SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texasfreckles_gw

Is this sun damage on my roses?

texasfreckles
12 years ago

I'm having trouble with my roses this summer. I'm in Fort Worth, Texas where the summer is hot, hot, hot and the overnight temperatures are staying in the 80's. Everything in my garden is stressed except the Rock Roses and the Lantana, but I'm worried about my roses.

My roses are in my front yard garden. My house faces due east and the roses are on the south east portion on of the garden. They get no less than eight hours of full sun each day.

I try not to get the leaves of my roses wet when I water them, but one day a couple of weeks ago, we had a freak rain shower in the middle of the day. the rain lasted about 15 minutes and then the blazing sun came back out. Could that have caused this damage to my rose bushes?

{{gwi:302403}}

This is one of my Knock-Outs. Sorry the photos are so large, but I thought it would help being able to see the leaves close-up.

{{gwi:302404}}

Another Knock-Out.

{{gwi:302405}}

This is my white Knock-Out which I moved in the spring. On top of the dead leaves, it's turning yellow.

{{gwi:302406}}

I'm going to be devastated if I lose this one. It's a Souvenir de la Malmaison I planted this spring.

{{gwi:302407}}

This one is my Duchess de Brabant. This damage looks different to me. Is that Black Spot? It's the only one with this type of damage.

I'm a new rose gardner so any advice at all is appreciated. If it's sun damage, should I rig up some type of shade cloth? If I use a shade cloth, how long do I leave it up? Do I need to remove all the damaged leaves? If so, do I remove the entire leaf or just the leaflets that are damaged? Do I need to provide some type of fertilizer for the one that's turning yellow?

Sorry to have so many questions, I just don't want to lose my roses!

Thanks so much!

Melanie

Comments (14)