SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sullicorbitt

Question about my marans death and new chicken update

sullicorbitt
16 years ago

I walked into the coop Thursday morning and my black copper marans was on the floor under the perch gone, she was so pretty and layed the most beautiful eggs. I saw her the night before and all was well. I couldn't find anything wrong when looking her over, no blood etc. She had a small bare area on her underside but a few of my chickens are feather picking so I don't think that's it. I lost my black marans pullet last fall, same thing just dead on the ground under a perch no sign or symptom of illness or injury. I am thinking heart attack?

Question: do you think this could be inherent of this strain of marans (both from the same breeder)? I only had 3 and two are now dead in less than a year of the same apparent reasons. In the past 2 + years I have had over 40 chickens and not lost any of them, these two Marans are the only ones I've lost which is why I am suspicious. The rest of my flock is very mixed, the marans were a bit high strung, not at all friendly but really beautiful and the egg color truly amazing.

My only comfort is I have two of her (pullets) babies 8 weeks old.

After discovering her body, I let the chickens out to the yard and right in front of me I saw a HUGE snake! !!!!!!!!!!!!! it scared the bejeebers out of me! I tried to scare it off but it wouldn't leave. The snake couldn't kill a chicken could it? Later in the afternoon my neighbor saved the day and took it away for me. It was the largest garter snake I've ever seen, at least 42 inches (we don't see many snakes around here and if we do they are small).

Lots of excitement that day.

-Sheila

ps. for my birthday my dh, picked me up some 4LF polish, 2 Americaunas, 1 RIR, 1 NH Red! happy me :) he got 4 production turkey poults for himself!

Comments (10)