SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cplover

Death by finish touches--Need Advice & Reno Update

cplover
12 years ago

The good news is that the cabinets, soapstone, hardwood floors are all in. :) Bad news- still waiting on plumber to install water lines for fridge and DW and gas line for range and my kitchen is not usable. They told me last it would be done August 1st now I am hoping it is done by DH's birthday 8/11. But I am not holding my breath.

Problem is that all this time has given me too much time to think about finishing touches (hardware, light fixtures, kitchen table, backsplash). Problem is that my kitchen is covered in cardboard to protect the cabinets and there are piles of GC "crap" all over including in my soon to be dining area. I thought once I received my hardware samples I could decide between polished and satin nickel- but no such luck. It is difficult when it is still looks like a war zone and my soapstone is in hiding. Then the Electrician wants to install light fixtures-- is he crazy? I told him I have not picked out a table. Was originally thinking white but afraid now that there might be too much white, maybe I need more wood tones, like mahogany? AND to pick out a light fixture to above table-- I need to know what the table looks like. I told him, it is like this---the light is a finishing touch much like shoes to an outfit. You do not pick out the shoes first and then pick a dress-- much easier to pick the dress first and find shoes to match.

So any advice as to how to pick out this finishing details? I feel liking I am playing a game of what came first, chicken or egg?

Also if this helps:

Floors: Natural Red Oak

Cabinets: Simply White - Ikea Lidingo

Faucets: Moen Arbor in Chrome

Appliances: stainless steel

Wall Color: BM Gray Wisp

Oh and I guess this would help too! :)

View of Dining Area from Living Room

Standing in Dining Area looking at Kitchen/Peninsula

Comments (8)