SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenhavenrdgarden

Clearing large areas

greenhavenrdgarden
12 years ago

Hi. I'm new to my house and I've been tackling the yards bit by bit. My newest area is about 15ft wide and 100ft long on a small part of my side yard. My DH cut down lots of saplings and weed wacked the tall weeds (numerous times bc they come back fast). We are having 4 large trees removed next week. Is there anything I can do this fall or winter that will help me in the spring when the real work for me begins? I was thinking of putting down some tarps to smother the growth and covering them with our never ending supply of leaves. Now I'm confused if newspaper would be better? Either way I will end up tilling the soil in the spring bc we have lots of big rocks in the soil. I have been removing them ft by ft (great exercise for my arms-they are jacked now-lol). I guess I'm asking what the easiest way to get rid if these big weeds? In other areas I've removed the top 12 inches of soil and replaced it with bought topsoil. I'm feeling like that's a waste. This area also has lots of poison ivy so I'm a little more worried. Thanks for reading all this and for any help. I live in CT.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions