SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjrosaphile

What does your Pope John Paul II shrub look like?

cjrosaphile
13 years ago

My PJPII has beautiful blooms and fragrance, that's for sure. But, the shrub shape itself and foliage don't impress me. It just doesn't seem to be very vigorous. I have had some relatives: Secret and Tiffany and both were not vigorous either and were shovel pruned.

Went to the Portland Rose garden a few weeks ago and their PJPIIs looked like mine, so I thought that I would ask everyone. What does yours look like? Thanks, CJ

Comments (38)

• windeaux
    13 years ago

I purchased PJPII from J&P the first year it was available (3 or 4 yrs ago). It was the smallest bare root plant I'd ever received from J&P, & it turned out to be a real underachiever in my garden -- very small blooms on a very wimpy bush. I was surprised because of all the raves reviews about the variety.

This spring I ordered a second PJP from S&W. It also was a very small bare root in comparison to the others I received from that supplier. The two PJPs are now growing in close proximity to each other; the difference between the two plants is remarkable. The newer of the two is performing MUCH better than my original -- the bush is sturdier and has more dense foliage, & it produces more (& larger) blooms. If it weren't for the strong lemony fragrance, I might suspect that my first plant is a variety other than PJP. At any rate, my older one will be SP'd come fall. I've read here of people getting weak plants that just don't thrive for whatever reason, & I think that may be the case with some PJP plants.

As far as I can determine, ALL PJPs now in commerce are ownroot plants (a la J&P's 'New Generation'). It would be interesting to know how it would perform if grafted. FWIW, a newer J&P introduction that also seems to be available only as an ownroot is 'Sedona'.

• rosecorgis
    13 years ago

Mine is 2 yrs old and grafted. It's a J&P but purchased locally (where I could see the plant before buying). It's absolutely gorgeous. The main canes are thick and strong (at least an inch diameter). Flowers are at about 4' high.

Last year when I did the winter pruning I pruned very lightly (as I do my Austins). It grew so much that it was 5' tall and couldn't support the blooms. They fell over and the middle of the bush got so thick that leaves yellowed from lack of light. This year I pruned more like a hybrid tea -- took off some height and made is vased shaped. That's what it needed because it's been wonderful this year.

• Related Discussions

How does Pope John Paul II do in rainy Oregon?

Q

Comments (5)
    I live in northwest Missouri which is zone 5/b or 6/a depending on which map you look at. I bought two PJPII roses last year and loved them. Vigorous and healthy growing with outstanding blooms with incredible fragrance. They look to have overwintered very well even w/o any protection. Everyone should get this rose if they like Hybrid Teas and especially white ones. John
    ...See More

Pope John Paul II is blooming

Q

Comments (8)
    Thank you Jim and Denise. Denise, I'm somewhat disappointed in JFK myself, but I'm not giving up on it yet. I planted mine last year and it bloomed twice. While it is a good bloomer, it gave me only a handful of pretty ones. This year the spring blooms were horrible. Of course weather conditions do make a difference. Mine is setting on some buds now and I am anxious to see what they look like. I am hoping JFK just takes awhile to be at its best, according to some that is the case. I also planted Moondance and it has had one bloom, but I can't tell much about it yet. I do think PJPII could possibly be a winner.
    ...See More

Iceberg vs. Pope John Paul II

Q

Comments (26)
    I've just started posting after lurking for many years. I've harrased my family and friends with flower pics for long enough, I thought I would go global. ;) Thank you so much for your sweet comments! Seil & jjpeace, I grew up in Michigan in zone 5 (at the time). I know exactly how hard growing roses there is! I remember my mom thought our roses were coming down with a dread disease that turned all our roses, one by one, year after year, into single dark red roses. I only discovered who the good Dr.Huey was after extensive research at the library (pre-Internet days). Where I am now, you don't have to be a great gardener to grow reasonable healthy roses. I will say though, there is nothing as beautiful as Michigan in the summer, all those lush green rolling hills, long days and colorful sunsets. :) Jjpeace, I'll post a pic of iceberg in spring if I can find one.
    ...See More

Pope John Paul II

Q

Comments (32)
    No medical attention unless you count me being an RN lol. I've actually been stung a few times now. The first time I didn't really know what stung me and I was thinking it was a spider and was considering going to the Dr but then I went out to look really good under the leaves and saw that it was those caterpillars and researched a little to find out what they were. They aren't deadly or anything..perhaps if someone was actually allergic to them. They do hurt really bad and I am not a whimp about pain normally lol. Don't get me wrong you guys, I don't really think PJP2 attracts them in everyones yard and you should definitely get this rose! They just like him in my yard for some reason but I still grow him. I also don't spray at all because we have a lot of endangered little green tree frogs all over the place and they love my roses. They hide in the flowers and eat bugs. No clue if they eat the Saddleback caterpillars or not. I may go ahead and use NEEM on the caterpillars if I get a big infestation of them this year. I will have to make sure to knock them off with a stick into a cup of something after I spray them to prevent the frogs from eating them full of the NEEM.
    ...See More
  • jaxondel
    13 years ago

Rosecorgis,

Is your J&P 'Pope John Paul II' grafted onto Fortuniana rootstock? If not, then it's likely that you plant is an ownroot.

It probably would have been clearly marked on the container in your local nursury if it was a Fortuniana graft. I could be mistaken, but I think this year is the very first year that J&P has offered it on Fortuniana. J&P's wholesale site lists 'Pope John Paul II' as being available only as an ownroot, so I have to assume that container plants of that variety sold to nurseries would be ownroots. The retail site is currently listing only the Fortuniana graft.

• greenhaven
    13 years ago

I thought mine had died the first winter, but I don't winter-protect. Shocked to see it come back spring of '09! This year it is stronger than it was last year, but still weak. Still keeps pumping out heavenly blooms, though. I am going to get one or three more as soon as I can get the rest of my pot ghetto planted and justify it. :o)

• mike_in_new_orleans
    13 years ago

I think mine is own-root. As I sit here, I haven't run down to look for a bud union, but I believe that's how it came. Mine is only two years old. At first it was not at all impressive, smallish blooms, not very many, and a slow-growing bush. This spring it has taken off more and is more on-par with my other roses. I think the difference may simply be that it is own-root and therefore needs a couple years to catch up. Mine just finished a quite respectible flush of 12-15 blooms. Very nice appearance and fragrance. So far it is growing upright but slightly spreading, fairly bushy. I'll bet it looks even better next year. I tend to have a lot of trouble with thrips damage here. I've been impressed that PJPII seems reasonably resistant to their damage--for a white rose, that is.
    Mike

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

I tried twice. Both times it died before ever producing nice blooms...just dwindled away. One of the weakest roses I have ever bought and I have bought many. Now its spot is taken by Moondance and Fabulous (who is just that!)

• everyrose
    13 years ago

The first year I was really impressed. It seemed to be very vigorous and disease resistant but it has been shrinking and now two years later its a weak spindly plant. I'm considering shovel pruning it but I really want it to succeed--the blooms are gorgeous and fragrant. If it was a grafted plant I would get another--sometimes you get a bad graft. But an own root plant--how can they screw it up?

I'm very disappointed in J and P "new generation" own roots. It seems that they are all doing this--doing well the first year and dwindling down after that. I've shovel pruned most of them, the others are on my SP list.

• greenhaven
    13 years ago

Interesting. (Really this is the third thread in a row that I am the eight poster on, so I had to say SOMEthing, right?)

I sure do want to give PJPII another go. To own-root or to graft?

• kittymoonbeam
    13 years ago

The first one I had was grafted from J&P and it was very weak- finally dying away. The second one was from Orchard Supply Hardware and I don't know for sure but I think it is on Huey. This plant sat in a prime rose location and didn't do much for two years. Years 3 and 4 have been outstanding. New canes always growing and flowers keep forming if I keep the hips cut off. It's 4 feet tall and 5 feet wide now.

• jaxondel
    13 years ago

Dr. Keith Zary of Jackson & Perkins hybrized the HT 'Pope John Paul II'. Jackson & Perkins holds the exclusive rights to the rose, its propagation and its wholesale distribution. If you did not purchase your 'Pope John Paul II' directly from J&P, the reseller who sold you the rose purchased it wholesale from J&P. J&P introduced 'Pope John Paul II' as an ownroot rose and has never sold 'Pope John Paul II' grafted onto Dr Huey or Multiflora rootstock.

After it introduced 'Pope John Paul II', J&P contracted with MerryGro Farms of Florida to produce a number of its rose varieties (including PJPII) budded onto Fortuniana rootstock. MerryGro Farms went out of business shortly after the contract was negotiated, but J&P proceeded with its plans to market a selection of roses on Fortuniana. So, those of you who have (or had) a grafted 'Pope John Paul II' have it on Fortuniana -- and you've not had it very long.

If you're absolutely certain that you have a PJPII grafted onto a rootstock other than Fortuniana, I suspect that J&P would really like to know where you purchased it.

• everyrose
    13 years ago

Seems like most of us who are complaining about PJPII are in the PNW. Perhaps it doesn't like our climate or our soils?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

Mine is own root (a J&P bodybag from a big box store) and is a decent-sized plant, but the canes are a little on the thin side. I attributed this to it not being in full sun. I've seen a couple that were big 5x4' strong plants. Mine is maybe 5x3'.

• charleney
    13 years ago

Mine was purchased as a beautiful, blooming, potted rose, from a very reputable dealer. The shrub was beautiful. It dwindled this year but actually came back, but spindly canes and only 2 blooms. But I mulch deeply and we had nothing but rain day after day this spring, so thought it had drowned. Gonna pour the old alfalfa on it today with the rest of the roses. Hope I can get it really healthy. I bought it on the day a dear friend died, so it is important to me.

• windeaux
    13 years ago

The confusion about the roots on PJPII probably is caused in part because we tend to think of own-root roses as arriving on our doorsteps as leafy containerized plants, not as dormant bareroots.

It seems to me that J&P isn't attempting to draw as much attention to their 'New Generation' plants as they once did. In the descriptions of each rose variety, you now have to look for that little stylized rose symbol (and be aware of what it means) to know if you're ordering an own-root rather than a grafted plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: J&P Own-roots

• User
    13 years ago

Seems like most of us who are complaining about PJPII are in the PNW. Perhaps it doesn't like our climate or our soils?

I was directed to this thread from a thread I started HERE. I live in North Carolina and mine grows like a bonsai. It is not so short, but no branch grows more than an inch or two away from from the main cane. The flowers grow right off the cane. It looks like a few fuzzy green sticks from a distance :-)

In NC we have Witherspoon Rose. They are a great place and sell potted roses in the late spring. I think the one I have will be replaced with a vigorous one I pick out there next year. Thank you all for your posts.

• everyrose
    13 years ago

I cancelled Pope John Paul II's date with Mr Shovel. I gave him a big dose of Miracid as a last resort and he is now doing great. I suspect that this rose is a heavy feeder and needs a boost from liquid fertilizer. It also may be fussy about pH-- my soil pH is slightly high so I used Miracid. Since this is an own root plant, we can expect that it won't respond exactly like a plant grafted on Dr Huey. Dr huey is tolerant of of high pH but PJPII may not be.

My advice is to check pH and fertilize with the appropriate liquid fertilizer. This may be a case where "crack for roses" is needed. But if you live in a cold winter area DONT DO IT NOW!!! You dont want to stimulate a lot of tender new growth this close to winter. Plan on supplementing your regular fertilizer program with liquid fertilizer starting next Spring.

• kstrong
    13 years ago

Well, I thought I had a PJPII on Dr. Huey, but now that you mention the "new generation" bareroots, I'm not at all sure (and starting to doubt that, actually). I got my first PJPII as a bareroot, and a very big bareroot at that, as I had first choice from my nursery (Laguna Hills) on the day they came in, the first year they sold them. It dwindled that first year, and is still a two blooms per cycle plant. (Ick!) Deb Zary gave me my next plant -- a band sized own root that got a slightly better location in the garden. Both the original plant and the one Deb gave me are anemic little plants that barely bloom. Then last February, I got one of the J&P grown fortuniana plants -- that one took off and is growing very well. That fortuniana plant is already head and shoulders above the two older ones in my garden, and it's still in a 5 gallon pot. Blooms more too, and the blooms are larger and just seem healthier.

And my roses get fed VERY well (monthly with dry organics and an occasional booster with a soluble fertilizer, which varies between Magnum Grow, alfalfa tea, liquid kelp or fish emulsion and weekly sprays that include Response). So it's not a problem here with feeding them enough -- they could not eat more.

All of which leads me to believe that this is a rose that, despite what J&P's marketing group says, does not grow well on its own roots.

I have an actual Dr. Huey plant that just came up on its own because I had a pot there where the roots grew through the bottom of the pot and then I moved the pot severing those roots (and the dang Dr. Huey grew), and I may just go graft a PJPII up to it to see what happens.

Hmmm -- much to think about here. But I don't think I would ever recommend this rose on its own roots. It has great year around growing conditions here and has not been good on its own roots.

Kathy

• mendocino_rose
    13 years ago

Mine was completely lack luster for over a year. Now it is a fine large floriferous shrub.

• windeaux
    13 years ago

My two PJPII plants give me quite a few blooms, most of which are of fair to poor quality, and often on weak stems. However, the two or three really fine roses they've produced have been enough to make me want to keep the plants around in the hope that they'll eventually amount to something.

I strongly suspect, though, that PJPII on its own roots is never going to reach its full potential in my garden. Perhaps as a grafted plant it wouldn't perform any better in my heat/humidity, but I'd sure like to try. I've not yet attempted any Fortuniana grafts -- maybe PJP will be my first. Would rather have it on Huey or Multiflora, though . . .

Kstrong, I hope you decide to graft PJP to Huey (and succeed in the effort). I don't know if there are any legal implications to doing that, but if there are, perhaps (since you're acquainted with Ms. Zary) you could get some kind of dispensation. At any rate, I'd sure like to know how it performs on that rootstock.

• susan4952
    13 years ago

Worth every aggravating moment. lol

• john_ca
    13 years ago

I got PJPII as a half-priced bagged specimen in April and planted it immediately. Early growth was a bit slow, but similar to other roses planted in the same condition at the same time. The early flowers were a bit small but still very nice with a fairly high petal count. I put in a drip system and this and other roses planted in the same bed, shifted into high gear and began to grow more quickly with markedly larger foliage. The flower size increased greatly with subsequent flushes. The plant is now around 3 feet high and around 2.5 feet across. It is a winner in my garden and easily the best white that I have ever grown. Once the plant had some size, I was feeding it with around 1/3 cup of Vigoro granular rose fertilizer. I am suprised to read that so many accomplished rose gardeners are having a difficult time growing this rose.

• susan4952
    13 years ago

{{gwi:304633}}

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    13 years ago

Two years ago I transplanted a boxed one that didn't do much. As an experiment I cut all the canes off, as it didn't have much of a root system. Up came one vigorous cane. It now has at least 8 canes coming off that one cane, which is now 1/2 inch thick! The bush is now 3 feet tall and produces flushes of blooms, though the mid summer blooms were small, as expected. It is easily the biggest "single" cane rose I've grown.

• dennisb1
    13 years ago

I got mine from a local nursery, but I think it originated from J&P. Mine finished itâÂÂs 3rd season. ItâÂÂs small (3âÂÂx3âÂÂ) but healthy, this is the first year I would say itâÂÂs well formed. I love it, itâÂÂs the only white HT I havenâÂÂt killed. IâÂÂm glad itâÂÂs small, thatâÂÂs what I was hoping for. It bloomed well most of the season, I sprayed once/month and it got no disease (which is pretty significant around here). IâÂÂm trying to propagate it, so that tells you that itâÂÂs a keeper for me.

• mamasllamas
    12 years ago

ok was looking through this old post just bought PJPII at a small local shop for 15.00
    has a weeks tag on it then says in small print its a J&P rose. it has a strong root stock on it, it smells divine!
    {{gwi:304634}}it

• jaxondel
    12 years ago

I still have my PJP plant, and am still unimpressed with it. I think it's a rose that probably performs best under conditions milder than what I can provide.

I think that it is inherently a fine rose -- if you can supply the climatic conditions it seems to require. I'll be removing mine this fall. If it ever becomes available as a grafted plant (on anything other than Fortuniana), I might be tempted to try it again.

• Jackie P
    3 years ago

It's an old discussion, I didn't even have PJPII at the time it was current. Mine is a grafted rose from Edmunds roses. I got it 4 years ago, and it has been a vigorous rose / frequently blooming from the start. It came bare root. The flowers are huge and and the foliage pretty black spot free for our area - I'm in seattle. It also is in a location that gets a bit more shade than is ideal, near a huge Japanese black pine. It gets at least 6 hours of sun but it's morning sun, the rose is shaded by the house from early afternoon on. I have very few hybrid tea roses I've bought for my yard, most are different varieties of old garden roses. This one is such a great rose I made an exception, and it's been a great rose / gorgeous & fragrant right next to my front porch.

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    3 years ago

Thanks Jackie, I just got one this year. It was only $8 so I figured it was worth a shot.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    3 years ago

I love mine - its an old one from Jackson Perkins. It looks rough right now, we just survived "Snowmageddon" where temps got to 3. It was horribly cold all week. It is still alive - a big bush - and I am waiting to see what other tiny leaves come out on it before I start pruning it. Smells divine and has been a hardy rose for me. I may get another one just it case. One of my favorite whites.

• PDXRobertZ8
    3 months ago

Hey Kristine LeGault 8a pnwhow is your PJPII faring now? I am tempted to get a standard this spring (have the shrub already and love it).

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 months ago

Actually, second year it started dying. There was no reason, it just withered and died. I would actually try again but not with a standard. The blooms are incredible!

• PDXRobertZ8
    3 months ago

Bummer about it dying, Kristine! But yes, I love the blooms on my shrub. Great fragrance, and no disease here.

3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

My nail lady was gifted a Pope John shrub and I am really watching it to see how hers does. I was really bummed to lose mine because it was beautiful and really spendy lol

• HU-931191612
    3 months ago

out of all my roses this has been one of the easiest and nearly always in bloom from early spring to late fall. grafted rose from edmonds roses. its planted in only half day sun / east facing location in the PNW and gets less blackspot than all my other roses except the rugosas or tea noisettes.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    3 months ago

Kristine,

I think the most impressive part of your statement is that your nail lady actually knows the variety name of her roses. Do you only patronize rose experts? Do your pharmacist, grocer, and doctor know their roses names too? Lol!

I think PJPII is an all around ideal rose.

3 months ago

Ben, sadly my nail lady is a rose killer. I gave get an Easy Does It and she killed it. But she has the most amazing garden and huge pots of tropicals, but roses, nope . I try to guide her but I guess that she is better at other plants.

Another client gifted her the Pope so I am really trying to help her keep it healthy.