SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Roses that you wish you had NOT bought at all

strawchicago z5
12 years ago

TOPIC: Roses that you wish you had never bought in the first place VERSUS Roses that you truly enjoy.

Before I pull up the sod and make a giant bed getting ready for my April 2012 rose order, I am doing a survey to see what roses are worth the time and water.

I wish that I had never bought Easy Elegance Grandma's Blessing Rose in the first place. I saw it at HomeDepo bursting in blooms (must be high in K-steroids from the nursery). Now it looks like a shaggy pointy dog in summer heat. It gives Mutan Ninja 2-tone blossoms: the color spots irregularly. They should rename it "Easy Mess".

There was a previous thread entitled "Roses that you hate / Roses that you love". I got many laughs out of that, from the great humorist who wrote, "Brother Cadfael - organismic ... Jude the Obscure - can't get his paws off me!"

Roses that I enjoy: Knock-outs (I never water them, and they never die on me). Flower Carpet (glossy leaves that look great even without flowers, very drought-tolerant).

I enjoy Austin roses. When we went to Cantigny Rose Park, I sniffed Eglantyne for the first time. It was a brief moment in paradise, very exhilirating - better than falling in love, better than chocolate. Jude the Obscure smelled like an exotic tropical dessert. We went to Dairy Queen afterwards, and I was a saint there - who cares for boring ice cream after one had sniffed Yummy Yude the Obscure?

If we didn't go to the rose park, I probably would stuff myself with ice cream until I explode. Our next generation would be better off getting high on roses, rather than drugs, sex, and booze !!!

Sniffing roses is more effective for me in weight loss, more so than sniffing stinky peppermint. Or is it from digging trench, eating bananas, and hauling horse manure?

Some weight-loss industry ought to develop "The Anorexia Rose". Another Garden-Web member compared Gentle Hermione's fragrance to "stinky breath baby poop". Both I and my daughter got a good laugh out of that - thanks.

What are the roses that you wish you had not bought in the first place, and the roses that you truly enjoy?

Comments (52)

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Jackie, add terminal rust to the mix and you have why I detested ZD. To the list in my SoCal climate (south SFV and the SCV), I would enthusiastically add Souv. de la Malmaison and anything related, including sports. Nasty foliage with flowers which refuse to open properly with the mere mention of humidity let alone any real moisture; Bourbons, in general, for the same reasons, plus rust; Paul Neyron and 99% of the HP class for rust, black spot, mildew, misshapen flowers (when you get any at all) and Dr. Huey type rampant growth; any Hybrid Rugosa (except Linda Campbell, not perfect, but serviceable and a great landscape filler) due to the too-long growing season with too short lived foliage resulting in RUST, the pure definition of rust combined with a total inability to withstand any preventative or curative spraying; anything with the name "Simplicity" in it due to terminal rust which resists all attempts to prevent; New Dawn and all closely related offspring because of rampant growth, Dorothy Perkins quality mildew, awful misshapen and off color flowers and no rebloom without religious dead heading; Ballerina because of chronic chlorosis, mildew and foliage that becomes dead and dying debris immediately and gets trapped in the plant which refuses to allow it to even be washed out, plus "Chihuahua teeth prickles" guaranteed to embed themselves in your flesh until the Second Coming; Margo Koster for her chronic mildew adorning a truly ugly plant, stale cantaloupe colored flowers which die and remain on the bush until the wood beneath it dies back; The Fairy and its close relatives and sports for nasty prickles, nearly the quality of Ballerina's, dead, dried flowers which refuse to fall from the plant and chronic mildew; and the Damask, Centifolia and Gallica classes because of their complete climatic unsuitability for my "endless summer" climate.

Of these, with the exception of Margo Koster which is a color I genuinely can't stomach on a plant of equal distasteful quality, my objections to them are nearly purely due to their total unsuitability for my desert climate with over tones of coastal influences. Where they are happy, they are glorious. Where they aren't, they are terrible and not worth the resources to cajole them into existing. Yes, you MIGHT be able to coax some of them along where they are unhappy, but once you've seen them well grown where they ARE happy, nothing you can do to them can ever make them as nice as they can be. There are so many really GREAT roses which are happy in my climate, I simply choose not to waste space and resources trying to make them happy. Like trying to grow stone fruit requiring 700 hours of winter chill to perform in a climate providing only 200 hours, they'll never do what they CAN do in a more suitable climate. Kim

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I've never purchased a rose I didn't like...but many didn't like our winters. Some beautiful hybrid teas have turned out to be lovely annuals :)

• Related Discussions

Do or die time- What do you wish someone had told you?

Q

Comments (33)
    I wish I knew then about making sure that the flooring contractor would check on how level the slab was. Midway through laying the ceramic in the kitchen, his guy came upon a hump in the floor and although they made it work, well that was stupid. Don't skimp on the floors if you get tile. Go for something that's nice and flat (no beveling) so the mop will at least touch the grout, and of a high hardness. Mine is chipping where they meet from things being dropped on it. If I had to do it over, I actually think I'd go for the highest quality, cushioned vinyl roll out on the market, or at least a very high quality porcelain tile. I had Kentile (sp) in my old kitchen that was 15 years old and looked like new. Can't get it anymore, but sometimes I wish I'd pulled those tiles up and brought them with me! I didn't want wood because I have an engineered wood, BR1111 Amendiom surrounding the kitchen, and it's entirely too soft and scratches too easily for kitchen use. And, what a nightmare that would have been with them trying to glue down those floors on a big hump in the slab. I'm waiting and gathering before I proceed further, to soak up as much as I can from the experience here.
    ...See More

Favorite feature in your home...and one you wish you had

Q

Comments (16)
    Steph, if you have issues with plumbing, is it the supply water failing? Is it the sewer line failing? Just which side of your system is not dependable? Why I ask, have you ever thought about a COMPOSTING TOILET? I bet it would work in your situation VERY well. I'm told that if I want one, to go ahead and get it for my garage redo, but don't tell anyone. A lot of communities object to having them around. Not being that familiar with their operation, I could not say...but I'm always interested in doing something out of step with the ordinary, maybe more eco-friendly, especially water saving. In your case, water is as precious as gold. In my case, I'm loving my new "future" master suite as soon as I can take a bath in the clawfoot tub. And hang my clothes in the new walk in closet. My future mini project is to add a window seat and tall cabs either side of it, in the dining room. LOTS of places to put kitchen stuff then, and file drawers under the seat too. This will make the dining room more functional. After that gets done, I think we'll be looking at a kitchen redo. Then the garage redo. Might contract for both of those jobs at one time, with the contractor who is doing such a good job on our tub/closet bumpout now. My DH trusts his work from all the pictures I've sent him as work progresses.
    ...See More

Is there a rose that you wish you had more of?

Q

Comments (43)
    Kristine, I have Out of Rosenheim also and it is very healthy and blooms well, but I'm not loving it's shade of red yet...Gonna give it some more time and see what I think. Va Joh, I was just browsing through the forum today and when I saw your mystery rose I immediately thought of my Crimson Bouquet! It is slightly fragrant, but not a very smelly rose by any means. Beautiful disease resistant leaves and easy to care for. The stems can have a darker reddish/purple color that match up and helped me recognize it too. Both of our pictures of the buds look identical. I've had mine in the garden since 2010, and it has always done very well and even landed on the head table at one of the rose shows a few years back. Glad I could help!
    ...See More

what do you wish you had done differently in your custom build?

Q

Comments (11)
    I would have used a different builder. The majority of our issues are because we were locked into the builder we used. I would have made my living room 2-3" narrower and my hallway 2-3" wider like they were supposed to do. By the time I realized it, the framing was already up so instead of my hallway being 42" wide it's only 39" wide. (builder and draftsman issue) I would have put the washer/dryer at the end of the hallway and the linen closet and broom closet where the washer/dryer is. (That is where I originally had it but got talked out of it because people suggested I'd hear the noise when sleeping, except I never run the machines when sleeping!) Instead of french doors upstairs onto the balcony, i would have used a single glass door with a wide sidelight instead. (My reasoning now after it's in is that it would be safer in terms of hurricanes) I would have put the prep sink where the trash pull out is and the trash pull out where the prep sink is so the trash is right next to where I prep. (If I had done that, it would be right next to me when I prep. Small problem though) Considering the 100's of decisions needed to be made, I think we did great with only having these few issues. There is nothing I didn't do that I regret not doing. I love, love, love my house and it works so well for us. We love the easy indoor/outdoor access and how easy it is to do just about anything. When a house lives well, you really don't notice it. It's only when a house lives poorly that you notice things.
    ...See More
  • roseseek
    12 years ago

Lavender_Lass, that's a great term, "lovely annuals"! Thanks! A perfect illustration of climatic suitability. For a number of years, the RNRS, Royal National Rose Society of Britain, listed Whisky Mac as the highest selling HT each year. The explanation was most who bought it had to replace it every year because it froze out. Ironic that a German bred HT would freeze to death in Britain every year, isn't it? It was so cherished for its color and scent, people planted it as an annual. Very much like cold requiring perennials are here. Kim

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I meant to post "Roses that you wish you had NOT bought FOR YOUR CLIMATE vs. roses that you truly enjoy" I got distracted by my daughter so I forgot to include "FOR YOUR CLIMATE".

Thank you, Roseek for the info. about growing roses in Southern California. My sister there envies us Midwest folks for having tons of rain. I wish that someone had written such wise info. for the Midwest when I wasted money on 15 hybrid teas and they all died through the winter.

Commercial stores sell crap even when it's not best for the gardeners. I witnessed my neighbor, a frail old lady, looking up at her monstrous thorny climber (with rugosa leaves) and said, "I wish I had not planted that in the first place, it's collapsing my trellis." If that thing falls down, it will either mangle someone, or make a bloody mess. I would rather chop down a tree, than tackle that monster.

I hope that this thread will save gardeners across the country from wasting their time on roses that don't do best in their climate, or not worth the water and the space. We don't have to like every single rose in the book, only a few that pay us back for the time and money we spent.

• mebroske
    12 years ago

And it is not always just climate. Situations change. I had Mermaid when I had room for it. Now the kids are grown and have their own houses. I have only an apartment patio with morning sun and eastern exposure, so I have Gruss an Aachen, which is container size and tolerates shade. At the house I could have the climbing version of Cecile Brunner. Now I have the shub version of the same rose in a container, along with Dame de Couer.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Roseseek- Thanks :)

I've started buying all my perennials and roses,so they're cold hardy in zones 3 and 4. I'm still surprised my butterfly bushes come up each year, but they die back and shoot up, again. I love purple, so I'm always glad to see them...and they're so pretty with the coneflowers.

Last winter, even though it was cold, my Bleu Magenta rose came back beautifully (in a sheltered corner, by the porch) and it's even turning purple, it's first, full year :)

• roseseek
    12 years ago

You're welcome Lavender_Lass. Butterfly Bush is popular here, too, but we have to cut it to the ground to rejuvenate it annually so it doesn't become too woody and unproductive. It's more naturally suited to your climate because it is supposed to freeze to the ground every year to keep the plant juvenile. I've had them get woody and old here and actually be attacked by termites, though they used to self seed every year in my horse manure mulch.

I LOVE classic tulips. Species are OK, but the large flowered ones are "exotic" here because they have to either be dug and stored or replanted fresh every year. The soil and climate are just wrong for them. I marvel at large expanses of Hosta. They're gorgeous! Here, the few which can be coaxed have to be constantly baited for snails because just a few will turn them into yuck over night. Even if coaxed, they're very short lived.

I'll bet you can grow Peonies there. I adore them! I used to love seeing them at my grandparents' in Pennsylvania. There are three or four, small flowered, unscented ones we can grow for short periods here. They just aren't Peonies to me. I want those lush, huge clumps full of the huge, fragrant blooms. Not for here, unfortunately.

Yes, ma'am, obtaining the proper plants for the proper climate is 99% of the battle. From there, it's all down hill. Kim

• amberroses
    12 years ago

The ones that died..RIP

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Strawberryhill, I love your post, you put everything so succintly, lol!

And, Jackie, your post is great, you are so right about regions; my zeffy does great here and is one of my most cherished roses, but so many just won't make it here, I have to be careful in what I plant.

• carolinamary
    12 years ago

I'm not being fair here, so don't pay too much attention at this point...

To be fair, I'd have to try this rose in a decently sunny spot. The rose, Marie Daley, isn't in much more sun than the spot where Little White Pet did so horribly last year with scant blooming and lots of blackspot, so much so that I almost tossed that rose entirely then. But just to be fair before tossing it, this year we moved the Little White Pet to where it gets pretty good sun. Now it's doing splendidly and is perfectly healthy and producing lots of blooms all at one time, even in spite of an unusually long and hot heat wave this year. I am thinking of buying more of that rose now.

Marie Daley, to her credit, isn't nearly as prone to blackspot in this spot (in a pot) as Little White Pet was, so that part would probably be alright if we were to go ahead and get it in the ground in the sunnier spot where we'd planned. But when it does bloom in the pot (seldom), the blooms are scanty and very unimpressive. They don't even have any scent to my nose. It might have more scent in the fall, of course, and to be fair, a cultivar from Antique Rose Emporium that we had to toss with RRD last year did have some scent in the springtime.

Unimpressive individual blooms do impress when they are crowded on the rose, of course, so I'm not entirely decided how I'd feel if we do get it into the ground in our sunnier area. But that area is so preciously limited I'm leaning toward getting another rose entirely for the spot.

I placed an order with Vintage in the spring but their (noticeably different) cultivar of Marie Pavie wasn't available then. If I'd been able to get that one, I probably would have liked it better.

I'd be interested in what others think of their Marie Daleys.

Best wishes,
    Mary

• roseblush1
    12 years ago

The rose that has been my greatest disappointment is 'Out of Yesteryear'. Yes, it produces beautiful blooms, but they age horribly and the plant has never even come close to my expectations even tho' it has been in the ground for four years.

To be fair, I feel like a novice rosarian because I started my rose life in southern California in a very rose friendly climate. My new garden is located in the mountains of northern California and is very much of a challenge when it comes to growing roses.

One of the big lessons of this garden is that it takes three to four years for a rose to come into its own, so patience is required. However, with OOY, if I had a rose ready to replace it, that rose would be GONE. It has never performed well up here and I have serious doubts as to whether or not I have enough patience to give it more time.

It is going to take a lot of hard labor to dig it out and replace the rose, but I am ready !

Smiles,
    Lyn

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

That's a toss up. Do I pick the Cl. Peace that only gave me one bloom (as in one single flower) in 6 years? Or the 6 Camelots I've bought that have never turned out to BE Camelot? Then there is the Snowfire that, while it blooms regularly, cannot keep a leave on it's self for love nor money! And is thorny than all get out to boot!

• sherryocala
    12 years ago

I hate to put a Tea rose in this category, but I definitely wish I hadn't bought Niles Cochet. I don't understand what causes a particular piece of vegetation to be a dud that won't grow. It's not the cultivar because I've seen photos of it flourishing. I've seen one poor excuse for a flower on it in 3 years, and its 2 or 3 canes are bare and unchanging - yet undying, while the plants around it are fine. I just don't get it. It'll take about 30 seconds to get rid of it. I've made the decision.

Sadly, I have another one - Mme Joseph Bonnaire. I've seen others' photos of blooming first-year bushes but not mine. I think I'm going to cry.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• carolinamary
    12 years ago

I meant to say Marie Pavie, not Marie Daley, for the one I've wished I hadn't bought. Senior moment.

We don't currently have any Marie Daleys, though we did have some Marie Daleys briefly (prior to RRD sweeping through the pot ghetto area of the yard last year).

Marie Pavie isn't a bad rose. I just wouldn't order it if I had it to do over.

Best wishes,
    Mary

• jerijen
    12 years ago

To be entirely honest, there are NO roses I wish I hadn't bought. And that includes the Gallicas and Mosses, and the Bourbons that I bought, and cherished, in the face of good advice telling me that they would not flourish here.

They didn't. And they're gone.
    But I learned a lot in the process, so I don't count it a loss at all.

No regrets.

Jeri

• gardennatlanta
    12 years ago

Strawberry Hill,

I've been thinking about your question and initially started to write about roses that are no longer in my garden.

BUT, I don't wish I had never purchased them. They were interesting experiments that failed in my garden. Some, like Ducher and Marie Pavie I really, really tried to like but they seem to be happy in their new home so I can't say I wish I had not purchased them.

Others like Madame Pierre Oger and Fair Bianca, were complete disasters that needed to be removed because they were declining from existence. But again, I'm glad I tried and I did enjoy the brief view of the blooms (all 3 of them from MPO) and their fragrance--even though I don't like the myrrh fragrance of FB.

There was a time when I was a bit paralyzed by fear of planting something that wouldn't be fantastic in my garden. Now, I hold my plants much more loosely. I feel good finding new homes for roses that don't suit me and feel good about the experience I gain from trying new ones. I know that not every rose does well in every climate and some seem to do well (or poorly) in gardens just a few miles from me.

I've come to the conclusion that the only way I'll ever know if a rose will do well for me is for me to try it in my own garden. I don't think I'll ever regret trying a new rose no matter how poorly it does for me.

Just my opinion. Jeff

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

The ones that died..RIP

That's a good one!

I have 'Marie Daly'. It has flowers like little limp pink rags and foliage that is perfectly clean and green all year long. It looks nice...from a distance!

• lucretia1
    12 years ago

Out of the Night--wads of brown toilet paper for blooms.

Jeri Jennings--beautiful flowers, horrible plant. Advertised as "disease free", but WORST in my garden for blackspot. Especially bad since it took up a prime location for a few years.

I've had other roses that didn't work out, but those 2 should never have darkened the proverbial door of my garden.

• ptboise
    12 years ago

I would like to second several selections - particularly Sally Holmes. I'll keep the one on the E side of the house with only 5 hours of morning sun. The SH on the W side will be SP'd in the near future. In his high desert blazing sun, the blooms look lovely for about 15 minutes. Then quickly turn to "Ewww". Roseseek - my Ballerinas do great, but I couldn't agree more on Margo Koster. Bleh. To be SP'd in the near future.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

I'm not surprised your Ballerinas are great, ptboise. You have the right climate for it. Your winters are colder; summers not as intense (though I'm sure hot for you) nor as long. You also probably have less alkaline conditions than we do here in the desert with the Colorado River Water and the added alkalinity to prevent our ancient water system from completely deteriorating over night. A perfect case of climatic suitability. I'd be New Dawn is also pretty good for you. Location, location, location. Choose the right rose for the right place and you have the gardening world by the tail. Try to grow penguins in the desert and you can imagine what that entails. Kim

• User
    12 years ago

Sometimes...ALL of them. :-)

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Ain't that the danged truth? LOL! Like kids, spouses and dogs/cats, sometimes you just want to not have to deal with their issues. Kim

• roseseek
    12 years ago

The "good" bad ones do the honorable thing and die. Unfortunately, more often, the bad ones aren't honorable. Kim

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

It's interesting and says a lot about locations that some roses that I love and do well for me are dogs for other people. Margo Koster is a beauty, I think.

Kim, you are oh so right! Dearest Brother wouldn't hear of shovel pruning that Cl. Peace for years, "But it's still green and growing" and "It survived the winter how can you dig it out!" I even TRIED to kill it! Gave it no water or fertilizer at all and zero winter protection. And the darn thing didn't have the sense to croak! Finally this spring he let me dig it up and replace it with Candy Land (which is on it's third bloom cycle, thank you very much!). I took all 6 bloomless canes and 8 feet length of it and cut it up into 6 inch pieces and threw it in the trash! Yippee!

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Seil, that could easily have been unsuited for site or climate as well as an inferior sport. The climber of Peace is a mutation of the original bush. If you read the older ARS annuals, the frequently spoke of climbing sports of HTs and how the one from one source was a superior performer over those from another. In those days, it was more common for competing nurseries to have different mutations as more than one discovered the mutation on their plants. Some would flower reliably on more controlled growth, while others would grow rampantly with little flowering. Some repeated better than others.

When Cl. Iceberg was initially introduced, there were varying "forms" of it until the best repeating one became standardized from all the sources. It IS possible, your Cl Peace was such an inferior sport. Most likely, though, it just wasn't right for where it was or for your weather. Kim

• ptboise
    12 years ago

Roseseek - you are right about New Dawn (at least one of it's decedents - Sea Foam). One thing I've been thrilled with this year are the hybrid rugosas. Mercy, but the spring plantings have done well. Hansa, Purple Pavement, etc. Why the heck didn't I try these before instead of falling for the allure of every pretty face in the catalogs?

• roseseek
    12 years ago

For the same reason we here in the land of endless summer fall for the pretty faces of the rugosas and New Dawn. They are different from what you see in every yard and they ARE beautiful, just not for where "I" am. Kim

• sherryocala
    12 years ago

I have to add a footnote to my dissing of Niles Cochet. Two rose friends were here today, and offhandedly as they were leaving one said, "Your Niles just doesn't act like mine." Then the light dawned. Maybe I have a mislabeled rose. So in good conscience I can take it out. I'm sure it's not a Tea by any name, much less Niles Cochet.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• melissa_thefarm
    12 years ago

I'm rather like Jeri and Jeff: I don't have a lot of roses I regret having bought (or gotten). I have a very good rose climate, and have the comfortable conviction, when a rose does badly for me, that it's just in the wrong place in the garden--of course, some times it stays where it is just the same. Roses get laid low by cane girdler or bad weather, but I continue hopeful, and I'm glad for what I learned from my plants. There are a few exceptions to my general benevolence, listed here.
    'Duc de Cambridge', once-blooming old rose, suffers terribly from flower proliferation and is extremely vigorous and impossible to eliminate once you decide you really don't want it. Good blooms are nice, but they're not worth the misery.
    'Perle des Jardins', Tea, was vigorous and unkillable, got every fungal disease under the sun, and never had a decent bloom. A wretched variety. I hear it actually does well in some places.
    'Arthur de Sansal', Hybrid Perpetual or Portland. I have a grudge against this rose, one of the few that just up and died on me when I was living and gardening in Washington state. It might be fine in different conditions; I don't know. My impression is that it requires coddling.
    There are plenty of roses I don't care for, but I've generally managed to avoid acquiring them. As a rule I don't like scentless roses, varieties with hard bright colors, and varieties grown mainly for color, whose flowers lack character and whose growth lack grace. I don't like varieties in which the plant is just a support system for the blooms. I think a lot of modern foliage is awfully boring. I also try to avoid roses that are disease prone in my conditions or are weak in general and require a lot of fussing over.
    Melissa

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Kim, you're probably right, wrong rose/wrong spot. The president of my rose society has a Cl. Peace and he raves about his all the time (and thoroughly enjoys rubbing it in, lol). I'm just happy to be rid of mine and I'm enjoying my lovely Candy Land instead.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

That is all that matters, Seil! LOL! Congratulations. Kim

• luxrosa
    12 years ago

I arrived at noon to a rose sale and the roses I'd planned to buy had all been sold.
    so with a fistful of dollars needing to be spent on roses, I bought two roses I'd never consider buying because I'd never seen them in bloom, nor researched their disease resistance.
    I bought two of the last roses on the for sale table:

"Mystery #2" a disease ridden pink H.P. It is, in my garden, so thickly covered with p.m., b.s. and rust that the color of its' foliage is unknowable. I keep wanting to destroy it, but its' a Mystery Rose and so I'll try and find a taker for it who lives in a drier micro-climate.

"Cemetery Musk" the plainest rose I'd ever seen. a five petaled rose can be charming but I see none in this rose and I am sorry to say that about any rose.
    Lux.

P.S.

To be sung with a country western twang:

The wrong Rose for me.

Rose lust has brought me to desperation
    which perhaps, may be an exaggeration.
    But I wish I'd never taken that darn rose home with me.
    Like a one-night stand that left behind,
    a trail of misery.

Now instead of embracing a rose of great beauty
    I have an abundance of rust, blackspot
    and mildew that's powdery.
    I wish I'd never brought that darn Rose home with me.

If only I had resisted temptation,
    I might have a rose worthy of a celebration.
    ------

I intend to never again buy a rose I've not seen in person, but I can't seem to resist sometimes.

L.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

You can't resist, Lux, 'cause you're NORMAL. Very few of us, particularly when presented with rare, old and unusual roses, can just say, "NO". I wonder if you're Pink Mystery #2 could be Paul Neyron? It SURE sounds like it! LOL!

I think you might have a niche hit with your song. Can you mis play a git tar? hehehe Kim

• sabalmatt_tejas
    12 years ago

For me it was 'reine des voilettes'. 'reine' has been the following for me despite pampering: once a year bloomer, very slow grower, does not like the heat and quite chlorotic. I've never SP'd a rose, but this one is taking up a prime spot and will be gone soon.

• gothiclibrarian
    12 years ago

Mme. Plantier. I knew she'd get "big" but I had no idea she'd end up bigger than my car.

But she's beautiful. And at my old house, mua ha ha.

~Anika (gothiclibrarian)

Here is a link that might be useful: Gothiclibrarian.net

• luxrosa
    12 years ago

I wish I had gone with my original plan to plant two Ca
    "Lamarque" on an arbor on the entry path to my front door.
    I was in a hurry though and didn't want to wait a few years for it to grow so I bought 2 "Blossomtime" on rootstock because it would grow faster, I thought and I wanted an arbor full of roses within 3 years.
    -Blossomtime is an early hybrid not far from Safrano and R. wich. and it was said to be d.r. to p.m.. It appears dusted with p.m. in my garden 4 weeks out of 10 in summer.

I shoulda stuck to my first impulse and bought a couple of Ca "Lamarque"s

Lux.

P.S. to Kim, nope I can't play the gee-tar.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love that western song of yours, luxrosa. It's pathetic, hilarious, and poetic at the same time. Thanks for a good laugh.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

This year, Malvern Hills. It was actually a gift to my client from a co worker, but it was my job to place and maintain it. It's been in place for about five years now and is ginormous. Bud union about the size of my knee. Wrist thick canes to about three feet then thinner wood from there to about twelve feet into the neighbor's White Birch, an awful tree choice for the SW desert, but what can you do.

It throws a few flowers down where you can actually see them for the half hour before they fry. The huge climbing canes produce those amazing sprays of buttery buds which quickly fade to off white. Perhaps there's fragrance, I don't know as I've never been able to catch it before it's gone.

This one needs a huge space where it can throw itself with wild abandon all over, not in an average sized bedroom community north of Los Angeles with five foot block walls surrounding the rear yard. It has to go! The only great part is the sandy soil which will make it easier to rip from its footings, though it probably will take both its owner's and the neighbor's gardening barrels to send it to the landfill.

I must say it has been totally healthy all the time it's been there and has endured the reflected/radiated heat from the wall admirably. There is just SO much plant for SO little bloom and is the whale in the swimming pool. It HAS to join Mme. Alfred Carriere in the great beyond as just not suitable for the spaces available. Kim

• peachiekean
    12 years ago

I'm disappointed in Marie Daley. It has wimpy little blooms that don't open. I've moved it but next year if it does not change for the better, it's outta here. I think I'll not be buying roses anymore. I may try more cuttings which I have had better luck with.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, peachiekean, for resurrecting the thread. I look over each post, and found regrets on: Jeri Jennings, Marie Pavie, Marie Daley, Madame Plantier & New Dawn (too big), Zephirine Drouhin, Margo Koster, the Fairy, and Blossomtime (rust).

I ordered Annie Laurie McDowell with Burlington Nursery yesterday. It's hardy to zone 6b, I'll try it right against my house in zone 5a. It would be a test for its hardiness. Annie's foliage looks prettier than Zephie. I hope that Annie would give a few continuous blooms for cut flower, versus a giant mass on Zephie in the spring, and nothing afterwards.

Someone mentioned on HMF about a few Annie's blossom would perfume the room. It sounds better than Zephie's blooms with the report of its fragrance gone once cut.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Thanks Strawberryhill! I can't vouch for how she'll bloom there, but in these parts, there are flowers on her twelve months of the year. No joke! It will be quite interesting hearing what your climate motivates her to do. Kim

• jacqueline9CA
    12 years ago

Re Margo Koster. I have an ancient Margo Koster - from where it is growing (underneath a huge (9 ft x 10 ft x 10 ft) barberry bush next to the driveway, it was planted in the 1930s. I have dug it up and moved it 3 (three) times. Each time it was successfully transplanted, but then came up again in its original location.

The original one keeps sporting to a rose with dark raspberry flowers. I planted one of my original transplants and one of the dark raspberry sports next to each other in a new polyantha bed in the front garden last summer. Interestingly, the sport opens its flowers more readily, and is growing better than the original, and I like the color better. So, MK is not my favorite rose, but I am keeping it because it is a family heirloom, obviously has an intense desire to live, and keeps sporting to its lovelier sibling.

Jackie

• notrafficinga
    12 years ago

I have no roses that I regret acquiring, but I do have roses that I regret putting where I did. Everything seems to grow larger than expected here, and it took me some time to learn that. I now have monster roses that really need to be relocated. Crepuscule finally got a haircut of about half her growth in January. I hope she doesn't get too pissy with me. She loves her location just a bit too much. Alberic Barbier has canes that end up about 15 feet beyond the plant on the ground UNDER THE FALLEN OAK LEAVES. Ouch !!! I do a fair amount of barefoot gardening. And finally, Silver Moon (aka The Kraken) is going to smother Ghislaine de Feligonde (not exactly a small rose herself). I just had to trim Ghislaine from a pathway. These monsters need to be shuffled around and I am not looking forward to it. The Kraken is staying put - I am not dealing with those fish hooks. It almost ate me when I tried to "scratch in" some fertilizer. Wow, she gets thrown some 10-10-10 from now on.

It's funny, though. These are all great roses and have won their places in my garden. I just didn't leave them near enough room and now I have to try to move giant briar patches. Gardening is definitely about location.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, notrafficinga, for reminding us about how big they can get. Normally I don't need to trim roses since they die back to the crown in my zone 5a. But this is our mildest winter in over a decade, all my Knock-outs are green to the tip. Yes, I regret buying them, since their nasty thorns show through without leaves.

I killed one Knock-out today - it took me 20 minutes, since I chopped it to tibits in case the branches poke the garbage man. My kid was so happy she was jumping up and down with joy. No more worry about being poked as we walk out of the front door.

• kittymoonbeam
    12 years ago

All the lovely albas, damasks and centifolias that I only learned from people here would never bloom where I live. Just a heartbreak to give them away to someone in a colder climate. I spent so much time raising them from bands and worring about what I wasn't doing right when they grew so well and were amazingly beautiful plants. No one selling them will even write in the catalog, these will never bloom in a warm setting. I thought it was unfair when I was just starting out that no book on old roses or no catalog said that. I have a wonderful Charles Lawson that will only bloom sometimes if the winter is cold. It's like my dear plum tree giving a gift of paradise if the weather permits. Every year I think, I should give that big rose away and the only thing I ever do is dig up new starts from around the edges and give them away hoping they will bring joy. Most people are willing to take one because of the smooth canes.

I wish I never bought the mail order roses that gave my garden blackspot. By the time I learned what it was...Too Late. This is my biggest regret.

• rinaldo
    12 years ago

an own-root roxburghii that I have tried to eliminate many, many times, but whose suckers continue to reappear like weeds

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

A Perle des Jardins, beautiful bush covered with blooms that balled up something horrible, finally got the nerve to sp, and never looked back!

• User
    12 years ago

Almost every single "collectible" Hybrid Tea/Floribunda from the first half of the 20th century. I say almost because I have one hanger-on from this group: 'Sutter's Gold', which I persist in cultivating in spite of its dreadful flaws (of which there are many). Why? For the luscious color the first day it opens, and the swoon-inducing fragrance that comes with it.

• iowa_jade
    12 years ago

On a variation of the wrong spot method, when I 1st purchased 'Out of Yesteryear' I grew it on our deck where it got its' brains baked out on a daily basis. Just wonderful!
    Since I have planted it in the ground with some shade it has been an under preformer to put it mildly.
    Back it goes into a pot and on the deck. If it does not amuse; off with its' head!

F.L.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH