SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elemire_gw

What could be damaging my rose?

elemire
13 years ago

Today inspecting my garden I noticed weird thing happening to my Paul's Himalayan Musk. Basically he has quite a good new growth, but some tips of the lateral shots seem to be damaged, as if burned or eaten by something. Mostly the damage is on the very tips of the shots, leaves look a bit wrinkled and in some cases a few inches of a whole shot are dead and blackened (usually hanging down as if broken, but without actual broken damage). I did not spray him at all this season (neither a season before) and it can't be sun damage, since he grows on the north-west corner of the wall, so not that much direct sunlight.

I have no idea what that is, did not notice any pest/mildew on him, and it does not happen to all shots. Leaves seem to be healthy and no weird growth or anything. He is a bit loosely tied to the support, so maybe that could be bruising from the wind? Another thought was frost bite, but we did not have that cold nights and none of my other roses/plants seem to have suffered from frost damage. Also I remember seeing some similar damage when pruning him early in the spring, but then I thought it might have been just frost damage from the cold winter we had.

I will try to make a pick tomorrow, a bit worried that it can spread to the other plants if it is some fungi/pest problem.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living