SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thepollywogpond

tree spacing and small yard canopies

c2g
12 years ago

I didn't want this question to get buried in my previous thread, so I wanted to make it a new topic.

I'm a relative newb on this site, but this is one of my favorite resources for tree info outside of books and talking to arborists/folks in the local tree community. I recognize the fact that most people on here have much more knowledge than me when it comes to this topic, but one thing I notice is that I consistently get push-back when it comes to the # of trees I want to plant in my yard.

I value everyone's advice, and I see the rationale behind why you shouldn't plant so close to structures, but I'd really like to know if the reason for the push-back on trying to create a mingled canopy on my roughly 2000 sq ft back yard. Is it purely aesthetics? Resale value? I recognize the beauty of a wide-crowned white oak in an open field, but I take daily walks through the woods, and I can easily find a grouping of 10 mature oaks, beech, birch, etc. in the same size space. The dominant ones have a broad crown, while some are narrow from exerting their energy to crack the canopy. I find as much beauty in this as well, if not more. This is what my "yard" looked like before people decided to cut most everything down for houses and roads, etc.

I spent a lot of time, money, and sweat renovating my property. Still, for me, nothing man-made can compare to the random beauty of what occurs in nature. By planting multiple large B&B trees in my space, I figure this is the closest I can get to attaining that aside from cutting into an old growth forest.

Granted, if I were looking to flip the property, I could focus my energies on installing a hot tub, gazebo, massive stainless steel grill built into stone patio, iPad-controlled lighting/audio, etc., but my goal is to create a naturalized, native wildlife habitat on my little space instead of turning it into a Yard Crashers episode. I don't plan on moving in the next few decades. From what I gather, tree diversity = insect diversity = more birds and more wildlife.

Not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers - I value all the feedback I've gotten over the past year since I've taken to planting, but I'd really like to know if there's something I'm missing as to why one couldn't plant 3-4 canopy trees and, say, 5 understory trees in a space of my size given my goals?

Comments (19)