SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
val_s

Conversation Area

val_s
15 years ago

I just wanted to let those of you who have expressed an interest in a Conversations area within this forum, that I have sent a message asking if we could have one.

I'll let you know what the reply is.

Val

Comments (43)

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

Its been nice knowing you. ;-)

• billhill
    15 years ago

That's funny. What joepyeweed means is that the reply won't come until the next century. This is a pretty loose forum. A lot of conversation goes on in a few of the threads.

• Related Discussions

Conversations Area for This Forum?

Q

Comments (15)
    Obviously Big Brother no longer has the time to monitor what's going on in the forums. I've tried 'Contact Us' twice without so much as a "Take a hike". This almost feels like we're back in school with a substitute teacher. It seems we could start a 'Conversation' forum within any forum and no one upstairs at iVillage would give a rat's.....
    ...See More

How large is your conversation area within your LR or FR?

Q

Comments (7)
    My living room is 17x30. The conversation/seating area is in front of the FP at one end of the room, sofa, two chairs, with a large square coffee table, on a 9x12 rug with the furniture on the rug. Behind the sofa, just off the rug, a sofa table with lamp defines the separate area, and there is room to walk through at one side without walking through the grouping. The other side has enough room to bring in additional lightweight chairs if needed. The other end of the room contains the dining room furniture, an arrangement I dislike, but made necessary when we needed the den for a home office and converted the dining room into a den. We rarely used the dining room anymore, but it was pretty and I miss it. The den has a similar arrangement of sofa and two chairs, but with furniture partly on and partly off an 8x10 rug with a smaller coffee table and two end tables. Also has room for additional smaller chairs if needed. I find these to be comfortable for conversation without being too cramped.
    ...See More

Living Room with Step-Down Layout Ideas

Q

Comments (6)
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts. My fiancee would really love to have the room feel like one large space if possible, and so we're trying to see if we can make it work with one large rug, if possible. We would also like to soften the space as much as possible, and provide some softer landing spots for our pups. I agree with Yaya about the couch I posted. I like the look, but comfort should be just as important. I'll keep tossing around new ideas. Thanks again!
    ...See More

Downsized in real life. Update on my 1939 living room.

Q

Comments (110)
    This house was 1700sf, but I want to "age in place" so I added a first-floor master suite, laundry and a new kitchen. The stairs are narrow, without a handrail, so I didn't want to use the upstairs master (it's now my studio)! The person before me lived here 30 years and had one of those lift chairs until she finally had to go into assisted living. The old kitchen didn't have original cabinets and there was only 1.5 feet (really) on two sides of the island, the cabinets were only 1 foot deep and the 1980s fridge couldn't be removed without removing the island (width of the sink and dw only). The rooms are on a 12' wide scale. So, my new master and kitchen are 12'x12'. My previous home that my husband and I built was over 4000 sf on 4.5 acres. I was an avid gardener (and blogger). I don't have the gardening/blogging in me anymore. I have 1/2 acre here.
    ...See More
  • val_s
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Its been nice knowing you

Hmmm...well....I had a life before I started coming here, I imagine I can have one after. That's assuming I can find it again.

What joepyeweed means is that the reply won't come until the next century.

I'm glad you cleared that up Bill, cause that's not what I thought she meant. :-)

This is a pretty loose forum. A lot of conversation goes on in a few of the threads.

Ohhhh...I know conversation goes on in the threads! But what I'm really thinking about is someplace where you can get to know people or talk about things not SC&M related. I think there's some really interesting people on here that it would be fun to talk with regarding other things (not necessarily personal....well....maybe a little).

Like: Does anyone own one of those Amish fireplaces they've been advertising? Hubby and I've been playing around with the idea of getting one.

Like: What is with Annpat and the whole bread thing?

Like: Is it better to keep your basement heated? I think we should, hubby thinks we shouldn't.

Like: Why is Lloyd spelled with two L's?

Like: Why is JPW's dog so much smarter than mine?

These just don't seem like the types of questions that the more scientific composters would want to hear about. I just thought it'd be nice to have a place to switch over to when some of us are feeling in a more talkative mood.

I had seen an interest in some of the other posts and for me with winter being here (yes...I know it's not cold everywhere) I thought a little chit chat would be fun.

Val - slinking away to her favorite warm spot

• soilguy
    15 years ago

Good idea, Val - like it.
    I have questions too, but...y'know - they were not "on topic", so didn't seem 'appropriate'.

We're building our house, and going to put in a fireplace, and have looked 'regular' fireplaces, and ventless propane and such. We don't want to burn wood, though.

Haven't found a forum to ask such questions on.
    Does somebody have a 'favorite' non-wood fireplace, and WHY is it favored over other non-wood-burning fireplaces?
    And what propane log configurations actually look 'real'?

Robert

• takadi
    15 years ago

A live chat area would be a better idea

• val_s
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A live chat area would be a better idea

The problems with live chat as I see it:

1. It's hard to explain to everyone how to use IRC
    2. Not everyone can get to live chat at the same time (or they can). Either way it's a problem for me. Your either sitting there with no one to talk to or so many people are chatting at once, you miss something (been there done that).

My vote is still for a "conversation area"

Val

• paulns
    15 years ago

Joepye, depends how long iVillage's memory is?

• Lloyd
    15 years ago

"Like: Why is Lloyd spelled with two L's?"

Two els? How the heck did that happen?

Loid

Here is a link that might be useful: What it all means.

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

ROTFL Loid! Good one!

Me thinks I sense some winter cabin fever setting in on this forum already. ;)

Dave

• kiddo_1
    15 years ago

ROFLMHO! Good one LLooyydd!
    Kris

• val_s
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Like: Why is Lloyd spelled with two L's?

Thanks Loid - that takes care of one of my questions.

Val

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

I don't know. I followed Loid's link to what it all means. It led to descriptive words like
    mean
    grey
    male.

Hmmm.....

Karen

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

I always thought Joe Pye was a 'he'...

{{gwi:319200}}

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

Robert,
    Maybe check out the fireplace forum on the home forums? I don't know if there's anything good on there or not, but it may be a place to start...

• val_s
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, Tiffy.....I saw this is one of her posts:

Usually I am running the mower, while my hubs is running the shredder.

So I assumed she was a she.....but in this day and age I guess I shouldn't assume things :-)

Val - politically incorrect

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

I am a hermaphrodite. A flower with both male and female parts. ;-)

(No offense to actual hermaphrodites, intended.)

• User
    15 years ago

OMG tiffy, that photo is precious!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Gee, I thought someone would come at me with a comment about the Joe Pye Weed with a bird... Pardon the pun. (Oh, my bad. eh?)

Idaho,

That photo was taken during Tropical Storm Bertha. At one point we looked out the window and saw these yellow things on the JPW and realized the plant was full of Warblers - about 20 of them. Cute!

Val, I think you have inadvertently established a place for conversation. Good going!! :O)

• val_s
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tiffy, talk about being blind! I didn't pay attention to that pic very good. I thought it was a butterfly in there LOL. I went back and sure enough, it was a bird. I didn't know those plants got THAT big. Cool!

Val

• kiddo_1
    15 years ago

Val, around here the wild joe pye weed gets over 6 feet tall and absolutely gorgeous in the fall. In my garden I had a shorter variety called "chocolate" with deep burgundy foliage and smaller white flowers. Both types are a nice late forage plant for the pollinators.

Tiffy, I envy you the warbler visit.... :-) Great pic.
    Kris

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

20 Warblers, that is exciting. What kind of warbler is that?

I was looking in my bird book, but there are so many.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Val, That particular Joe Pye was winter sown (as per the Winter Sowing Forum here) and this being it's fourth year it reached beyond the livingroom window (where the photo was taken from) which means it grew to about 8 feet tall. I have seeds if you want to contact me through my page.

Joepyeweed,

Not sure what kind, but a lady on the Winter Sowing Forum identified it as such. I mistook them for American Goldfinches, but she's a 'birder' and I know she knows more about them than I do. :O)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Gosh, I must be blind too when I saw the photo I thought it was a butterfly too. I had to go back and look again!
    It really does at glancing look just like a butterfly!

:) Fran

• val_s
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Tiffy - thanks for the offer of the seed. Wish I had a place for it. We just moved into this house last year and it has no landscaping whatsoever.

This past summer we were so busy with some major things to the house (new roof, basement de-watering system, replacing microwave, stove, water softener, hot water heater, cutting down two huge ash trees) that I didn't get anything done in the yard to speak of.

I couldn't even get my vegetable garden in until late fall because we had to have another (funky) tree cut down in the back yard too.

Next spring/summer I'm planning on trying to get some of the hard-scape put in. I'm going to try my hand at putting in brick pathway. Should be fun (not).

I did throw some hostas on the side of the house because one of them belonged to my grandma but that's about as far as I've gotten in getting something planted. Oh yeah! and we had a tree planted to replace the two ash trees.

Anyway, that's more info than you needed, right?

Val

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Val,

You never know... Once you start putting those bones in you might like doing it. At least I know I did. Here's some retaining walls built from 'dumpster diving'. Don't have a truck so every AM in the summer of 2003 I'd go and load up the trunk of the car and take a brick manufacturer's garbage home. Loved it!

When we got here in 2001 there were no gardens - not a flower. There was a rock wall which any gardener would OOOH and AAHHH over. Decided to start gardening there first and terrace the back of the first level. Then I wanted a path to work behind that first garden and be able to work the second terrace. Here's a couple of photos... Basically, everything further than the rock wall was built that summer since I wasn't working at the time.

{{gwi:319201}}

{{gwi:240891}}

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

tiffany, its definitely a warbler. I get goldfinches all the time and its not a goldfinch.

Val and I have discovered that we live fairly close to each other.

So Val, you are telling me that you have a NAKED yard. And I have lots of native wildflower seeds that I could share with you that would be local eco-types.

Dec. 21st, the winter solstice is the optimum time to sow wildflowers. (Its not scientifically optimum, its wiccan optimum.)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

JPW,
    Finally got the big bird book out and it's a Black-throated Green Warbler. This must be a female since the olive green on the crown and such is described as being 'duller' on them.

I'll be winter sowing a couple of containers tomorrow just for the fun of it. :O) I really enjoy doing it. It's how I got most of the plants in my gardens. (The variegated plant in the second photo up there, Heliopsis Lorraine Sunshine, was winter sown 4 years ago.) Then I take a break for the Holidays and when the new year rolls around I get into it full force. Beats the winter blues!

• val_s
    Original Author
    15 years ago

JPW - yes....I am embarrassed to say "my yard is NAKED". The only thing I hated about leaving my last house was we had a beautiful back yard that we'd worked years on and the front was coming along. I like this house and location very much but you can tell the yard was NOT loved. I would greatly appreciate the wildflowers as soon as I can get some beds in.

As for wiccan.....I'm almost ashamed to tell you that we are going to be taking out a Hawthorn tree next year....but it's just sooooo in the wrong place.

Tiffy - that is amazing how you have taken so many different landscaping blocks and put them together to look so GOOD! In our last house we had a professional do all the hardscaping but this time I'm going to try and do it myself. I really paid attention on how he laid our walkways and paths so I've got an idea on what to do but.....it's a lot of work.

Dig down 10 feet, add 7 feet of gravel then 3 feet of sand, lay bricks, rent a wet saw for the cuts, spread paver sand over all, wet down with buckets of water. (just kidding)

Anyway, with all the additional stuff we had to buy last year, we don't have the money to hire him again (although I think he's the best in the area) so I'm going to attempt it myself. We'll see how it goes.

Val

• val_s
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The temp here right now is -3F windchill of -23F (-19C windchill -30C), ice covering everything, more expected later. I'm getting my info from the local airport which is only about a mile from my house.

I don't even want to think about going out to the compost bin but my bucket is full under the sink. I might just set it on the deck until later in the week.

How's everyone else doing? So glad today is the shortest day of the year, can't wait for it to start getting noticeably longer.

Val

• Lloyd
    15 years ago

Good morning Val

It is too cold up here as well, -11F with a windchill in the -36F range. But the sun is up and there is about 6-8 inches of snow on my driveway. There is no way I'm going out to clean it at these temperatures!

Looking through all the news reports on the weather, Wow.

Then I come back to GW, kinda neat to scroll through the pictures of the gardens then look out the window at the snow. Kinda surreal.

Lloyd

• burra_maluca
    15 years ago

Lloyd is a misspelling of llwyd, the welsh word for grey. English speakers can't usually pronounce 'll' so they just pretend there's only one L and pronounce it accordingly.

• paulns
    15 years ago

Peterson's Field Guide says that warbler's voice is "A lisping dreamy zoo zee zoo zoo zee or zee zee zee zee zoo zee, the zee notes on same pitch, the zoo notes lower."
    :)

• val_s
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My dad had to come stay with us the last couple of days because a limb took his power out. So far, it's still not back on.

Lloyd, I like looking at the pics too. I get lots of ideas from them. Sometimes too many :-)

Val

• jim_6b
    15 years ago

Hi Val,
    I can't remember the last time I posted here but I still lurk often. I have been around long enough to remember when there was a Conversation area here. I'm not sure when or why they removed it.
    Jim

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

OK Paul, I admit it!!! I tried to make the sound of the zoos and zees. LMAO!! You got me. :O)

Did you get those nasty 120 km/hr winds today?? Glad our power stayed on - for once!

Val,
    Here's a hosta garden for you.
    {{gwi:271354}}

• val_s
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Jim - Well, it will come as NO surprise to anyone that I haven't heard back from any admins about a conversation area but....I haven't given up hope yet.

Tiffy - You are either trying to be mean and cruel showing me that picture....cause you know my "envy" level is just about to bursting.....or......you're just trying to show me one BEAUTIFUL! picture to help my winter blahs. LOL

That is one GORGEOUS hosta garden, lady! Did you bring in those boulders or were they there and you added around them?

Val

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Oh Val, My intent is not to tease but to inspire. That area was lawn at the edge of the woods and one day DH's leg went through it. It had been 'infilled' with old logs underneath and 21 cinder brincks. In the spring of 2002, I began digging and found the logs and bricks and underneath was beautiful woodland soil nestled in the natural boulders of our area. I started acquiring hostas from family and friends and there they went. The hosta garden is actually about five times what's in the photo.

Unless I can find something to deter the deers from the hostas, the looks of this garden will be changing in the next two years. I've successfully winter sown some Ariseama Consanguinium (Pitcher Plants), and this year am trying some Rodgersias. Monkshoods and Brunneras will also be added. Looking forward to something new but will surely miss the hostas. Want some??

• val_s
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well...for whatever reason you posted, it's beautiful. And it IS inspiring. Those pesky deer - cute, but destructive.

Val

• 11otis
    15 years ago

Hi Val,
    I like this place. Yes, some people posting on GarbenWeb gets highly scientific and in no time we have the "scientists" bickering w. each other. Gives me a headache.

I love your Hosta garden tiffy. No slug/snail problems?
    Merry Christmas.
    Otis

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Otis,

I have slugs and snails galore but I think that using lots of UCGs in my compost which is use to top dress the gardens every spring may be minimizing them. If I go a year without using it, they hit the gardens as though I had laid out a salad for them.

• 11otis
    15 years ago

tiffy,
    what is UCG?
    I am new to forums and I noticed there are a lot of abbriviations used. Getting educated very slowly here, hehe.

• val_s
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Otis - Yeah...I like this place too.

Although sometimes I have a hard time following the scientific people, if you really pay attention there's some interesting things in their posts. Of course sometimes you have to really dig deep LOL

As for the bickering....ahem.....what can I say. Tis the nature of the beast is forums. And I've been known to be in on that bickering once or twice. The best thing you can do if it bothers you is to ignore it. It will all come right in the end.

UCG = Used Coffee Grounds

Below is a link to an acronym page that has some useful ones for this forum.

Val

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil Forum Shorthand Definitions

• 11otis
    15 years ago

Thanks Val, it is useful indeed.
    I will save the UCG from now on to top dress my Hostas. I gave my Worm-Bin UCG only once (a few tbl-sp)and stopped doing it because the old coffee smell it gave my kitchen where I have my bin.
    Otis