SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harryhansen

Help me rescue a Jaboticaba tree please!!

harryhansen
14 years ago

Hi, I acquired a very nice looking Jaboticaba tree, (well, it would be nice if it were healthy)

It's leaves are almost all dead and have fallen off, but it has started shooting out some new leaves.

The previous owner had it in a large pot (the tree is about 7 feet tall) and said it used to fruit a lot, but his wife got sick and he stopped watering it. Like I said, it was in a large pot, and must have only stayed alive from the rain.

I am afraid I don't really know what I am doing, and would be grateful for some advice.

I hope I have not done too much harm, by taking action before posting here.

Here's what I have done so far.

I brought it home, and dug a hole, took it out of it's pot and planted it. I have fairly decent soil but it retains a lot of water, so I have to be careful about not watering too much.

After planting it, I cut back most of the dead branches, but I left the ones that are shooting new leaves alone. I cut quite a bit off the tree, and I'm hoping I didn't harm it but stressing it out too much (first it was almost starved of water, then transplanted into the ground, and then a lot of it's branches were cut off!!

I also think I may have accidentally left a pocket of air right under the tree.. if I did, will this naturally compress? Will it cause a problem?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much

Harry

Comments (11)