SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sabrinatx

Help me think through fireplace placement, and laundry room area.

sabrinatx
8 years ago

Family info. We are a family of 4, mom, dad, and daughter 15 and son 12. We live in South Texas and our house will be built on our 5 acres. The house will face mostly North with a slight tilt to the East. We are planning to have a horse barn built behind the house 200 ft from the back of the house. We're very causal people. We don't host to many get togethers at our place.

So here's whats going on with our plans.

I just received a our preliminary floor plan. We are on our 3rd design, ack! First we were trying really hard to keep total square footage at 3000 but it's just not doable with everything we want, sigh. I've posted our last floor plan and we threw it out and decided we would use the L'Attesa di Vita as inspiration. Here's the link to the plan.

L'Attesa di Vita

The floor plan looks ok and were almost happy with it. I'm not loving the laundry room/garage entrance area and safe room (for gun safe storage). I'm also trying to figure where we want to place the fire place. I've mocked up the three possible locations. First is the exterior wall but that will eliminate some windows and the view to our horse barn in the living room. Second location on the wall shared with the bedroom. This location we'll have to mount the tv over the fire place. If we don't put the fire place here I can add a wall of built ins for the tv with cabinets. The last place is between the dining room and living room. This is what drawled me to this plan. It frees up the exterior wall for more windows and gives us a place for the tv with built ins that's not over the fireplace. Our living room is not large either (18x16). The fireplace will be gas and not really used that often. So mostly for the looks (rustic).

ok hit me with it!

Comments (17)