SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rvaphotogir

Clear cut path through natural area help

RVAPhotoGirl
8 years ago

Central VA, 7a

Not sure if it was the original owner of the land or the developer but, at some point large paths of forest were leveled through what is now our existing neighborhood. One of those paths went through my yard and unfortunately, right through my 'natural/wooded area'.

Along with the trees and underbrush, this also seems to have removed all top soil. What we've been left with is hard packed, to the point that very little weeds even make it. It's slightly sloped and every time we get a decent rain, the top most layer washes away towards the back and to the right. Enough so that after every good rain I'm gauranteed to trip over all the newly unearthed rocks and roots.

Our plan is to go with it as much as possible. In the front, close to the grass lawn, sits the kids play set (wood chips to be added soon) and we build a fire pit towards the middle left.

I would like to add stones around the pit with a mix of low growing ground covers/moss in and around the stone.

My main question is, what is the best way to handle the soil in this area prior to installing stones/ground covers over the next 12+ months. This won't happen until next fall most likely so thankfully time is on my side.

Should I just leave the area as is and bring in some soil next year? Rake some of the 8+ years of leaves onto it and let that sit for a year then bring in additional soil and mix in with the leaves next fall? Rough up the existing earth first and then rake over the leaves? Is a year of leaves sitting there even long enough to make a difference? I can attempt to remove as many rocks/sticks from the leaves as possible and could mow/mulch them if that's helpful and/or turning the leaves periodically. Maybe add something that would excellerate the decomp?

My goal is to do whatever I can with the year that I have to make this project easier/less expensive if possible and, control the erosion/runoff to keep as much of the existing soil that is there now from washing away as I can.

Any ideas or tips are greatly appreciated!

Comments (4)