SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krm27_gw

How to add SWALE during "lasagna" conversion of lawn to plants?

krm27
9 years ago

This may be a landscaping rather than soil question, but I think it fits here, too.

Background: I'm in one of the hottest parts of Los Angeles (West Hills), and I'm about to change my front & back lawns into native drought-tolerant plants using the "soil lasagna" method.

The LA County landscaping guide for drought-tolerant gardens suggests having a "swale" in the yard -- a depression or low area where rain water will collect and then add native plants to that area that do well in that sort of environment. Note, this seemed counter-intuitive to me, the opposite of good drainage, but I guess it makes sense in a desert climate to not waste water, and the swale will not be against the house. So long as their is good drainage away from any structure, I suppose this is not a a problem. So my wife and I have a design that incorporates a swale.

QUESTION: I'm frankly confused how to go about making a swale in the course of doing the "soil lasagna" technique of converting my lawn. I mean, this technique adds about 6 inches of layers to my flat lawn all over, but for some tapering towards the edges. So how in the world do I create a lower area?

The only solution I can think of is to dig up my lawn in the area where we want the swale and try to create an approximation of the swale size/depth that we want. Then when I add my lasagna layers over everything, the swale will be there (but about 6 inches higher).

I'm concerned about this for a few reasons.

First, I'll be forfeiting the simplicity of the soil lasagna technique, which allowed me to simply put layers over my lawn without removing it. If I have to remove a big section of my lawn for the swale, I lose that simplicity.

Second, I have not heard of adding lasagna layers to a dug out hole. Can I just add compose then mulch to the exposed soil, or do I actually need the green grass or some other similar material between the soil and the compost layer?

Third, I'm worried if I'm digging this swale into the yard, I'll hit irrigation lines or something.

So I wonder if there's a better approach, like doing the flat soil lasagna over the whole lawn and THEN digging out / shaping a swale? Or even waiting a 6 months till the lasagna technique has helped to amend all the soil before digging out my swale? Or perhaps I could create enough of a depression/swale simply by adding thinner "lasagna" layers over the swale area and thicker layers around it? (I don't think a swale has to be very deep, a few inches difference might suffice.)

Basically, if anyone's added a swale while converting lawn via the lasagna technique, I'd love to hear how you did it. Or hear anyone else's opinion / advice on this topic.

Thanks,

Ken

Comments (6)