SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geo_7a

Rose order for Spring-Rogue Valley or Pickering

geo_7a
15 years ago

Was planning on getting 4 roses from Rogue Valley for Spring shipment: Scabrosa (hips, carnation like scent), Marianne, Allegra, and Umbra. The latter 3 being Paul Barden gallica roses that appealed to me for a number of reasongs (minimal suckering, good fragrance, a yellow (Marianne), a soft pink (Allegra) and an almost bluish purple (Umbra).

However, they have been out of the last two for quite awhile, so I am starting to think they would still be out in the September/October time frame when I would like to place the order.

So, as a backup plan, I'm considering roses from Pickering:

Rene d'Anjou (I think I could use another moss)

Duchesse de Montebello (a parent of Allegra, so I'd have that, at least in part. Also, multiflora graft-less suckering?)

Scabrosa (some things remain consistent)

Isabel Renaissance (to complete the red rose trilogy with Illusion & Erotica - is supposed to have a good fragrance and good disease resistance).

The more I think about it, the more I lean to the backup plan-variety is important, isn't it?

The balance of the plan is still from Palatine (Laguna, Moonlight, Aloha Kordes roses).

And that might do it! Time, then, to think about interspersing (present consideration along the lines of lavender, thyme, purslane, lamb's quarters; maybe some cornflowers). Maybe some perennials? (4 o'clocks, moonflowers, geraniums, marigolds, nasturtiums)?

Any additional insight would be appreciated-thanks, yet again!

Comments (8)