SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

It Only Took 11 Years

jerijen
10 years ago

Austin's 'The Dark Lady' was Int. in 1991.

We got it, I think, in 1992 -- via Heirloom (OR) who had a strong agreement with David Austin. At that time, we were very "in to" Austins. We liked 'Prospero,' which was a parent of 'The Dark Lady,' and loved the bloom.

We bought and planted 2 own-root plants. They never grew well, tho they did bloom well ... they never got much over 12 inches. In their third spring, they burst out in a glorious blaze of the most colorful and widespread RMV we had ever seen.

At the suggestion of a friend, we advised Heirloom of the virus, because they were so adamant that their roses were virus-free. John Clement did call me -- and basically accused me of being the village idiot, and not knowing what virus looked like. He said that he would not believe it unless it was tested.

At his request, I sent him foliage from each plant. I think he DID have the parent plant tested, because he eventually called and left a huffy phone message, telling me that his plant was, indeed, virused. (But they went right on offering it.)

When we dug up the plants, we discovered that both were completely riddled with root gall. I suspect the stress of that infection was WHY the virus suddenly manifested itself. We were very glad that our pair were planted in 15-G pots in the ground, so they didn't get out into the general soil of the garden.

After that, we tried another plant -- a budded STAR nursery plant which turned out to be something orange, that rusted badly.

3 years or so ago, a friend sent us cuttings from his vigorous budded plant, and now, at last we REALLY do have 'The Dark Lady' in our garden.

She is only about 18-ins. tall, but I think she may be taller, in time. (On her own roots, I doubt she will EVER make 4-ft.!) but she is an asset, and blooming her head off, and I am overjoyed.

Jeri

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert