SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grandma_gardener_02

my 4 yr. old yoshino cherry's branches are dying

Lauril Rohde
14 years ago

We bought a good size yoshino cherry tree about 4 years ago. It is planted in an area that in winter leaves it quite exposed to winter winds. It was doing fairly well last year. Noticed then that not all the branches were leafing out. My husband pruned those out and it seemed like the rest did okay. This year we had an unexpected hard frost after many plants and trees were in bud. Then June and so far July have been rain, rain, rain, and almost all cloudy days with temps remaining in the 50's to low 70's. Very unusual for this part of the country. The tree is in a location that is extremely well drained so even with the rain, don't know if is getting saturated. However, I think the soil has gotten very wet at a much deeper level than is usual. Again branches from last year never got leaves. Now a main branch that WAS leafing out is dying - all leaves are turning brown and crispy. My husband pulled on the trunk a little to see how secure the root ball was in the ground and it seems like it is loose. Is this tree a "goner" or is there still hope? Really hate to lose it.

Comments (4)