SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
61tinkerbell

PART 2 ...Mistakes, Mistakes, Mistakes.... oh my

tinker_2006
15 years ago

As I said before, our build WAS going so smooth, and now as we approach the finish line - I am STRESSED!

We did have the builder rip out the fireplace, and had it lower, specifying once again - we wanted it just like the model home. The foreman ripped it out, and didn't even speak to us on that day when we went to the job site - he was fuming!

He re-framed the opening and lowered the firebox. When we went the next day, it visually was way different, and he said it is now the exact height of the model, and asked if we also wanted to lower the mantel. It was 64" I looked up the average and the average seemed to be 58"... model home was 59". We told him yes, make it 59-60".

fast forward....

the fireplace was bricked today and It STILL is 2" higher than the models, and the Mantel is 61"!!! I am a bit ticked, as I really would have thought that this foreman would have measured and double checked it. I am NOT going to force the issue, as it does look a lot better to us, and I hope that it looks 'okay' and more normal to everyone else.

Sigh... what do you think - here is the before and after photo's.

BEFORE

{{gwi:1447618}}

AFTER

{{gwi:1448081}}

Now... for the granite island top, which I thought there would be no questions about fixing because they made the wrong edge.. we are in a battle. The GC says he is in the middle, and we need to attempt to work it out with the fabricator. We paid and upgrade to have a fancy edge (bullnose with a ogee on top) but they want to charge US another $600 to just remove the laminated (straight edge (they did a straight with an ogee on top). I am so angry!! They don't have another slab, and there is a chance it will break as they try to remove it (and in the end - it will only be an ogee edge - no refund on the product I didn't get). The salesman is LYING to his boss, and admitted he didn't remember OR write it down! They seem unwilling to budge.. our builder will not pay, as he was not involved in any communication, and I am unwilling to pay..

DH thinks the top looks okay. I think it looks thick and bulky. Here is a picture of it, which they delivered to the house assuming we would accept. We are suppose to close on Friday.. this is stressing me!!

{{gwi:1448082}}

{{gwi:1448083}}

{{gwi:1448085}}

This is HOW the edge was suppose to look:

finally - the ceiling... I am feeling like it too is a lost cause.

They really think I am the one who "keeps changing her mind" and that "there has been so many changes"... I am entitled to change my mind, and I have ALWAYS sent an email regarding any changes.

I always feel better once coming here and posting! TIA

Comments (38)

• persnicketydesign
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The fireplace looks great! I'm so proud of you for sticking to your guns and getting them to do it over. The mantel height looks just right to me. :o)

I can tell from your post that you're really disappointed with the granite. The nerve of them to tell you it will cost you $600 to fix their mistake! Keep on them to see if they'll budge on getting that edge right. If all else fails tell them you'd be happy to keep the island top the way that it is if they'll refund the cost difference between the two edges and pay you $600 for the inconvenience of having to live with their mistake every day! LOL I love an ogee edge too, but to be honest the edge that's on there looks pretty darn good...and it's easier to keep clean.

What is the reason they're giving for not fixing the ceiling?

• mizjiff
    15 years ago

Hi Tinker,
    The fireplace and the granite both look fine to me! This is kinda like a wedding - only YOU know how it was supposed to be. Hang in there!! I feel for you.

• Related Discussions

Uh-oh . . . . . Did I make a fatal mistake?

Q

Comments (8)
    I've looked at the book. I think he's in somewhere like Manitoba, and he's playing games. He's planting very, very deep and covering with a very, very loose soil mixture. I plant 2 inches down, and have never had a problem with either being too deep or not deep enough. For a long time, at least 150 years, and possibly much longer, it's been understood that a viable way of zone pushing is to keep things dry. A lot of what he's talking about, I interpret as water management in a fairly dry climate. There hasn't been a lot of feedback about his methods, however it didn't strike me as something where you can take a piece and ignore the rest.
    ...See More

Pruning mistake(s)?

Q

Comments (2)
    Roses that bloom only in June do not bloom on first-year canes: the canes need to go through a winter before blooming. You may have some non-recurrent roses, or the non-blooming shoots may come from the rootstock variety, which would be non-recurrent. In the latter case, though, I'd expect you'd have some old rootstock canes that would be blooming now with a different flower than the hybrid tea (or whatever). I wonder if you have hybrid teas, though. I'd expect their canes to be injured to the ground by a Toronto winter. To try to identify we would need clear pics of the flower, leaf, and stem with thorns.
    ...See More

Mistakes, Mistakes, Mistakes.... oh my

Q

Comments (21)
    Yes, granite is going to be changed, as I won't accept anything else - it's NOT at all what I ordered and it's still at the fabricator's yard - they can fix it. The island and the fireplace are very important because they are focal points. I know that somepeople would have cared less and never even notice, but I did. As far as the fireplace, I have recalled more conversational details. initially, I wanted a pre-made mantel, brought the spec's to the house, and the foreman told us it wouldn't work, unless we built a raised hearth (that I didn't want). I TOLD him at that point "it looked high" and questioned him if it was the same as the model - he ASSURED me it was. I then scraped the mantel - which now, I understand WHY it wouldn't work! He should have worked on making that mantel work - because if he did, we would have had to lower that firebox MONTHS ago! Yesterday I had to go to the house and drop off an item. He (the foreman) was there ripping out the bricks. He turned his back on us and never acknowledged us there! He is making me annoyed - and I KNOW for a fact that he (once again - as we caught him) is lying. I am sure he is blaming us 100% - but at this point, I don't care! I am paying enough for this house and this is important! The stairs - the treads are 10" deep, and the risers I didn't measure, but they aren't high, and step very much like a normal step. These stairs are in the back of our home, and I am not going to make this another area of conflict as it's not that important. Only we (our family) will really see these stairs and we already planned to add the wood treads ourselves at some point. Anyway, I am VERY happy about the fireplace - as looking at the photo's above - it does look strange!
    ...See More

Oh my.,,, just made a big mistake

Q

Comments (9)
    For months after I had quit as girl of all work at my hometown newspaper I answered the phone at home with, "Herald". My current 'name' problem is learning to respond to my legal first name, when I've never been called by it -- only my middle name, Sue. Social Security, Medicare, doctors, hospitals, even the airlines -- all 'know' me as my legal first and last names. I've written my medical information on the back of my driver's license, along with, "I'm called Sue."
    ...See More
  • krislrob
    15 years ago

That's a completely different edge. Granite edges are a very personal thing and the edge you picked is definitely a more expensive edge. I'm sure the first one would look fine, but I too prefer the second one and that's what you paid for. Do you have other places to get more granite? I'd stay on it. The fireplace looks better.

• paint_chips
    15 years ago

Your fireplace looks great.

You said there was a possibility of breakage. How will an extra $600 make the edge easier to remove?

• mrsmuggleton
    15 years ago

I think the fireplace now looks right. I actually prefer the edge you have, rather than the one you chose.

• cefoster
    15 years ago

The fireplace looks good...perhaps there are a couple of inches due to codes that it had to be up an extra inch. I would leave it alone - the foreman sounds unpleasant as it is.
    Now about the granite...I understand that it is a personal preference about the edges but my personal taste much prefers the one you have. It looks so substantial and makes the granite look amazing! In fact, (I hope you do not mind), but I would like to save a picture of that to show our builder for our new home. We had the edge that you actually wanted in our older home, and not that I a slob but those grooves can get pretty dirty - especailly if you have little ones that will always put their peanut butter and jelly hands all over it. The edge you have is much easier to maintain. I would definitely push for a refund - hopefully you have saved all emails or written papers that state the kind of edge you originally asked for. Good luck!!

• dixiedoodle
    15 years ago

I'd make them fix the granite. If they break it, then order another piece and re-do it. The current edge looks
    "cheap" compared to the one you ordered. The fireplace looks better.

• lkplatow
    15 years ago

I also prefer the edge you have. It's just my opinion, but I think it looks cleaner and shows off the stone better. The edge you chose looks busy to me, at least in the picture above.

If you decide to keep that edge, I would definitely insist on a refund though, especially since I'm sure you paid more for the more complex edge.

Good luck!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am glad the fireplace looks better, as I feel I am not very objective at this point. There hasn't been any code changes on the fireplace, it is a 0 clearance and we could have had it sitting on the floor, the thing that annoys me is that the foreman has lied about this and other issues too many times. Once again, after ripping it out - he "assured" us it is the exact height of model. How can he make such a mistake! There are other lies he told us, that any normal person would have just accepted, however, my DH knows construction inside and out he could have easily built this house if we desired. We don't like being lied too - mistakes happen, just tell the truth and figure out a way to fix them!

It seems the majority of members here (and on the kitchen forum) seem to like the mistake granite top the best. Again, I feel at times I am not very objective, as I get something in my head and it's hard to budge from it. So, now I need to determine *if* I should keep the island top. I am thinking I will let them install it, with the option of 3-6 months to change my mind if I find I just hate it. (in writing of course!)

• chisue
    15 years ago

I haven't been following your posts, but I think the firebox height looks fine now. I'm not wild about the informal brick with the formal trim mouldings and cabinets, but it's not *my* house, is it? LOL

I like the less elaborate granite edge for a kitchen countertop -- would prefer the more elaborate one in, say, a powder room. I'd rather be closer to the work surface in the kitchen than reaching over more edge. However, if you paid extra you should get a refund.

It might have been a better idea to tell a workman to 'set the firebox HERE and put the mantel HERE', drawing on the wall if necessary. It's less exact to say you want something 'like the model' or at 'around' a certain height. He's not at the model; he's at your location.

• teddas
    15 years ago

Actually I like the granite edge. It looks thick and beefy and luxurious! I think though that you have to be satisfied and do it even if it means paying for it becuase you can not change it once installed. If not can you live with looking at it and thinking" I wish I had changed the edge" every day??

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We went and placed the top on the island, in hopes that I will see it differently and change my mind. DH really likes it, I just think it looks too chucky and thick! Not soft like the rest of the kitchen. Here are updated pictures (ecuse the construction mess - island not complete and will be a cream color)

{{gwi:1448087}}

{{gwi:1448088}}

{{gwi:1448090}}

{{gwi:1448092}}

• dekeoboe
    15 years ago

I'm confused about the fireplace issue. Did you want one less row of bricks? Or for them to cut one row in half? Because I thought bricks are more than 2" tall, so I am not sure I understand about it being 2" too tall.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

dekeoboe, the fireplace firebox was placed 9" higher then what we intended. They tore it out and replaced it - but only went down 7" instead of the 9".

chisue, you know... looking back at really old treads, I had no intentions of this brick fireplace. I had a beautiful mantel picked out - BUT I was told it wouldn't fit.. not really realizing that it was because the firebox was too high. It's a small development, and the builder's model home is a short walk away.. not too hard for them to measure and measure right. However, I certainly know that nobody but DH and I will ever notice that the firebox is really - some too high.

• dixiedoodle
    15 years ago

I'm sorry, but I really dislike that edging on the island. Maybe if the island itself was more substantial, but since it is relatively small the countertop completely overpowers it. I'm still in the camp of having it changed to the other...or even having it match the rest of your counters which seem proportional.

• GammyT
    15 years ago

In your original photo I liked the edge better. In your newest photos, that edge on the island is too chunky. You have a much smaller and different edge on the other counters. AND that is a very chunky top for such a small island.

• lincolnduncan
    15 years ago

Wow. I have to say, initially I thought you were being nit picky about the granite but you're absolutely right - it looks pretty bad (especially compared to the other counters which look great!). Good luck.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I'm sorry, let me clarify, I love the edging on the cabinet granite, not the island granite. That is absolutely too chunky to match the other.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all so much for your replies. I really, really wanted to like it and just settle it and be done, but I still really don't care for it and have decided that they either must remove the laminate edge - or make a new top, with no laminate. DH disagrees... but I win on this.

• chisue
    15 years ago

Seen in place, with the other kitchen countertops, the island top *is* too chunky. You'll hate it every day.

I love your ceiling fixture and the cabinets!

You could hire a carpenter to build you a mantel and surround for the fireplace at some later date. You could just lay a piece of granite over the bricks on the floor or tile over them, adding a bit of edging on the outside edges if there's a height difference.

I was trying not to be male-bashing about giving instructions to a worker -- making it absolutely clear to the point of writing on the wall. Many workers don't have time, inclination or permission to run elsewhere to check something. They want the work laid out for them, plain and simple. It sure feels a lot like it's a 'guy thing'.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

chisue, I hear you.. and that's the thing, we have been sooooo precise with some many things, I know that they are getting tired of me! I really think that after they ripped apart the whole fireplace wall, removed every brick, cut the drywall and re-framed the fireplace because we complained.. the least they could do was to get it right! Giving them precise instructions seems like we are just rolling dice. They also had to rip out part of the laundry room wall, because they were off from our instructed measurements. I was doing so good.. now I find I am so stressed in the final inning our this new home.

I am a little 9a lot) confused about the island top. Personally - I think it is about an inch too thick. The majority here and on the kitchen forum LOVES it, thinks it's an awesome mistake. I just don't know!

• marthaelena
    15 years ago

Tinker,
    The way I see it, the island countertop is slightly chunchy and the rest of the countertops are too skinny.

The island (countertops and cabinets) do not necesarily have to be exactly the same in color, type or design but definetly they have to go together.
    I think your kitchen will look fantastic once you have everything installed, cleaned and decorated. To me, the focal point in your kitchen is the great cabinets at the back with the nice glass doors and not the island due to the size. I love the light fixture over the island.
    You have a beautiful kitchen!

• phoggie
    15 years ago

I certainly agree...your fireplace looks a lot better.
    Did you pay for the other edge to be put on the ganite? If so, I would make them do it but if it is going to cost you more $$$, then I'd settle for it, but as someone else stated, I think the "hefty" one would look better on a larger island. But as a wife of an architect and contractor, every change you make from the original plans will cost you for extras...and they usually are "padded" for their time.
    PLEASE POST PICTURE WHEN YOU ARE DONE also photos of the rest of your home...it is going to beautiful!!!

• bdpeck-charlotte
    15 years ago

tinker, I don't like the island top. I like what you initially chose and think it works better for your house.

If they still don't want to do the granite right, just tell them you're not going to close. Call the attorney handling the closing and tell them that the countertop is not what you ordered and the closing is delayed it's fixed.

• jilliferd
    15 years ago

tinker,

Re: the fireplace. What kind of flooring will you have in this area? The difference in measurement between the model and your home may be the allowance for flooring.

For your granite, what color is your island going to be? If it will be the same dark brown, I don't think you will notice it as much, if it will be white, then it is more noticeable. But no matter what, YOU will probably always notice it, so better to change it now.

Jill

• cork2win
    15 years ago

While I dislike the granite on the island, I too am in your shoes regarding stage of project and at this point, my suggestion to you is to tell them you'll live with it for a few months, but you have the right to change your mind and they have to fix it. Knowing the position you're in, the decisions have been overwhelming and you're being nitpicky about every little thing (not that you shouldn't be, I am too, but there comes a time where it's obsessive and unnecessary). You need to straighten out their idea of CHARGING you to fix THEIR mistake though. You either keep it and get a credit for the edge you didn't get, or they fix their mistake for free.

Hang in there.

• bellamay
    15 years ago

One thing to notice in this situation is the e-mail communication (not legally considered "in writing"), and direct communication between the owner and the subcontractor outside of the control of the GC. If the GC had been involved with the stone fabricator it is likely that this wouldn't have happened. I am not sure why you were communicating directly with the countertop people but the communication mistake is a big one for both of you. They more than likely won't give you a new countertop gratis.....and my advice would be to try to work something out in the middle with them. I am not sure who designed the kitchen but the difference in granite depth is a big mistake. It isn't the edge that is off, it it the granite piece itself. Putting a different edge won't resolve that issue. Unasked for advice.....choose a contrasting stone for the island when you replace the top. It will be a much better look than what you have.

Take care!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks cork2win, that is what I feel is the best solution, as truthfully - maybe once it is finished I will like it.

What I find interesting, is that 'most' replies here in the building forum, people don't care for it, and think it looks chunky too. While I posted this as well in both the decoration and kitchen forums, and have had over 60-70 replies total, the major majority LOVE (LOVE, LOVE) it! That only makes it much more confusing!

bellamay, I really have to blame the saleman totally on this. He provided them a contract that they believe I approved. I had 2-3 conversations with salesman regarding this top, and never doubted he was not on the same page. Then he lies... that is my biggest issue with him right now!

• dixiedoodle
    15 years ago

bellamay-your experience may have led you to make a statement such as "If the GC had been involved with the stone fabricator it is likely that this wouldn't have happened." However, my experience is that if GC's deal directly with the subs it is more likely that mistakes happen. No GC managing multiple projects is going to be as capable as I am of ordering the right materials, design, or products for my project. Just my two cents. And, yes, if I had to do it again, I would have self-GC'd.

• sturdy
    15 years ago

I am in agreement with the previous posters that it looks too chunky for the small island. BTW, I LOVE your cabinets! What brand/model are they?

• phoggie
    15 years ago

I am so sorry things are not going so well. I showed the picture of your fireplace to my husband (who is an architect and contractor) and his words were, "Out of scale and needs a hearth"....I don't always agree with him, but in this case I agree. I have one which is about 8-9 inches high and I love it...so nice to sit in front of on a very cold Kansas night. You might want to talk to your GC about doing that...I really think you might be happier. And please post pics of your entire house when you get done...I know it will be a beauty~~

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

phoggie, does he think the NEW fireplace is out of scale?

sturdy, thank you - the cabinets are custom made by a cabinet shop.

• phoggie
    15 years ago

tinker.....yes, he felt the lowered fireplace still needs a hearth to help it be more in scale......but it is YOUR house and not ours. If you are happy with it, that is all that matters.

• kats
    15 years ago

Good job on the fireplace it looks GREAT moved down.... and no one but you will ever know it's not perfect. It fits the wall much better. Gorgeous actually. But more important is that it was IMPORTANT enough to both of you to have it lowered. That's all that matters.

As far as the granite....Both edges, the one you wanted and the one they're forcing on you, look to me too substantial for the edging you have on the rest of your granite (again it's a personal thing). One suggestion... have you asked them about other edging styles? One that might satisfy you but less chance of breaking the piece if changed? Several people here have talked about detailed granite edges. I had one in my other home and agree it's a pain to keep clean (toothbrushes helped). But you mentioned the reason they don't want to give you the right one is it probably will destroy the piece. And like you said they have no more pieces in stock. If they cut and break it then have to get another piece it could take several weeks (or months) for the piece to be shipped and fitted. And even then it might not exactly match the pieces already installed. Are you willing to wait for that to move into your home? Or is it such a personal thing that it will truly drive you crazy for years to come if you leave it like it is now? If that is the case rather than the granite place just not getting it right then you owe it to yourself to not give in on this one either. Or give up on the $600.

While we were building 3 other couples divorced over their builds. In each instance it was in the final phase of the build when things were getting ripped out over and over to meet one idea of perfection over the other's. I'm not even saying that applies to you... in the least... so please do not take it as such....all I'm saying is sometimes it's more stressful holding on to an idea than it's worth. On my home DH and GC both wanted to do a poplar ceiling painted white in my "rustic" kitchen. I fought tooth and nail over that one and won. I've never regretted it for one minute.

You have to decide what to fight for and what to give up.

Good luck.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

phoggie, the room is really not big enough to have a hearth, I feel it would have taken up valuable floor space.

kats, I am so glad that I had that firebox moved. It really would have drove me NUTS. I can live with it as it is, although - I would have really preferred it 4" lower. Building is very stressful, and DH and I have been together for 23 years and this is our 5th new home, plus we major renovated 2 other homes (we must be mental!) but we did make it to the finish line again!! We closed this AM, although there are a handful of things left to do.

Re: the granite, they have a remnant left, and they have agreed to hold it for a few months until I "live" with the incorrect one. If after that period, I just hate it, they will remake it, as a single edge top. It turns out to be an okay solution, since the edge of this mistake is really not my issue now - it's the thickness. If I find this too thick, I would have hated the one I ordered anyway - even if it was made with the right edge.

For now, I am just going to go finish packing and move our stuff in tomorrow!

• jaymielo
    15 years ago

OH MY GOSH tinker! Congratulations! I'm so glad you closed! I'm so excited for you (and more than a little jealous). I can't wait to see your pictures. Oh, how I wish we were done.

Re: Divorces which building... It is definitely a strain. Kats, I can't believe that you know three couples who divorced during the building process! I can't claim not to know that feeling (the I want to kill DH), but... wow.

Congrats again tinker! j.

• kats
    15 years ago

Tinker....first off....congratulations on the closing. That is SO cool. And I'm really glad to hear that you now have time to decide if you can live with the granite finish or have the option to redo it. Reasonable solution.

Jaymielo,
    I know it is weird with 3 couples doing this.
    A couple behind us was already not doing well because of several extreme change orders. The line had been drawn so to speak. Then while one was away the other changed out their already purchased appliances for top line.
    The home across the street from us, the wife had their bathroom gutted out 3 times. Not that the work was bad but she didn't like the way it looked once it was in.
    The last couple was in the process of selling/divorce after only being in their home a few months. Hopefully they're working it out.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler