SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

Jumping to conclusions...

My wife was gifted with a Crepe (Crape) Myrtle back in April. We were told that it would not bloom while it was in its pot, but living in a mobile home community that has a "You plant it, we own it" policy, we decided to keep it in it's pot (and now we'll be transplanting it to a bigger, more eye-pleasing pot as it has become root-bound).

Yesterday it started putting out it's flowers, despite what the nay-sayers would have had us believe. The blossoms were blood-red in color (as seen in the picture), which is a bit different than what I have seen thus far, so I'm expecting the blossoms to fade a bit as time goes by. However, today while checking on it, I saw that three more buds had popped and were starting to push out their blooms and to my surprise (again) these look like they're going to be white.

Now, I admit, I'm no horticulturist. I'm more of a tech geek and only a very amateur gardener with minimal (but expanding) knowledge. However, I have grown up in the South and seen Crepe Myrtles in bloom almost every year of my 39 years and I have NEVER seen, to my recollection, a Crepe Myrtle with more than one color blossom on it (not that I was really paying attention). They have always been white, pink, dark pink or purple. I'm going to be checking on it again tomorrow and the next day as the flowers form, but I thought I would pose the question to those who are more knowledgeable in the ways of Crepe Myrtles than myself. How common is it for a Crepe Myrtle to put out more than one color flower? A quick search on the internet only reveled a few reports on an odd crepe myrtle that had many different colors, but nothing about a variety that actually put out more than one color. So now I turn over the microphone to you guys...

Picture of the Crepe Myrtle when it first put out its blossoms:

{{gwi:400134}}

Comments (13)