SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jardineratx

Is my Hickory tree stunting my rose bushes?

jardineratx
11 years ago

I have been trying for several years to grow a hedge row of tea roses along my property line and the roses simply will not grow there. I am beginning to think it has something to do with a hickory tree that is growing approximately 20 feet from the row of roses. The tree was young when the roses were planted, so there was no problem digging through roots to plant. The tree is located where it does not shade these roses and is growing at the end of the line of the tea row. They get plenty of sun. The soil has been amended and the roses get adequate water.

Through the years (approximtely 6 years), I have dug up and replaced tea roses that have failed to grow and I have decided there must be a reason for this repeated failure of roses to thrive here. I currently have a Mamam Cochet, Thomasville Old Gold, Wm. Allen Richardson, Ms. Abel Chatanay, Duchess de Brabant and every one of these is refusing to grow and bloom. I have in the past planted and dug up from this row: M. Joseph Schwartz, Rosette Delizy, Niles Cochet, M. Tillier, M. Antoine Mari, Mrs. B.R.Cant and Chireno.

Any thoughts on this?

Molly

Comments (8)