SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bungalow_house

is front yard too small even for small trees?

bungalow_house
16 years ago

Hi. I need some unbiased advice, hoping someone here can provide it. (The nursery rep said "sure, you can do that" but he had money at stake.)

I desperately would like to plant two trees in my front yard to "frame" the view of the house, but I'm afraid it's too small. I'm thinking Washington Hawthorn. I want something kind of sprawling and airy instead of round and dense. Hawthorn is recommended by our city as a street tree, so I don't have any question of appropriateness in that respect, just size. The area between the front edge of the gutter and the front sidewalk is probably only about 11'. The tree supposedly gets 20' wide. The porch roof is very shallow, so it could hang over the roof some, though I know I would need to keep it trimmed back so it's not touching. I'm sure my roofer would not approve. To keep it more off the roof, I could plant closer to the sidewalk, but will that have a detrimental effect on the roots? Everything I've read says keep it at *least* 3' from the sidewalk. Each tree would also be roughly 3' from a driveway.

Also, I have a gas line on one edge of the house, and the spot I'm hoping for is right over that.

So with all those obstacles, does it sound like it's possible? Or does someone have some other recommendation for a tree or shrub that would provide a sprawling, airy kind of frame around a 1-1/2 story house with a very small front lawn?

Thanks for advice!

(I don't see how to attach a pic here, if I figure it out I will post one.)

Comments (31)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH