SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olga_6b

How to make your roses look right.

olga_6b
16 years ago

I have to share this with you.

This early morning before work I was watering my front yard garden. The bed that is closest to the road looks really good now (if you don't look too close) inspite of JBs. We have less then usual crop of JBs here this year.

I have 6x6 feet bush of WS200 closest to the road, then Louse Clements , similar size bush and then big bush of Arethusa. On the other side of driveway there is a 8x8 bush of Abraham Darby. I also have plenty of different perennials blooming, so was really proud of my garden. The old lady came by and start talking to me. She said: "I know you should feel sad. I see, you spend so much time with your roses but they still look bad, fat plants with shapless flowers, you can't even see canes because of all these leaves and branches. I can give you advice on how to make your roses look beautiful. You have to cut them down in fall, just leave two or three short straight canes, they will look slim and right and flowers will shape themselves. Your bloomes will gain shape. You will have roses that look like roses, elegant, not the shapless mess you have now."

And I thought my WS200 or AD quartered big blooms look so good. I didn't know what to say. She was honest with her advice, nothing mean about her.

Olga

Comments (76)