy roses on impulse? I was rather proud of myself, though, for not buying Yves Piaget, a rose I love, because I now know how badly it fries in my garden. I also passed on Blue Girl, a rose I know nothing about, although I really liked the color. Too bad I couldn't resist Bonica's pretty face.

Ingrid

• harborrose_pnw
    10 years ago

Ingrid,
    I noticed that 'Bonica' is being sold by Baker Nursery in Phoenix, Arizona. Maybe with an extra dose of water and some shade it would be better than you think. Are you planning to take it back to your nursery? If not, you won't lose by trying. Gean

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Ingrid, this one is in Old Orchard, Valencia in the Santa Clarita Valley. It's been in place for easily ten years, perhaps a few more. It is SPOTLESS with no spray. It is fed several times a year with Gro Power Plus and gets watered by sprinklers. The exposure is eastern full sun, with some sun over the house then late afternoon shade. There are always flowers on it, with a main "explosion" (rather than flush), every four to six weeks. Here, it's a great shrub rose. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonica in Old Orchard, Valencia, CA

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I have had experience with Bonica and its sport Royal Bonica, and both do beautifully in our hot, dry summers (we get 10-12 inches of precipitation a year). Here Bonica grows to about 4 1/2 feet tall and blooms constantly. I know you didn't ask about Royal Bonica, but I think it's even better than Bonica in the heat. I had six of these roses in my old home, and I missed them so much, I got a bare root a couple of months ago which is doing beautifully. Royal Bonica is 5-6 feet tall and has a little darker blooms than Bonica. As far as Bonica goes, don't despair. I think you will be pleased. Keep us informed, too. Diane

• User
    10 years ago

Would you really not even plant a rose you have actually bought, on the strength of other people's recommendations? Don't you think it is possible to take word-of-mouth suggestions a bit far?
    Unless you decide to return the plant to the nursery, what have you got to lose from digging a hole and planting? Time, effort - I know, but to counter that, you have gained knowledge, experience and obviously, there was something about the rose you already liked the look of...........
    Ingrid, I too, value this forum and the suggestions and advice I get therein.....but ultimately, it is MY garden, in MY area with all MY quirky and idiosyncratic ideas and (low) standards.

Ironically, here I am, also doing a persuading job on you like everyone else.....but do at least, use your own judgement based on how it (Bonica) does for you which will be based on your reality and not just hearsay.

• sherryocala
    10 years ago

Here's some humid hearsay. I recently got a little Bonica plant. I had been wanting one for a long time and found this one at our Festival rose sale last November. Since it was one that someone had rooted, I assumed that it must be an okay rose here. It has been slow gaining size but it's blooming now. My friend with 1000 roses says it's a great rose here. So we're good to go in our parallel gardens, Ingrid.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    10 years ago

I was just thinking of getting a new Bonica for a certain spot where her height and color is what I need :) I used to love her. We get hot! I had her at my old place.

I use all my rose budget since then on roses with big, old-fashioned blooms and roses that are hard to get, but I'm not kidding that I was just deciding to place an order for her again. No scent. Prettier in person than pics :) But give her a little shade or she opens too fast. Oh, she sets lovely hips, so maybe deadheading is extra important for her until fall.

Grafted roses from nurseries can be a bit of a mixed bag. That's probably a big reason why it's possible to find a bum version, imho. I just found a big hole in the rootstock of my Brilliant Pink Iceberg, lol. A cane wasn't happy, and it's no wonder with a fairy cave down below!

Use her for the hips, anyway, if you can. The fall garden is so nice with big fat hips on some roses :)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Would come roaring back to 4' from those little stubs left after winter like nobody's business.

Could be it needs a good whack after bloom to stimulate rebloom. Mine gracefully draped over a wall and so I didn't prune it much and didn't mind so terribly about no repeat. After about 5 years of pristine foliage, however, it started rusting horribly (as bad as Abe Darby), so that is when it got the shovel.

Certainly as Campanula points out, YMMV, but I think it is fair to honestly and accurately as possible describe one's own experience with a particular cultivar, and leave the reader to balance and judge ALL the comments and decide for her-/his-self.

• harborrose_pnw
    10 years ago

hoovb said: Could be it needs a good whack after bloom to stimulate rebloom.

Well, goodness, Gail, maybe you need to try it again and prune it this time to see if it does better for you.

Gean

• User
    10 years ago

Mmmmm, think you put your finger on it, Hoovb and Catspa. Bonica is a classic municipal shrub in Cambridge - whole streets have it planted along the pavement verge next to the road - the local council give it a brutal hedgetrimmer treatment which it just seems to love.

Yeah, 'hearsay' sounds a bit.....flippant? But you know what I mean, right? It's as well we all are (persuasive and keen) cos none of us would have anything much to talk(type) about.

• peachiekean
    10 years ago

I hope you like Bonica. I recall my SIL had acquired a rose in her veggie plot tagged Bonica (sadly, she was not much about roses and it was planted in a bad place right up against a fence). I recall taking a picture of it before it croaked. Beautiful flower!

Original Author
    10 years ago

After I wrote the above remark about possibly not planting it I changed my mind, especially since my husband the hole digger encouraged me to plant it. You're right Suzy, what kind of a wishy-washy attitude was that on my part? I was originally going to plant it in a sunny spot but now, thanks to advice above, I'm choosing a spot that will get morning to midday sun and afternoon shade. I'm going to give it the best possible chance to prosper. Kim, that picture is gorgeous! If mine looks half as good and repeats I'll be a happy camper. I'll remember come pruning time to give it a military haircut .

Sherry, we'll have to compare notes. I hope it will be a champ for both of us!

Thank you so much, all of you, for the many replies; you're the greatest!

Ingrid

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Thanks Ingrid. That photo is from last year. It was even larger and fuller this year. I just trimmed about a foot and a half from it last week to dead head it, all over the bush. I'll bet yours will look even better because you fuss over yours more than this one enjoys. It's lucky to get tended to two or three times a month. I just let it do its thing and it's always "pink". Kim

• User
    10 years ago

I was just going to say, Kim, that I used to dead head the ones I had in Massachusetts emphatically after every flush -- a foot or foot and a half sounds about right -- because the fool things bloomed so heavily that they would fall over sideways if kept too tall. So, I, too, think it's probably good to prune this one and not be squeamish about it.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Kim and catspa, for the additional and valuable information about deadheading. I wouldn't have thought to take off that much but now I know what to do.

Ingrid

• roseseek
    10 years ago

You're welcome Ingrid. You'll find Bonica frequently produces foot long stems with huge clusters at their ends. You can either keep some of those stems to increase the size of the plant, or eliminate most of their length to maintain it at about the same size. This one was permitted to increase in size until it is about what is optimum for its position. Dead heading the majority of the length of the flowering shoots keeps it in bounds and permits it to push new flowering shoots fairly quickly. You'll like the rose. Not really any fragrance, but it's bullet proof, long lived, healthy with beautiful dark green foliage and simply flowers as it should with very little attention required. What's not to like? Kim

• roserobin_gw
    10 years ago

Here Bonica is a bullet-proof always blooming disease free rose, and generally is highly recommended as a landscape shrub, around 4'. Dead heading keeps it blooming for a really long season. We don't get your heat though. Give it a try.

• zeffyrose
    10 years ago

Ingrid--I agree with your DH----never can tell how a rose will do in your location it is worth a try-----please keep us posted ----hope it blooms like Kim's-----that is a gorgeous picture--

Florence

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Kim, roserobin and dear Florence. As of yesterday Bonica is in the ground, along with the Carefree Wonder gifted to me by a rose friend. I have her in what I hope is a good spot. I pruned off all the rather tired blooms quite closely so that the bush now has something of a ball shape. I'll be very interested to see how well it does and will post a picture if and when it has some new blooms. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the wonderful advice I've received here.

Ingrid

• michaelg
    10 years ago

bluegirl asked about Royal Bonica. Growing side by side with Bonica in a no-spray garden here, Royal B. got a lot more blackspot and was removed for that reason. Bonica gets some blackspot here, but usually doesn't defoliate completely.

Ingrid, Bonica will bloom in shade with just a few hours of sun. That should help in your situation. Although I don't grow it, I think it is a fine shrub rose. The big clusters are beautiful against the dark, dark foliage. The plant is naturally dense and shapely, and it repeats very well in our climate.

• Marlorena
    10 years ago

...Where I am in England, this rose 'Bonica' is for me the best rose I've ever grown, and I've gone through many Austins, old fashioned and new.... the foliage and growth habit are both outstanding, and it will climb to 10 foot on trellis...eventually... no scent, but not a concern for me, and I think it's the very best rose for a small garden here... I couldn't imagine having a garden without it now...
    it gets covered in greenfly early on in June but outgrows it and simply takes no notice... absolutely no black spot... and very hardy at least down to -15 deg c. with no dieback...

I do hope it grows as well for you...

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, my enthusiasm has waned considerably, but thank you all for your comments; I'm not sure at this point whether I'm even going to plant it. When am I going to learn not to buy roses on impulse? I was rather proud of myself, though, for not buying Yves Piaget, a rose I love, because I now know how badly it fries in my garden. I also passed on Blue Girl, a rose I know nothing about, although I really liked the color. Too bad I couldn't resist Bonica's pretty face.

Ingrid

Original Author
    10 years ago

I have no idea how one of my earlier comments reposted itself down here, truly weird!

Michael, I think I planted Bonica in the best possible spot, good early morning sun but lots of shade when it's hot. I can't wait to see how it does.

Marlorena, what a beautiful shot! I don't know whether my plant will be that deep a pink, especially during the warmer part of the year, but I don't mind that. Yours is so beautiful, and that little vignette make me want to see more of your garden. I sense a lot of companion plants, a look I really love and try to emulate, in a "dry" sort of way!

Ingrid

• sefah
    10 years ago

Hi, Ingrid. I am a second year rose grower. Last summer I acquired Bonica late for our growing season here in Zone 4, but it's quickly becoming one of my most favorite. The clumps of perfectly-shaped flowers always appeared shortly after deadheading. In the fall, I moved it to a different spot (yes, I knew it was foolish, but was too impatient) and neglected it when things got busy. I did not even mulch. After an unusually long winter, it is now back to life covered with attractive shiny leaves. I am glad to hear that you are giving yours a chance! I promised mine that I will take care of it better. :-)

Phoebe

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Phoebe, it's good to hear your experience. Since I just dead-headed mine I'll be curious to see how long it will take for the new growth to show itself. I'm impressed with how tough your plant seems to be. I have to say I fell in love with its delightful pink bunches of flowers as soon as I set eyes on them, and can't wait to see them again.

Ingrid

• roseseek
    10 years ago

If I HAD to find fault with Bonica, there would be two. First, how awfully sharp its plentiful prickles are. Second, its lack of scent.

One Mother's Day, a number of years ago, we made a spectacular display of perfect five gallon Icebergs, Bonicas and China Dolls all in full bud and bloom, interspersed with pale yellow yarrow and various lavender and blue perennials at work. Those three roses simply make "story book" pictures, they just work so danged well. Kim

• Marlorena
    10 years ago

..thank you Ingrid, I'm glad you liked the photo... I have just looked at your profile and note that you have many varied roses that you are growing, which surprised me for Southern California, I don't associate it with roses, I don't know why - too dry perhaps? but if they are all happy then surely Bonica will do just fine as well... I really hope so...

It sounds really nice where you are - up in the hills - I hope you don't get bush fires... I expect it's a lovely climate...?

here's a photo of part of what I call my 'dried up river bed' area, [note the 'boat' filled with succulents], you can see 'Bonica' in full bloom on the right next to fence... I like a lush planting scheme with lots going on... I cram a lot in...
    the tall grass in the middle is a Miscanthus which flowers a bit later... the blue in the distance is Geranium 'Rozanne'...
    the daylily is 'Crimson Pirate' and the pink Geranium is 'Mavis Simpson'... I like foliage as well as flowers... I also have Gaura 'Cherry Brandy' in there and grey leafed Stachys 'Silver Carpet' and Geranium 'Cambridge' planted all over the place... I hope you like it, a little... thank you... I would love to see more of your garden too....

• lbuzzell
    10 years ago

We've grown 'Bonica' for over 10 years and it's a once bloomer for us, followed by a nice show of hips. One year I thought I'd try deadheading to get a second bloom, but that didn't work - I just didn't get the hips. I probably should pull it out, but really enjoy both the spring and fall show. Ah well...

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Malorena, your garden is lovely.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Malorena, I wrote a reply after seeing the picture of your beautiful garden, probably on the same day that you posted it, and I'm dumbfounded that my reply is not visible, at least not to me. I remarked that your design and plantings combined your artistic eye and your green thumb since everything is so beautifully done. I also mentioned that if you wanted to see some pictures of my garden I had posted a thread in the regular rose forum gallery, although by now it must be on page 2 or 3. I'm so sorry that this happened, and you must have thought it very odd (not to say rude), that I did not reply after you posted your wonderful picture of Bonica and all the other gorgeous plants. I'm very annoyed that this happened and wouldn't even have known if someone else had not brought the thread up today. I hope that you can see this post.

Ingrid

• FADI (Zone 5b)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I know it is an old thread. Sorry for any inconvenience

I just wanted to share my experience with Bonica in Canada (Zone 5)

I am extremely happy with this rose. It blooms non-stop !

and the most important thing to me it blooms in FULL SHADE !! i planted it in an area which receives only 2-3 hours of afternoon sun and still blooms profusely !!

we had several days with raining and no sun last summer , and to my surprise it is blooming non-stop !! what a gorgeous rose !!

Bonica was born to bloom !!

Today is November 17th I collected more than 10 flowers for dinner table ! and still Bonica has many buds !!!

highly recommended for shady areas

• User
    7 years ago

FADI, I'm delighted you like your 'Bonica'. I said on this thread earlier that it was the best rose I've ever had and I still think so even though I had to remove it - it got too big for its position and buffeted by the wind. When I come back to my senses I hope to get it again, and it's good to know it grows in shade like that... the blooms also make excellent cut flowers for arrangements.. even simple ones like this..

...do enjoy your rose and show some photos if you can..

• kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

Everyone who grows Bonica in a cooler climate loves it. I had Hoovb's experience of Bonica not reblooming in warmer temps. If you can grow it, hooray! Bonica's a beauty.

• portlandmysteryrose
    7 years ago

FADI,

Bonica is indeed a very good rose...for a climate that doesn't host Western Oregon's blackspot fungus. I used to grow her, and she was a marvelous crazy bloomer! However, I avoid chemicals, and in my no spray garden she continuously defoliated, a buck-naked shrub topped by bouquets of sweet pink blossoms. In a drier climate, I would absolutely give her a patch of real estate.

Here in the PNW, I'd go for everblooming, disease resistant Marie Daley. Hermosa is good choice, too. Hermosa blackspots a bit but recovers. I love her little Bourbon-type blooms, and she's very generous with them. She's still producing blooms in November.

It's wonderful to know Bonica can handle so much shade in your area. Marie Daley and Hermosa can handle partial shade here, but not full shade.

Carol

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Oh my, that is so lovely, Kim, and the hardscape is perfect. seeing your pics, and others on this thread, really makes me want to grow Bonica again in my garden. I like Royal Bonica, but not as well as Bonica. Diane

• roseseek
    7 years ago

Thank you, Diane. I enjoyed Bonica and considered using it for breeding because of its health and appearance. It was the gall issue that sealed its fate.

• julieotoole
    7 years ago

Here 1600 ft above Portland I have about 8 Bonica bushes and they flower their little heads off as long as they are deadheaded. I do not spray and have heavy clay soil. They have never defoliated or really had blackspot. We do have a lot of wind up here.

• portlandmysteryrose
    7 years ago

Julie, how interesting! It is good to know that Bonica is flourishing for you. I believe you live near Bald Peak? That's not far at all from Portland. Thank you for illustrating how rose success can vary even across short distances when climates also vary.

I wonder what magic ingredients over there in your neighborhood prevent Bonica's blackspot. You mentioned wind, and maybe air circulation is indeed the key? We surely must experience similar rainforest conditions, suffer the same strains of blackspot fungus and slog through the same kind of heavy clay soil.

I haven't grown Bonica for over 10 years and have noticed that changing weather patterns/climate changes have produced more diseases or different types of diseases on some roses and less on others. I wonder if Bonica would fare better in my current garden. Food for thought! Carol

• Lisa Adams
    7 years ago

Ingrid, how did your Bonica end up? Lisa

• julieotoole
    7 years ago

Either the wind or new genetic strains?