SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patlovesdirt

I Smell a Rat! (Make that CAT, as in Litter Box)

patlovesdirt
14 years ago

So I just finished completely refurbishing the first of many beds - the smallest (got to approach this overhauling gradually...work up to it, lol!). I attacked maple roots from the bed. All the plants were divided and/or moved, smiling and happy. I lost one that I replanted too deeply - it sank in the newly fluffed soil followed by days of rain. My bad. The whole thing, while bare looking but healthy, is sure to be worth all the work next spring and summer. The last thing I did was spread lovely cedar bark mulch. Neat, tidy and waiting for June...

Yesterday there were several large areas of disturbed mulch. I cursed the squirrels and fixed the mess. Today more disturbance. Really bad - plants covered with mulch. The squirrels denied any involvement. My elderly dog told me to look elsewhere. As I set about to repair the damage, I noticed that unmistakable smell. Saw clumps of cat poo. We don't have a cat but we've seen some new strays around our neighborhood.

How do I stop them from using my flower beds for their powder room? I do have a dog - she's old and scared of cats (mice too).

Comments (12)