SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzabad

Need quick soil help

suzabad
14 years ago

a couple of months ago, I bought about 20-25 minis when Nor'East decided to stop selling to the public. The intention was to put them out front in our newly leveled and landscaped front yard. The fill dirt was less than optimal. It holds water way too much for roses so...since I was in a hurry...I did a quick amend with potting mix. It works "OK" but not definitely not the best solution. (I'll fix that in the spring)....but that isn't the purpose of this post. Since those are fairing just OK, I decided to pot the others up for a season to give them a little better growing environment. Herein lies the problem. I had my son pick up some potting mix and made sure to tell him not to get any with the moisture retaining beads. He got regular potting soil (Miracle Grow Potting mix)and I potted them up. But there is still too much moisture remaining after I water, and my plants are not fairing all that well. Since he bought several bags I don't want to toss them....I just need to know how to amend this stuff to make it dryer....yes, dryer...drainage isn't the issue, the soil is just staying too wet (I am even getting mushrooms/toadstools coming up)

Any suggestions? If it can't be amended, I have a couple of unlevel places in the back I could pour it out, but I need a recommendation for another type of prepared mix to use.

Comments (3)