SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
divamum_gw

Aggressive climber questions (zone 7)

divamum
16 years ago

Hi!

I've posted sporadically to a few of the gardenweb forums, but this is my first post here. Great resource!

I live in MD and am slowly reworking a long-abandoned yard into something a little more loved (and more planted). One of my goals is to hide a really REALLY ugly chainlink boundary fence with a mass of climbing roses. I want:

- aggressive and ideally fast grower that will reliably KEEP growing over the years. Sleeping Beauty's castle thorns are just fine :)

- easy care. I don't mind basic maintenance such as keeping them hydrated, fertilising and pruning seasonally and will spray them a couple of times a year if necessary, but essentially the plants in my garden need to pretty much look after themselves. Bad BS area, it seems, so I need to take that under consideration.

- lots of colour would be nice, but I'm more concerned with ease of care. Fragrance nice, but definitely NOT essential - a nice bonus rather than a requirement or desire.

- I don't mind mixing a couple of varieties if that may suit my requirements - cottage-garden look is the aim in due course.

- soil around here is acid (ph about 6) and pretty dreadful - red, dusty clay, hard as a rock and filled with rocks. I've just dug up the prospective bed (about 20ft long) along the fence (4ft high chainlink on our side, and a 3ft picket above that on the neighbour's side, up a hill, iow total fence height is about 6ft) and dug in a couple of bags of bumper crop; it's covered with a mulching tarp until the autumn, which I'm hoping will help break it down and improve it a little more before planting (am I likely to need to add more compost/manure/whatever before planting?) I'm guessing I'll probably need 4-5 plants to fill in the space the way I want?

I've researched New Dawn, William Baffin and John Cabot (as well as quite a few others) but am a bit overwhelmed by the conflicting information I read, and how differently they perform in different areas, as well as whether they will suit my particular needs. Any recommendations?

Last question: any suggestions for what to plant UNDER them, if anything? I just keep thinking how bare it will look at ground level, so if there's something I can underplant that will not only fill in the space but also help keep weeds down by masking teh ground, that's good too.

Thanks so much!

Comments (20)