SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ken_nout

What discrepancies have you found?

Ken_NoUT
16 years ago

I just moved into a new home last fall so I have had to start over with my roses. I know I am going to have a lot of variance on how a rose performs and even the color on some roses due to the new climate and soil. I have found though in some of the varieties I have purchased that I had before significant differences to plant and bloom form than I had before.

One example is Reine des Violettes, what I had in California was own root with hardly any discernable thorns at all. My new one is grafted from a different source and has tiny thorns covering the canes. The blooms also seem much smaller and lighter and less purple, again which I may attribute to the age and environment.

I also have put in a grafted Cardinal Hume which has very double small deep red blooms where before on my own root it had long low branches with smoky crimson semi-double blooms. They just don't seem at all like the same rose.

I have seen some other differences but not so blatant as these. What discrepancies have you seen from different suppliers of the same rose?

Ken

Comments (8)