SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tiffy_z5_6_can

Winter is coming... leave bare or cover a newly cleared area?

tiffy_z5_6_can
16 years ago

Started clearing out a small piece of the property that filled with alders, young evergreens, maples, viburnums - just a tangled mess about 5 feet tall in an area 100feet long and about 40 feet wide. It was slow going until DH got into it today and cleared 1/4 of it really well.

You can't 'till' this area as there are huge boulders here and there. Wouldn't want to do that anyway. Full of roots, but nice and peaty.

But what I do want to do is increase the probability that what we are cutting down to the ground will not return. I am proposing that we leave everything bare and since we are close to winter we should let the cold and freeze get at the fresh cuts and the exposed roots. Another idea is to lasagna garden the whole area, but I'm not too keen on that. I think the lasagna will result in more growth next spring coming from what we want to get rid of.

Next year, I do intend on placing lasagna gardens in this area, but plan it out during the winter and use a corner for a compost heap starting next week.

So, what's your thoughts? Leave it bare or dress it up? The goal is to decrease the probability of return.

Comments (11)