SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim_w_ny

Pondering tough roses (grow in poor soil)

jim_w_ny
15 years ago

I ponder a lot, about roses I mean.

Why is it that some roses manage to survive, well even to prosper, in my rose garden that is by any measure less than ideal. Lots of roses curl up their roots and conk out. So when I'm about to do the right thing, reform and amend the devil out of my soil this contrary thought comes to me Rugosa Alba is absolutely impervious to almost any condition. Grows and spreads in soil that is a foot or so deep. No BS few beetles, at least I've never noticed them piling on to a bloom.

As the now popular expression goes, "It is what it is!"

Doesn't satisfy my curiosity.

Then this morning I was posting about how perfect Elmshorn was yet there are only two nurseries that carry it, both Canadian. Not quite as bullet proof as Alba but it is close ('Though it is a far better repeater.)

I suppose the answer is that such roses present little challenge and those others with ravishing flowers or fragrance attract. So be it.

I'll just have to get with it and pamper them with lots of humus. Still I wonder how the tough ones do it? Or what roses were crossed to weaken the lot?

Oh and just the other day I discovered that the Beales book had a listing of those that grew in poor soil. I was about to start poring over it when in looking further it seems that many carried that rating. Shucks!

Comments (10)