SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aquaeyes_gw

Danger on the horizon...

AquaEyes 7a NJ
9 years ago

I decided to change things up a bit and take different routes while walking to work this Summer. I live in, well, let's just say a "not very affluent" area, being a college-town populated by renting students and low-income families in houses packed closely together, front yards being tiny and often barely tended. And this has become a dangerous situation for me -- because as I passed these untended tiny patches between houses and sidewalk, I saw several roses with clear signs of RRD.

And I don't mean the "possibly herbicide damage" signs. I mean unbalanced, twisting, multi-forking, fat new growth with excessive red prickles (even red prickles coming out of leaves) on some parts of well-established roses -- while other parts of the same plants appeared normal.

Thus far, I haven't found any on my street -- interestingly, very few houses on my street actually have even one rose -- but I wonder if it's just a matter of time before one of those infected mites gets blown into my yard. I check my garden every morning with my first coffee of the day, so I'm pretty sure I can catch it early if it ever appears. But even still, it struck a blow.

I moved to this town two years ago not because it's a "wonderful place to live." I came here because I wanted to go to grad school here, but I couldn't live in ugliness -- so I set out to bring some beauty into my little pocket. Building this garden has been enjoyable, and I am looking forward to next year's "leap", but seeing the RRD along my mile-long walk to work left me with a sinking feeling, as though the ugliness of apathetic "other residents" is fighting its way back to reclaim my yard.

It made me remember talks with my landlord about what I wanted to do to improve the lawn here. He said "the thing about lawns is that they're a never-ending battle if your neighbor doesn't care about his lawn -- and his weeds keep sending seeds over the fence." Seeing the RRD was like an echo of that sentiment -- and has me longing for the day when I live on enough acres that neighbors no longer matter.

I'm not giving up! I'll do what I can to maintain a little bit of beauty here, if only for my own sanity and enjoyment, for as long as I'll live in this house. This post is merely me venting a bit -- sort of like shouting into a pillow.

:-/

~Christopher

Comments (35)