SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tessiess

Rethinking Feeding Alfalfa to Roses in Southern California

I've had horses for more than 40 years in Southern California. And I have also had roses. This has meant easy access to manure, which I've used in placing in the bottom of the holes when planting roses with good results. Manure is not the same as hay or hay pellets specifically. Just fyi, but alfalfa hay grows well in the west and so it is a typical feed for California horses. My horses have eaten alfalfa for years along with some grain.

Now back to my roses. This year for the first in many, I was adding roses to my garden. Lots of new roses (many antiques and species). And I was reading and hearing from plenty of folks on these forums and elsewhere on the web, that they were giving alfalfa teas or adding alfalfa pellets to their rose beds. I didn't take time to consider what that might mean, just thought how convenient. I have lots of alfalfa pellets on hand, I'll just toss a few handfuls to my roses.....

Then something happened that turned a light bulb on for me. I bought Reine des Violettes in February of this year. And I started reading here and in the Antique Roses Forum about all the problems people were having growing this rose in California because of terrible chlorosis. People mentioned this rose HATES alkaline conditions in the soil (common in California). It likes more acidic conditions. Ding, ding, DING! In more recent years research in horses has shown that alfalfa hay greatly increases the ph of the horse's stomach--yep makes it go alkaline. Much more so than other hays typically fed. It does it by various mechanisms (including a high calcium content). And they've found feeding horses with stomach ulcers alfalfa can help the ulcers heal and also feeding alfalfa to horses on a high grain diet (produces more acid) or under stress (produces more acid) can help prevent ulcer formation, the buffering capability of alfalfa is so good. See link at the bottom of my post for reference, "Forage Buffering Capacity Relevant in Gastric Ulcer Prevention" (or check for yourself by doing a Google search).

I knew all that without reading that document. So when it came to feeding my roses with alfalfa pellets, I decided NOT to give Reine des Violettes any. And btw I have hard water too. So I thought giving this rose alfalfa and watering with hard water would be like giving her an alkaline bath--not a good idea. I planted her in the ground in February and guess what? Not even the slightest hint of chlorosis. I didn't add any sulfur to the soil or use an acidifying food. Just mulched with shredded redwood bark, the same with the rest of the flower beds. Redwood bark is slightly acidic. But so many were recommending alfalfa, I would try it, but pay attention to how the plants responded.

Now what happened with my other roses? Well I fed many of them with alfalfa pellets (plain hay pellets, not including grain or molasses). I tried it twice I was so disbelieving of what I was seeing. I even tried feeding one of a plant alfalfa and the other none. Did the same with some other non-rose plants. Oh my. Roses which I'd had for over 15 years which had never shown chlorosis developed it, BOOM, such as York and Lancaster and Mme A. Labbey. A full grown seedling from Eurodesert had its leaves turn WHITE. I fed alfalfa to one plant of President Dutailly. It didn't leaf out at all. Suckers of that same President Dutailly planted in a pot and given no alfalfa leafed out and got buds. And remember all these roses are getting the very same water.

My everblooming Cl. Cecile Brunner (planted approximately 40+ years ago) which has never stopped blooming except for a short breather *in winter* completely shut down. Also the leaves became a much lighter green (and something else appeared which may be of interest to Henry Kuska....). Jenny Duval and Queen of Denmark mildewed bigtime. Jenny Duval's leaves took on a sickly odd color. I bought 2 plants of Angelonia and planted them in the ground on the same day in the same potting soil (Edna's Best), approximately 3 feet apart. The one given alfalfa is much shorter than the other with much lighter green leaves, smaller and few flowers. The other plant not fed alfalfa is MUCH bigger and sports very dark green leaves plus lots of larger flowers. It looks wonderful. Lobelia and clarkia fed alfalfa turn belly up and send up a white flag. Other plants seem not to care, such as snapdragons, carnations, and columbines. Btw, for the second trial feeding of alfalfa pellets I used perhaps 3/4 of a 50lb bag scattered in beds a good 50 feet wide and about 30 feet deep. So not a huge amount on any plant. Of course avoiding near Reine des Violettes and a few others just for comparison. All plants kept well hydrated. Fyi, for the first feeding, I used less than a quarter of a 50lb bag of pellets, scattered throughout the flower beds.

So I'm really wondering where the recommendation for alfalfa came from, if it didn't come from somewhere in the country with *acidic soil*? It might be wonderful for roses with that type of soil as it might raise the ph, act as a buffer to the acid. But in areas of the country with alkaline soil and/or hard water, perhaps this isn't the best idea. Roses treated fed this way in alkaline soil may under perform in various ways whether or not they show chlorosis outright. I do think the pelleted hay is a very convenient method for feeding roses and other plants. However, I'm going to look into other types of hays for my *Southern California* garden. Hays that are more acidic in nature. I have access to plenty at the feed store. I also routinely search the veterinary databases so finding that information shouldn't present too much of a problem. I always observed my horses over the years to see how they were doing on a particular diet and adjusted rations accordingly. Why not with my roses?

Btw, the roses which have had the alfalfa removed/receiving no more are greening up. The chlorosis is receding. Same water, no sulfur, no acidifying fertilizer either.

Melissa

Here is a link that might be useful: Forage Buffering Capacity Relevant in Gastric Ulcer Prevention

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting