SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hillsandvalleys

Suggestions for hardy zone 6 climbers?

hillsandvalleys
13 years ago

I am looking for a great climbing rose for my backyard arbor. It is a big focal point in my yard and right now it looks pretty bare and pitiful. At one time I had it surrounded by about 12- 16 hybrid teas, but I yanked them several years ago. I couldn't stand the constant disease and lack of bloom and vitality. But on a good note, they are the reason I fell in love with Old Garden Roses. So now I'm in search of a great climber for my arbor, because the shrubs I planted are getting boring. I especially love some of the climbing noisettes like Reve D'Or and Crepuscule. They are hardy for zone 6b, but I'm probably more zone 6a. Has anyone had good luck with these in zone 6a or b? I am open to any suggestions. I would like a pretty tall zone 6a climber with good repeat bloom, fragrance, and disease resistance. Tall order,huh? Thanks in advance!

Comments (25)

• garlicgrower
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Are you looking for a yellowish rose?
    I have climbing Autumn Sunset, own root and it is very obliging.
    Though not an antique rose, climbing Aloha own root is drop dead gorgeous. Blooms like puffs of pink whipped cream.
    I also have what I think is Russell's Cottage rose purple, Henry Kelsey Canadian Exploer in blazing red, a couple of other no-name old fashioned pinks trained to climb, even a native Rosa species trained up a post that is taller than me now - over 5 feet tall. and Zepherine Drouhin... These all survive with no protection in my zone 5 locatoin.

Good luck!

• hillsandvalleys
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello. I'm not particular, I like just about every color of roses.
    Does your Aloha get very tall? To cover my arbor it will probably need to be a minimum of 10ft. It sounds beautiful!!!
    I used to be a sucker for the modern hybrid tea roses. I probably wore the ink off a many Jackson and Perkins magazines, getting ready to order the next big thing. But my modern HT's required a strict spray program, some for bugs but mainly disease "blackspot". And when I had children I didn't want them around all that spray. So I decided enough was enough and I quit. The ones that could hack it lived and the ones that couldn't died.
    I appreciate you giving me some roses to consider, I'll definitely check into Aloha. Thanks again for your input!

• Related Discussions

Zone 6B, climber suitable for arbor?

Q

Comments (5)
    I like climbing Aloha, technically not an heirloom yet. But she is lovely pink, fragrant, fully hardy in Zone 5, reaches over 6 feet tall in good years. Requires no special pampering. I started mine from a cutting andhave started several more from the mother plant for different locations. Has some repeat bloom after the June flush. Good luck ML
    ...See More

Any Hardy Climber for my zone?

Q

Comments (12)
    Those are pretty roses... None of the Canadian roses have big HT blooms like that, unfortunately. High Country Roses sells most of the Canadian Explorer and Morden roses, granted they are own root. If you can grow roses grafted on multiflora, Pickering or Hortico might be a good place to find them. I am trying Awakening, Leverkusen, Dortmond, Autumn Sunset, and Antike 89, which are said to be cold hardy climbers. They are only a couple years old, and own root, so I don't know yet how they will fare as climbers. Illusion and Ramblin' Red are supposed to be cold hardy reds (I don't grow them). Shropshire Lad (or is it Generous Gardener??) is planted in an exposed location and seems to want to climb. Here is a link that might be useful: HCR
    ...See More

Fragrant Evergreen Shrubs 2' hardy in zone 6 - suggestions?

Q

Comments (3)
    I have Daphne Odoras and they make it through the winters but NONE of the varieties of Gardenia I've tried (Frost Proof, Chuck Hayes and Kleims) made it through their first winter. So they can call themselves hardy to zone 7 but I'm not buying it, that's why I'm thinking something that says hardy to zone 6 I might trust. The problem with sweetbox and daphne is they aren't summer blooming, that's why I had the gardenia, trying to get some fragrant blooming shrubs in summer. I have too many deciduous trees/shrubs and need more evergreen shrubs around so it doesn't look so bleak in the winter.
    ...See More

Huge rose needed, zone 5 cane hardy, grows to 6x6 or more

Q

Comments (23)
    Yes, it's the same rose. The year I bought my two I think it was listed as 2.5 feet or something odd. HMF says 3-6 feet, but used to say only 3, I think. But funniest is HMF says Ascot grows up to 18 inches wide--mine is about 7 feet. It's a good thing I just happened to plant the one in the photo in a place with lots of room, but I have had to remove a lavender, dianthus, and will remove another big lavender this spring to make way. It's currently duking it out with a huge snowball bush. Who will win? Diane Ascot in 2013--see how far away the snowball is? The rose is touching it now. The lavender on the right is gone and other will soon be gone; it's being crushed.
    ...See More
  • oath5
    13 years ago

I love 'Crepuscule' too but it has taken some time to build size and I am on the 6b/7a cusp here in Maryland. Stingy on blooms too so far. I might buy a second plant and try it in fuller sun. Apparently down south it's a blooming workhorse but it just might not meant to be up here. I've also read it's slow to start so who knows. This year looks good for roses and last year it sent out a 5 ft tall cane, so I'm hoping for the best and similar growth patterns for this year. Then again, another MD local Olga had hers for a while and then it died on her so, we'll see.

You might need to combine climbers, like, have one repeat bloomer and two once bloomers to supplement, or other way around as well as some clematis! That opens you to MANY more roses, as you can do a taller once bloomer that can serve as a backdrop for later summer bloomers and clematis, morning glory, or really any other non-super clingy vine.

'Francesca' the hybrid musk or 'Alberic Barbier' rambler might be worth looking into. The latter has a lot going for it as a climber- very pretty. I'm not sure 100% over either roses health here in MD, but both would look rather striking if paired with blue-purple clematis, people will REALLY be drawn to it. Defintely "focal point" roses if given a good companion for color 'pop'.

I work at a nursery so I just like help people get max color economically and for visual appeal- most often people buy climbers like clematis or some other climber and not realize how few blooms it might give the first years, so I often encourage them to grow it along with inexpensive annual vines like morning glory or moonflower along with it to give color on arbors. There are some rather pretty antique varieties of morning glory, sweet pea, and native vines out there that would be very pretty AND historically accurate to pair with your rose.

I just planted last fall some peachy apricot and coral wichurana's 'Etain', 'Franis Juranville' and 'Auguste Gervais' to climb up into a leggy cherry tree, all around the base in a triangle round the tree. Rogers Roses database seems to put them as pefectly hardy for your area - one of the few times I don't trust HMF, as they say 'Auguste Gervais' is only hardy to 6b. They seem to be rather evergreen for me here and have a considerable amount of buds this spring despite being less than a year old, ramblers, and generally once blooming (to my knowledge, I think one of the three has capacity for some repeat).

'Baltimore Belle' seems rather pretty, and I think 'Aloha' is another pretty one here in the Mid-Atlantic.

SO look into:

'Aloha'
    'Francesca'
    'François Juranville'
    'Auguste Gervais'
    'Etain'

Others I haven't mentioned much - but should be looked into with just as much curiosity:

'Awakening'(pre 1950's)

'New Dawn' (pre 1950's)

'Baltimore Belle' (antique)

'Sally Holmes' (post 1950's)

'Zéphirine Drouhin' (antique, repeats, thornless)

'Veilchenblau' (antique)

A TRUE PURPLE CLIMBER! Combine this one with 'Alberic Barbier' or 'Francesca'....or any of the other peachy colored ones! )

'Reine des Violettes'
    True OLD rose from 1860, a purple-carmine hybrid perpetual that can be grown as a short climber.....

I'm sure there are others I can go look for you- I've stayed away from climbers and only lately have been giving them a chance.

Max

• lori_elf z6b MD
    13 years ago

The Noisettes have not been hardy here for me, plus they are very blackspot prone and I do not spray.

I would recommend for repeaters with good BS resistance:
    Aloha, Rhonda, Rhode Island Red, New Dawn, Awakening, and Ilse Krohn Superior.
    Antiques but more BS prone are: Zepherine Droughin and Kathleen Harrop.

Many of the others mentioned are once-blooming.

• hillsandvalleys
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm in KY and although I'm farther south, my zone is still 6a/b. We may possibly have a shorter winter than MD, but what we have can get pretty cold. And according to both your experiences, Max and "Lori elf", noisettes are not the hardiest for 6b. So, I'm guessing that most of the Noisettes may not be the best choice for me.

I also love the look of Ghislane de Feligonde. I wonder if it would climb or be more shrubby in my area, or if it would be healthy without spraying? I also think Sombreuil is a gorgeous rose but I don't know a lot about it.

"Lori elf" have you grown Madame Alfred Carriere with any luck? I heard someone say that it was a little more hardy and healthier than some of the other noisettes. Ilse Krohn Superior looks like a very pretty rose and I like that it is supposed to have a strong fragrance. Does your get pretty tall with minimal winter dieback? Pretty healthy?

Max, I'm glad you mentioned Rogers Roses. Now I have a new website to review roses! I'm also going to check into Alberic Barbier. Thank you for your suggestions.

Thanks again for everyones input!

• york_rose
    13 years ago

Viking Queen has been highly recommended to me. Clair Matin has been recommended to me as well.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

I was also going to recommend Viking Queen. I don't grow it but it's been drop dead gorgeous in every picture I've seen of it, and is highly recommended by Florence, who I believe does grow it.

Ingrid

• oath5
    13 years ago

hillsandvalleys, my zip code is officially zone 7 but nature is capricious, I take that we can reach zone six temps since we used to be considered zone 6b. However compared to upper PA and such, MD winters are actually rather mild, lowest is generally 20-25 degrees with some dips into the teens but its infrequent.

Either way, it's probably going to be a coin toss for you and noisettes. Just make sure if you do get one, get one that's not a tea-noisette. Vintage Gardens mail-order online catalog splits the noisettes up into two sections, consult those for help! Additionally consult HelpMeFind rose database for cultivars. It's a godsend.

I think Ghislane de Feligonde is known for being blackspot prone.

Olga grew Madame Alfred Carriere rather well here in Maryland, extremely large, but she sprayed it I believe, but it died due to RRD.

I really encourage you to NOT feel like you need to consider just ONE plant to satisfy your need for recurrence, fragrance, and no-spray, as it severely cuts the amount of good roses to consider and one can easily combine a non-blooming with a repeating one upon the arbor.

Some once bloomers are extremely fragrant, some repeating climbers are not, you plant them together there is compromise, you get your scent in the spring, and then some repeat color in the heat of summer. Some once bloomers actually have very long blooming seasons. You could perhaps try training the damask rose 'Ispahan' as a climber- it get's very big, is very fragrant AND for a once bloomer, has a long, long bloom time. It's also VERY VERY old.

Take a look into that one if you like pink!

- Max

• hillsandvalleys
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Max, I think my brain is officially in meltdown mode. So many choices, so few brain cells.

I've grown roses quite a while, just not the OGRs. But several years ago I bought the little Polyantha rose Marie Pavie. She bloomed continually, smelled sweet, and was very disease resistant. And I thought WOW this is a nice change. So that's when I started looking for more older roses. I think they are the more tried and true option.

But long story short, after having to remove so many modern HT's from my arbor several years ago I've gotten a little skittish on my next choices. Plus I have to move 6 shrubs and 6 clematis from the arbor to plant the new rose climbers. So, I'm a little apprehensive in which ones to pick. And if my hubby has to rearrange something at that arbor for the 6th time around, the hole may be a little bigger this time. LOL.

I'm also going to check into Viking Queen that York rose6 and Ingrid recommended..

A remontant, disease resistant, fragrant, tall and hardy climber? That's not asking too much, is it? LOL

Thanks again for all the help!

• ceterum
    13 years ago

Kentucky, based on reports I read from rose growers there, is not so blackspot cursed as Maryland, so you have more choices.

Here are some that will definitely grow over 10' tall

New Dawn
    Mme Alfred Carriere (gets huge)
    Reve d'Or
    Cl. Clotilde Soupert - gets huge
    Laguna (not an OGR but looks like it; very fragrant with pristine foliage- check both forums for photos - I posted one for vuwugarden here,and both hoovb and I've posted photos on the general rose forum for someone who asked for a deep pink climber just today- mine is well over 10')
    Sombreuil
    Parade - most probably as size goes but I am not familiar with its disease resistance

In case of New dawn you must seek out a reliable vendor and a good specimen because there are many roses that are sold as New dawn that are actually the parent Dr. van Fleet that is a once bloomer.

Most of these roses are available grafted from Pickering nurseries if you order early enough (you can check their website with their extensive selection even now). Palatine would send an even bigger Laguna, nobody has such big plants than they do (again: order early fall for fall or spring delivery). The advantage with multiflora grafted plants is that they almost never virused as opposed to roses grafted on Dr. Huey. If your soil pH is not low enough for multiflora grafted roses, you can adjust it by adding sulfur to the area where the climber is planted.

If you long for Reve d'Or, I recommend Chamblee's, they sent me a superb plant that grows like it were on steroids.

• olga_6b
    13 years ago

Parade is not resistant unfortunately
    New Dawn, Awakening, Aloha, Quadra, Ghislane de Feligonde and Aloha Hawaii (one of the newer Kordes climbers) all should work in my opinion.
    Noisettes are not so hardy here. MAC was the best in hardiness, but it was very BS prone for me. I lost other Noisettes including Crpuscule due to our winter weather. I am not sure is it cold or temp swings that we have here in winter that make it difficult for Noisettes her.

I heard good words about Viking King, but never tried it myself.

Olga

• ceterum
    13 years ago

How about hybrid musks? Buff Beauty (grafted on multiflora) is way over 10-12' in my yard and it is quite clean and gorgeous.

Don't forget to check out Laguna. Kentucky is different from Maryland IMHO.

• oath5
    13 years ago

'Plaisanterie' so far for me, as a hybrid musk/china is a prolific bloomer, and relatively healthy so I'm sure in Kentucky it would GREAT climber if you can get a plant of it. PINK- PEACH - AND GOLDEN YELLOW colored 'Trier' flowers all in one giant plant. Pretty darker leaves/canes too- which it inherits from 'Mutabilis' no doubt. Wicked thorns though. The snow broke canes and it still has come back rather well.

'Buff Beauty' got whacked to the ground last summer by some workers and as a young ownroot plant I thought it was toast and this spring it returned with rather surprising vigor- good plant. It does loose some leaves due to blackspot, but again Kentucky might fare MUCH better.

• olga_6b
    13 years ago

You are right, about KY vs. MD. I gardened in KY, CT and MD and KY is better then other two in terms of BS pressure. CT has less pressure then MD. I could grow Dublin Bay, Autumn Sunset, Westerland and some other nice roses no spray in KY.
    Olga

• dmny
    13 years ago

Darlow's Enigma. Found rose(possible hybrid musk). Vigor, hardiness, disease resistance, fragrance, excellent repeat bloom. Exceptional.

• hillsandvalleys
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am glad to hear that KY is not the blackspot capital of the world. A no- spray program is top on my list these days. My little ones loves to smell and pick my roses for me, and I don't want them around it.

I think I've narrowed my choices down. According to some of the roses that everyone has recommended I'm thinking of...

Cl.Clotilde Soupert
    Viking Queen
    Buff Beauty ( really like the color)
    Aloha (not sure if it's tall enough)
    Ghislaine de Feligonde( worried about height and disease)
    John Cabot (worried about height, not much fragance)

I would really love to hear everyones feedback on any of these roses, like how good or bad they have done for you. Or if you think there are better options, I'd be more than happy to hear your opinions.

I need four climbers. I may buy 4 the same or 2 & 2 of certain varieties.

I would like to thank everyone again for all their suggestions!

• ceterum
    13 years ago

If you are thinking of the pink Aloha, I don't think that it will be tall enough. I would suggest to change it to Laguna.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laguna

• hillsandvalleys
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ceterum, your photo of Laguna is absolutely stunning! I've just ousted Aloha. How long did it take to get Laguna that size? Is there a benefit to a grafted Laguna as opposed to an own root? I mostly buy own root. Thanks for the link. That Laguna is beautiful!

• carolinamary
    13 years ago

>Ghislaine de Feligonde( worried about height and disease)

I got the idea of ordering that one for myself from an organically-oriented rose book by Barbara Wilde. She strongly praises the rose in every respect, including its disease resistance for a no-spray garden. She lists it as growing to 10 feet tall, which ought to cover the arbor on one side nicely. In shadier spots, it probably will grow farther to reach for more sun (which I gather from some Help Me Find pictures of it showing canes that far exceed ten feet). Either way, you ought to count on it growing fairly wide too. In my imagination that would be a good thing, assuming you have the width to spare on the ground. Fragrant blooms, flexible canes. Very low in thorns too, which the children picking the roses will appreciate. Hardiness Zones 5-10.

Best wishes,
    Mary

• ceterum
    13 years ago

Well, an own root Laguna will take many years to get to the same size as the grafted plant. My grafted Laguna got 7 or 8' tall the first year if not taller. It bloomed only twice in the first year, if I remember well, because it was busy with growing but that is very natural with a climber.

I think Hoovb's Laguna is only 3 years old. She also got hers from Palatine, grafted, and because she has alkaline soil she used a bit of sulfur around the drip line, I think. With an own root you could wait minimum 5 -6 years to get the same result, IMHO, though Laguna is very vigorous.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoovb's Laguna

• hillsandvalleys
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mary, I really love the look of Ghislaine de Feligonde. Some roses grow a little shorter here than in a more temperate climate. And I've heard that sometimes Ghislaine de Feligonde needs spraying in certain areas. But I still think it's really pretty. I still haven't ruled it out for another empty spot in the yard. Do you grow it? Is it doing well for you? Thanks Mary.

Ceterum, I would like to order Laguna. Do you know of a nursery that ships a grafted Laguna right now? Pickering and Palatine have stopped shipping until fall. Fall planting for roses isn't the best here. Thanks for all your help!

Thanks everybody!

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Clotilde Soupert has a tendency to "ball" in my area----

Ghislaine de Feligonde seems OK in my very shady garden--
    I just checked her and her leaves are squeaky clean so far---
    Viking Queen is a lovely rose and so is Compassion

Here is Viking Queen
    {{gwi:225557}}

{{gwi:255394}}

Florence

• ceterum
    13 years ago

Nobody is shipping grafted plants right now, or if somebody does you should be skeptical about the plant's chance for survival because it was dug up in last October - way too long for a plant to store energy without very careful storage, maybe even with storage. Order in the fall for spring planting.

Zeffy, your Viking Queen is beautiful!

• hillsandvalleys
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Florence, I love the pictures of your Viking Queen! And the foliage is so lush and shiny with a rich green color. Have you had Ghislaine de Feligonde long? I might like this rose on the side my the house.

I thought maybe I would go with 2 Viking Queen and 2 Laguna since I have 4 open spots around my arbor. Hopefully that wouldn't look too much like a circus tent. lol. I'm wondering if I should wait until next spring for grafted or just buy the own root. Sometimes it's hard to wait when the planting bug bites. But also I hate to wait so long for the rose to get any substantial size. What to do, what to do.

Thanks again. I love to talk about roses!

• carolinamary
    13 years ago

>And I've heard that sometimes Ghislaine de Feligonde needs spraying in certain areas. But I still think it's really pretty. I still haven't ruled it out for another empty spot in the yard. Do you grow it? Is it doing well for you? Thanks Mary.

I think it would be good for your other spot too. I've been growing it (still in its original pot) for the longest time... almost 2 months now. So I'm really an expert on that rose!!! :D

But anyway, so far it's absolutely perfectly healthy in maybe four or four and a half hours of midday sun here on hold awaiting planting. Perfectly healthy, in spite of the times when I've watered too late and in spite of some bits of rainfall lasting off and on all night or most of the night (like last night).

It's a vigorous grower (similar to Fortuniana here bought at the same time--both in 2-gallon pots) and needs to go into the ground, but I'm not planting any of the new ones in the new spot until I'm fairly certain that the spread of RRD among the pot ghetto of new roses has stopped... and unfortunately I'm not at all certain of that at this point.

My book by Barbara Wilde speculates that more people would have heard of and tried this rose if it just had some more prosiac name like "Carefree Garland." Peter Beales says "I can't think of a good reason why this rose has not gained the popularity it deserves." Beales lists it as shade tolerant enough to be planted on a north wall or northerly aspect.

For me, one of the attractions for this rose is its appeal as a shrub/climber in the landscape. Fragrant prolific blooms that are cuttable are a plus.

As far as no-spray goes, I'd think that the most pertinent experience would be from someone in your own area who has tried it, even though I'm seeing writers from widely different areas who think it's strongly disease-resistant.

I'd also think that if someone trying it does use chemicals on other nearby plants, that that practice might have an effect on the overall health of the healthy soil balance of micro organisms that the plant depends on to make its own disease-protection systems work.

Judging from the information I've seen from Paul Zimmerman, a more pertinent question for local rosarians might be about the disease-resistant conditions of the plant in year three or four of growing in a no disease spray yard, not in year one. If plants are left alone in a no-spray yard to develop their own disease resistance, it might take 1-3 years to accomplish that. But by year four, if the grower isn't feeling comfortable that its looks/health are acceptable and an asset to the yard, then you might chalk it up to a rose that doesn't meet your standards for good disease resistance and not try it, or get rid of it if you've had it that long. That said, sometimes a rose is just so disease resistant that it seems healthy from day one in an organically oriented yard. Like Mortimer Sackler, this rose might be one of those kinds. Anyway, I'm thrilled to have a Ghislaine De Feligonde and if it goes to RRD, I'll for sure be ordering it again.

Best wishes,
    Mary