SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zemiq

I need some Betta help/advice

zemiq
17 years ago

Hello everyone,

I want to make sure that my Betta survive. I've looked through some posts and read various websites. I decided to get a Betta today, and then got talked into 2 (in separate tanks of course!). This is the setup I have:

a 2.5 gallon tank that will house one Betta

a 2 gallon tank that will house the other Betta

a 1 gallon tank for my lonely guppy -- his tank mate died while at a friend's house during my vacation :(

How often should I change the water in these two Betta tanks? Does once or twice a week sound adequate to keep everything under control?

Would the Bettas get along with Corys? I've got two, though I have been considering finding a pet store to give them to. If they'd get along with my Bettas, I'd rather keep them, though.

Do Bettas actually like foliage in the tank? I bought some silk plants (so they wouldn't tear their fins), but I'm not clear on if they actually enjoy having plants, or if they just don't mind.

I may need a heater to try to keep the tanks warm enough. Is a little 7 watt heater good enough, so long as I keep an eye on the temperature?

My last question, do I need filtration, or would a bubble stone suffice? I know they do not like a lot of current, and I'm not sure which option is best. If I do not have a filter, should I change the water more often than once or twice a week? Right now, one of my tanks is uncycled and I read I should change 30% of the water daily, does that sound right? (I have pre-treated the water, to remove chlorine and all that other harmful stuff)

I know that larger tanks are easier to manage, but I haven't the space to keep a larger tank at the moment. These smaller tanks are spread throughout my room and it's the best alternative I've got. I appreciate anyone taking the time to help me out! I want them to do really well and be happy in their larger environments.

Comments (6)

Sponsored