SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
casa_amore

Advice Needed - Ornamental Tree for Front Yard (zone 5)

casa_amore
14 years ago

Long time reader, but first time posting!

I could use some advice on selecting an ornamental tree for my front yard. I have consulted several landscaper/nurseries and researched on gardenweb.

One of my goals this year is to move a 2-year red maple (it really has green leaves but everyone is calling it a red maple) from the middle of the front yard and replace it with something flowering/ornamental.

My dh doesn't understand why I would want spend money to move a perfectly good tree to the back yard. However, I have my heart set on something prettier, different than what many of the neighbors have, and the maple will eventually grow to be towering over the house. I have wanted to do this ever since we moved into the house two years ago, and since the tree is still fairly new in the ground, I must do it this year. I'll wait to have the tree moved after the leaves drop in October so it has a better chance to survive in the back yard.

We have a two story colonial (front door in the center) that is 19' to the eaves and 24' to the roof top. Our house is light grey with black shutters. The maple was planted to the left of the center of the house (if you are facing the house). It's about 20' from the house, so there is plenty of room for a wider tree. The new tree will be planted in the same spot.

I'm selling dh on the point that the new tree will have curb appeal and wow factor, especially when it's in bloom. But since he is not 100% sold on the idea I need to select a tree carefully, which is why I wanted some objective advice. We have plenty of nurseries that have different trees around here. I do need to purchase from a nursery/landscaper rather than online because I'll need someone to transplant the maple, and plant the new tree for me.

The landscapers and/or nurseries all have made suggestions. But when I researched the options on gardenweb and google I'm finding that a lot of the options mentioned are trees that are suseptible to insects or disease.

The house faces east and I'm in zone 5. The front yard is an open space now (this maple is the only tree in our yard, except for a weeping cherry that is along the foundation of the house). My neighbor to the South has a 2-3 year old Crimson King (?) maple (the purple/red-leafed kind) growing nearby, so when that tree ultimately matures there will be more shade in the front yard (from the South).

Here's my wish list -- but I realize that all trees won't have everything:

- A small tree (18-25 feet tall at full maturity)

- One that flowers after the weeping cherry that we also have in the front yard

- Long bloom time of 3-4 weeks would be great

- One that will flower next year and every year (as opposed to the yellowwood which takes years to establish and doesn't bloom every year)

- Pink or White/Cream Flowers (no yellow)

- Leaves a nice green - no purple/red or red/purple-tinged leaves

- A "clean" tree (no/low maintenance on cleaning up flowers/fruit/leaves that fall to the ground)

- Nice bark or winter interest would be nice (or berries for 3 season interest)

- Not crazy about yellow fall foliage with our house color

- Hardy tree that will last 40+ years

- Not a lot of pruning/maintenance would make my dh happy!

Here are some of the suggestions that sounded like good options -- I've already tossed out the Pear and Hawthorn suggestions as well as some other trees that seemed fragile or higher maintenance.

Cornus Kousa - very long bloom time, but is there a species that is more disease/insect resistant?

Japanese Stewartia - summer bloom, great fall color, nice bark

Kwanzan Cherry - only 25 year life, my concern is disease and the borer insects

Japanese Lilac Tree - blooms in July, not known for fall color

Amelanchier Arborea Serviceberry - in tree form

I'm hoping for people who already have these trees (or other suggestions) to tell me if my worries about disease or insects killing the tree is a valid concern. Or is there something that you can do to treat trees each year, so you don't have problems with borers or disease?

Thanks so much in advance,

Diane

Comments (12)