SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
serenasyh

update on my winter damaged tree roses

serenasyh
15 years ago

hi, everyone. I am at work now but will soon post pics of my tree roses tomorrow night ... but here is the absolutely lovely pics of Evies that Evie sent me of her gorgeous tree rose.

{{gwi:242421}}

I am doing a comparison/call for those who live in the Midwest area and if any are still stuck in dormancy like mine.

One of my tree roses is finally! starting to have real baby branch stems... It has layers of very pale green opening out (pineapple style). I am now certain it will fully live but whether it will produce any flower this year is only 20% chance, my guess? because it's so slow to leaf out.

The other tree rose I am still freaking out over... My basal buds have dried out to brown, one of whom only a pale pink still remains... Another stem which I desperately tried to prune when the brown started to spread suddenly started to spread yesterday but I dare not prune because there is still a very red bud below the brown. Maybe that bud too will die like the other bud. Tomorrow morning I am going to soak a sponge with a plastic bag as Karl taught me as a last desperate attempt speed the leafing for the sick rose tree. There are still quite a few buds on that sick rose tree but only 1/2 the amount of my healthier tree rose and the buds are darker red, not the brilliant red of the buds on my healthier tree rose. The sick rose tree only has 3 green branches to it and have not died back at all yet (knock on wood)

What worries me is that both trees are very badly dehydrated I feel from root shock and freeze shock. I'm going to be asking Karl if there any safe nourisher I can use for this issue at this stage. I am thinking root-based dehydration because even though the trunks are green, they have some thinner crack marks and the union grafts are very grey looking, wrinkly . I also read somewhere online that very young tree saplings (not tree roses) subjected to winter shock appear to be fine for a few weeks then give up the ghost... I am clinging to the hope that so long as there still are buds to my sick rose tree, there is still hope.

Evie thanks so much for the beautiful tree rose piccies... Be sure to send the 2nd tree rose when it starts to bloom. It is soooo lovely! I'd love to see the entire tree too so I can see how you're pruning it and maintaining its shape...

Comments (4)