SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tristansgarden

what do you wish you had done differently in your custom build?

Tristan
4 years ago

My husband and I are getting ready to build a house. I know when my mom built her own home, after living in it for a while, she wished she had done things differently. she often says she would have nixed any room that wasn't used nearly every day (formal sitting room and library come to mind) and she wishes she had put in more bathrooms, and made the bathrooms en-suite, as she wound up an air bnb host in her retirement.

We recently upgraded from a one story home to a two story, and even though we didn't build our current home, there are things about it I would change, things we never considered. Like adding a laundry room on each floor, or at least a chute, so we aren't lugging heavy laundry baskets up and down the stairs every day. Or zoning the AC system so the two floors aren't always such wildly different temperatures (comfortable downstairs and hot upstairs, or comfortable upstairs and freezing downstairs.) or making sure the master bedroom isn't directly over the laundry room!

What do you regret doing? What do you regret not doing? What would you change if you could?

Comments (11)