SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

My huge old MAC was murdered!

jacqueline9CA
13 years ago

About 15 years ago I planted 2 Madame Alfred Carrieres behind and next to our garage, along with 2 Mermaids. The idea was to see if I could get them to grow up over the ugly garage, which is way at the back of our property. Two feet behind the garage is the fence of our back yard neighbor, which is a family shelter.

All four roses were planted in deep shade, garage wall on one side and back or side 8 foot fences 2 feet away. The Mermaids promptly died (probably a good thing- when I planted them I had not realized that 2 Mermaids could cover our entire back garden, not just the garage), but the MACs survived, grew huge, ate the garage, and one of them has climbed 10 feet up a pine tree. Yay!

This past Spring, just as it was coming into full bloom, someone cut off every bit of the MAC that was at the back of the garage which extended over the fence line. This is of course their right (at least in CA), as it was in their "air space". The cut off part was only about 1/4 of the plant, so I was not much concerned. The shelter frequently gets volunteers to help with the "yard work" (how I hate that concept!), and there is one man who loves to use his power tools to cut back anything at all that is green & growing. However, to my dismay it soon became apparent that more than cutting had been involved. The entire plant dried up and died - unopened buds and flowers and all. I presume that someone put some sort of poison on the cut ends, like "brush begone" - how else could this have happened? The other MAC, which borders a different neighbor's garden, was fine.

I immediately flushed the ground around it with lots of water, but it remained dead, dead. I was so annoyed that I left the huge carcass for the back neighbor to look at (we cannot see it from our house, and I had planted it in the first place so they would have something lovely to look at, instead of the ugly back of our garage).

My husband has decided that we need to get the garage painted, so he just recently cut down the carcass and hauled it to the dump. There was only one main cane - its stump is still there. It is now about 10 inches high, and 7-8 inches in diameter. I have a question - does anyone have any experience with this type of poison and roses? Is there any chance that the roots might have survived? I told my DH to leave the stump alone. By this Oct/Nov our 4-5 month rainy season will start, and I am wondering if there is any hope that the MAC might come back from the roots next Spring. I fear that they are dead too, but you never know. Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks -

Jackie

Comments (20)