SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
regalpaw

Yoshino Cherry Tree tips

RegalPaw
11 years ago

Please be patient and read what i have written as it may get asked eventually anyway.

I was out and about today and drove by Home Depot, taking the usual shortcut to get through to the other shopping centers when i looked over and they had some weeping cherry blossom trees! i made a swift U-Turn and parked, we all got out and started looking, as i was standing there people were snatching these Yoshino's, Okame and weepings up around me before i could get a good look at them, so i made a haste decision and gripped a Yoshino Cherry.

I bought a bigger pot for it, 24" i believe and some good soil. I know little ot nothing about caring for a tree, especially one that seems to be this delicate, but when i saw this for $20 (I searched a few months back and they were almost $100 shipped from another state/country).

Just to make sure i didn't do anything wrong, i cut the plastic planter it came in because i didn't want to dig and yank on it, i use my hands only and broke the dirt around the roots off, but not completely to the core, i sat it about half way, and covered it with new soil, i smoothed out the dirt but i did NOT pat it down (was i supposed too at all?) following that i evenly watered it, waiting for water to appear into the drip pan, which is where i am at now.

At the moment i am in an apartment where i obviously cannot make any land or even interior modification, i plan to be moved within the next 8 to 10 month into a permanent home, the yard is not large but it around half an acre, my entire plan an goal was to have a small man made waterfall built with settling stones and 2-3 cherry trees on both sides of it, a bit like a Zen Garden, and this tree is my adventure in learning to take care of one.

Right now i have it inside because i wasn't sure i wanted to just throw it out back yet. My first and most important (to me) question is; How am i supposed to train this tree? Right now it is about 7ft tall and has 12-15 1ft or so branches and they have green, but mostly reddish(case) buds on the branches.

Iv'e seen many yoshino cherry trees that are not growing straight up like this, they are leaning and curve. when do i need to remove the loosely tied bamboo stick?

I will provide a picture of it once i get a bit of charge on the camera tonight, iv'e done a bit of research on pruning but none of it was on a baby tree, i have no idea how old this tree is either, the tag claims "03-13 3.734 G Grown for Bell Nursery Kitty Hawk, NC." so i am under the impression this tree is not even a month old.

I will be moving it outside in the morning, i cannot place anything in front of the apartment as per rules, however in the back i have a small patio area facing no other residence and good privacy, the only problem there is it is shaded by several very large pine trees and the majority of sun is late evenings.

Comments (7)