SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veilchen_gw

My garden was in a wedding!

veilchen
16 years ago

On Sat., my friend's son and his fiance were married in our garden. They had asked us back in May, and I was a little worried how things would look come Aug. 25, but the garden looked gorgeous!

I had planted some annuals such as asters and angelica throughout to make up for the lack of perennials blooming at this time of year, but phlox 'David' had started to bloom, as did the 2nd bloom of blue and purple delphiniums. Also heliopsis and echinacea, I cut some heliopsis and placed it in an urn to spread around the yellow color.

And the roses really cooperated! Nearly all were in the middle of a very strong 2nd flush. My roses performed strangely this year--usually all my Austins repeat nonstop after the first flush, but probably due to lack of rainfall/hot weather and my neglect with the hose, they entered a real lull in July. But by Aug. they were full of buds and by mid-month were in a flush rivaling the spring. Brother Cadfael was a real star, as was Abe Darby and Crown Princess Margarita. And Helena Renaissance hung onto some gorgeous fat pointy blooms. Even G. Jeckyl managed to have a final bud open for the day, and my tree-form Mary Rose opened the first bud of its 2nd flush.

The wedding procession started under my wrought-iron arbor which is flanked by two Constrance Spry. Since CS only blooms in June, I ended up clipping a bunch of white marigolds I had growing in the veg. garden and weaving them through the rose foliage ("climbing marigolds"!). It actually looked great and the cut marigolds stayed fresh-looking the whole day despite the 93 degree heat.

The bridal party walked along my curving grass path to another "portable" wooden arbor we borrowed from neighbors, which was flanked with potted dahlias I had started earlier in order to have some color that could be moved around where needed. The flower girl tossed rose petals I had collected that morning along the path.

It was very beautiful (the ceremony and my garden) and I was teary-eyed not only for the bride & groom, but also (maybe some of you will understand this) for my garden. I was thinking "look how far we've come" as if the garden was an entity. There were about 60 guests and a big white tent, music, food, and dancing right in my back yard next to the garden, with white lights strung all around.

The photographer took loads of pictures, which I will share some soon as I get some copies.

Thanks for letting me share my moment of pride!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting