SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trinigemini

Swale Battle continues

trinigemini
15 years ago

You guys may remember I posted a few days ago about getting a citation for having heliconias on my swale. The citation was for view obstruction. The reason we got the citation though was because my neighbor complained because he could no longer park his five cars there. Anyway to make a long story as short as possible hubby and I removed the heliconias and planted low growing native plants in the swale. Now technically nothing is supposed to be planted in the swale. Of course you would not know that looking around my neighborhood. Everyone's swale here is either landscaped or they use it as a parking lot and it looks horrible. We are the only ones who received a citation even though many of our neighbors have swales that are full of very bushy view blocking plants. We expect to get another citation because the neighbor still can't park his cars on our swale.

I AM WAITING FOR IT AND I WILL NOT REMOVE MY PLANTS I WILL GO TO COURT. I have already contacted senators, representative and my county commissioners as well as a few people in DERM and a few other people who I thought could help.

I've explained to them how ridiculous it is for the county to be able to fine me for having a poorly kept swale ($250), and at the same time allow people to park on my swale. When the guy was parking there all my grass was dead and it looked horrible. I couldn't take it any longer. I also thought it was dumb to not allow people to landscape their swales...until I read up on swales and saw that they are there to help prevent flooding. Of course parked cars make the swales useless because they compact the dirt and prevent the water from absorbing. So I planted a few natives in a way to prevent cars from parking but I left enough grass for the swale to do it job. Keep in mind we do not live in an area that floods.

Well so far I have been contacted by four senators and a guy at DERM who agree with me. Property values do drop when the neighborhood looks like a parking lot with no plants. So it looks like I may be changing the law.

SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU MESS WITH AN UNEMPLOYED LAWYER!!!! I have nothing better to do than fight this battle. :-) It just really bugs me that some guy who is renting thinks its alright to turn the neighborhood into a parking lot.

I just thought you guys might enjoy my little ordeal....and the battle which it looks like I will win. And if any of you are going through the same problem....fight it...don't let stupid laws make your property values drop. I'm dying to go to court anyway. There is no way I could lose....I mean how could I be fined for something the whole neighborhood is doing (its an arbitrary law in the way its enforced and that's supposed to be illegal) ....I will not remove my natives unless parking is no longer allowed on my swale :-) I really hope I do have to go court. I will keep you guys informed.

Comments (46)