SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenhaven_gw

Rescue transplant update and question/problem

greenhaven
15 years ago

Earlier I posted a thread about rescuing three roses from a friend who was going to dig 'em up and throw them on the burn pile. They were a Scentimental, HT Touch of Class, and an unknown HT. The TOC was loaded with blackspot, and all three were buried in the grass and neglected.

After having my friend hyper-water them the day before and the morning of the transplant, I dug all three, retaining as much rootball as possible, and took them right home and put them promptly in the ground. I proceeded to give them lots and lots of slow-watering over the next several days, before it started raining on a regular basis. Then I watered them just as I watered my potted roses.

The TOC promptly dropped all it's foliage, and I was prepared for that, since it was so COVERED in BS. Well, about a week ago I started seeing new growth, and it was only a matter of days before the leaves were out and fully open. The growth is still small. The other two plants look fantastic, clean and well-foliated.

Well, the TOC new growth is very wilted this morning. I wouldn't even be posting this here normally, because I know most wilt is from under-watering. But we just got almost five inches of rain this week, 2.5 inches of it was just in the last 24-30 hours.

I got my hose misting right into the ground under the plant, and will run that for a few minutes to see if it makes a difference. (I don't want to OVER water with all that rain we just had.) But the roses are against an east wall, and I suppose it is possible they didn't catch the brunt of what fell from the skies.

I see no signs of insect or rodent presence; is there anything else I should be checking for?

Thanks! I hate to lose one now, just as it is looking so good.

Comments (3)